A SMALL VICTORY

Old December 4th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default A SMALL VICTORY

For those who might not know the case this woman left her dog here in
Florida to starve to death in a cage with food only feet way. She did not
want the dog to go to a shelter to be put to sleep.

Abrams Sentenced To 8 Months For Dog Abuse

VIERA -- A woman who plead guilty to leaving her dog to starve to death has
been sentenced to eight months behind bars on animal cruelty charges.
In October, Christine Abrams, 30, decided to plead guilty.
Abrams moved out of her Cocoa home and left her German Shepherd, Ella, in a
cage without food or water in March.
Abrams reportedly decided to plead guilty after a judge denied her motion
seeking to throw out key evidence.
Because of the guilty plea, Abrams did not go to trial. Instead, she
entered a plea to the court, which meant the judge had total discretion over
the sentence.

Old December 4th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_2_]

Matthew wrote:

For those who might not know the case this woman left her dog here
in Florida to starve to death in a cage with food only feet way. She
did not want the dog to go to a shelter to be put to sleep.

Abrams Sentenced To 8 Months For Dog Abuse

VIERA -- A woman who plead guilty to leaving her dog to starve to
death has been sentenced to eight months behind bars on animal
cruelty charges. In October, Christine Abrams, 30, decided to plead
guilty. Abrams moved out of her Cocoa home and left her German
Shepherd, Ella, in a cage without food or water in March. Abrams
reportedly decided to plead guilty after a judge denied her motion
seeking to throw out key evidence. Because of the guilty plea,
Abrams did not go to trial. Instead, she entered a plea to the
court, which meant the judge had total discretion over the sentence.

Let's put her food just outside her cell door for 8 months.

Bobble
Old December 4th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Bobble" wrote in message ...
Matthew wrote:

[...]

I second that! (Some people are pure idiots.)

Jill
Old December 4th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Hot Dang. Good news for a change. Poor Dog to be left that way. You
almost hope she has a miserable time in jail for being that kind of person.
ng.com...

Old December 4th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Bobble wrote:

Matthew wrote:

[...]

I don't understand - what was the purpose of putting the food within
view (and smelling range), but not close enough for the dog to get to it?
Was she deliberately torturing the dog? What a whack job. I'm really
glad she's going to prison!! That's a sad story.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 4th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Just guess I figured that neighbors would know she was gone, if someone saw
food, even for a short time, they didn't take action figuring she was taking
care of the dog.

Old December 5th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Flippy[_4_]

This is so sad and very upsetting.

I find it hard to live in a world where some people can be so cruel to
animals. My mind just does not comprehend this behaviour at all.

No wonder I prefer animals to *most* people...

ng.com...

Old December 5th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_4_]

"Flippy" ...
This is so sad and very upsetting.

I find it hard to live in a world where some people can be so cruel to
animals. My mind just does not comprehend this behaviour at all.

No wonder I prefer animals to *most* people...

I SO totally agree with you Flippy, My mind can't comprehend this kind of
behavior either. Poor doggie, I do hope it was rescued and has a good
forever home and that the 'woman' is tormented in jail for what she did,
Shame on her.
8 months isn't long enough time for what she did to her poor dog., IMO.
Kyla
--very angry ATM

ng.com...

Old December 5th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 12:49:59 -0500, "Matthew"
wrote:

For those who might not know the case this woman left her dog here in
Florida to starve to death in a cage with food only feet way. She did not
want the dog to go to a shelter to be put to sleep.

Abrams Sentenced To 8 Months For Dog Abuse

VIERA -- A woman who plead guilty to leaving her dog to starve to death has
been sentenced to eight months behind bars on animal cruelty charges.
In October, Christine Abrams, 30, decided to plead guilty.
Abrams moved out of her Cocoa home and left her German Shepherd, Ella, in a
cage without food or water in March.
Abrams reportedly decided to plead guilty after a judge denied her motion
seeking to throw out key evidence.
Because of the guilty plea, Abrams did not go to trial. Instead, she
entered a plea to the court, which meant the judge had total discretion over
the sentence.

There are some sick, twisted people in the world.

So STARVING TO DEATH (actually, the poor dog would have died of thirst,
a long, slow, horrible death) is somehow 'BETTER' than being humanely
PTS? Apparently the judge and I think alike on this point....

How about FINDING A NEW HOME for the dog?

She might have tried that....but then, it was probably 'too much
trouble...'.

The woman will only be in jail a few months, but it will give her time
to think about what she did.

Unfortunately, for every person who is prosecuted for animal cruelty,
there are thousands who are never caught

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein
Old December 5th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 11:21:07 +1100, "Flippy"
wrote:

This is so sad and very upsetting.

I find it hard to live in a world where some people can be so cruel to
animals. My mind just does not comprehend this behaviour at all.

No wonder I prefer animals to *most* people...

Here's another sad, hard to believe story, though it does have a happy
ending. Back when I retired from the Army in '93 I used to sit in my
recliner with the door open. A neighbor noticed Sunny, my cockatiel
through the doorway - Sunny (RB) couldn't fly because of a broken wing
which didn't heal properly, but she walked all over the apartment and
followed from room to room. As I said, the neighbor saw Sunny, and we
talked about her, and said neighbor went out and bought herself a
cockatiel.

Fast forward a couple months, and the apartment manager is asking me
to go with her to check on my newly bird owning neighbor, as no one
had seen her around for a while and rent is past due. Turns out she
had moved out without notice. The poor bird had been left behind. The
thing about cockatiels is that they are very social birds, and go a
bit crazy if left alone. The poor thing had pulled out most of its
feathers. and no telling how long since the food and water had run
out.

Well, they asked if I wanted the bird, but it looked so sickly that I
said no as I didn't want to expose my bird to anything it had, and a
two room apartment isn't really big enough to quarantine one from
exposing the other.

The happy ending - last I heard, which was probably a couple years
ago, the manager's grandson still had a healthy happy cockatiel.
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby