Kitty Thanksgiving?

Old November 25th 10, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

Default Kitty Thanksgiving?

Marina wrote:

I must have misunderstood Thanksgiving completely, then. I thought it
was in memory of the Indians who helped the Pilgrims when they weren't
doing very well, to thank them for the help and food they shared. This
was what I was taught when I lived in the US as a child.

We here in the US were all taught that, but there's not much truth in
it. There was no national Thanksgiving day until 240 years after those
two that were observed by the pilgrims, though there were sporadic days
of thanks declared by various states at various times.

When Lincoln declared the first national Thanksgiving day, there's no
question that it was intended as a somewhat religious observation --
even though Lincoln himself was not religious. But I think the reaction
that Art got here to the suggestion that it is a religious holiday
indicates how little it is currently viewed in that light. It's my
favorite holiday, and I'm an atheist. (I just wish they'd move it up to
October where it belongs.)
--

Wayne M.
Old November 25th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Nov 25, 8:35*am, Wayne Mitchell wrote:
*Marina wrote:
[...]

In Canada, Thanksgiving is in October. It is on the second Monday of
October.

--

Wayne M.

Old November 25th 10, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 19:10:13 -0600, CatNipped wrote:

We used to have the "buy $25 groceries and get a 25 pound free Turkey".
The best deal we had this year was buy it for $0.95 a pound in time
enough for it to thaw by Thanksgiving - or buy it for $0.25 if we waited
until Wednesday afternoon to get it.

I bought mine last week for $0.68 per pound (at Walmart). It's pretty
well thawed now - the brining will take care of the last of it. I was
some frozen ones priced at $1.29 and $1.49 Tuesday afternoon - fresh ones
were even higher.

THe manual for my microwave says it can thaw (and cook) a turkey, but I
haven't tried that - it's too non-traditional.

--
Ted Davis )
Old November 25th 10, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

or how many are distracted at the check out and just pay and don't look at
the register tape until they are already home, Lee
m...

Storrmmee wrote:
i heard some news report that said turkey was up an average of 78 cents
lb over last year, the "BIG DEAL" in the paper here was spend 40 dollars
and get a ten lb turkey for nine dollars. Lee

TV ads for a couple of the markets here have been advertising frozen
turkeys for 29 cents a pound with a minimum purchase of $25 (which isn't
an enormous amount of money with food prices what they are, these days).
One of the two clearly states the minimum purchase required, the other
hides it in fine print that goes by so fast you can barely read it.
(Wonder how many people buying less than the required $25 simply tell the
checker "Forget it!" and leave their entire order on the counter, when
advised they don't qualify?)

Old November 25th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Wayne Mitchell wrote:

When Lincoln declared the first national Thanksgiving day, there's no
question that it was intended as a somewhat religious observation --
even though Lincoln himself was not religious. But I think the reaction
that Art got here to the suggestion that it is a religious holiday
indicates how little it is currently viewed in that light. It's my
favorite holiday, and I'm an atheist. (I just wish they'd move it up to
October where it belongs.)

Well, the only reason we celebrate Christmas on December 25th is because
it was already a Roman celebration for the birth of the soldiers' god,
Mithras! (Who was supposedly born in a cave on that date.) And of
course, nearly ALL religions celebrated the winter Solstice, so it was
easy to add another reason to the existing festivities. (I'm not sure
anyone really KNOWS when Christ was actually born, but probably NOT "in
the bleak midwinter" as the carol proclaims.)
Old November 25th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Wayne Mitchell wrote:

When Lincoln declared the first national Thanksgiving day, there's no
question that it was intended as a somewhat religious observation --
even though Lincoln himself was not religious. But I think the reaction
that Art got here to the suggestion that it is a religious holiday
indicates how little it is currently viewed in that light. It's my
favorite holiday, and I'm an atheist. (I just wish they'd move it up to
October where it belongs.)

Maybe it belongs in October in Maine, but not in California.

Joyce

--
Taxes: Money you complain about giving the government, to pay for
services whose absence you would complain about.
Old November 25th 10, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Well, the only reason we celebrate Christmas on December 25th is because
it was already a Roman celebration for the birth of the soldiers' god,
Mithras! (Who was supposedly born in a cave on that date.) And of
course, nearly ALL religions celebrated the winter Solstice, so it was
easy to add another reason to the existing festivities. (I'm not sure
anyone really KNOWS when Christ was actually born, but probably NOT "in
the bleak midwinter" as the carol proclaims.)

Not to mention that Bethlehem probably doesn't even have winter as
Europe knows it, bleak or otherwise.

Joyce

Old November 25th 10, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Storrmmee wrote:
it wasn't an official/regularly scheduled holiday until 1941 Lee

I beg to differ! It had been an official holiday ever since Lincoln
proclaimed it to be one. In 1941 it was simply changed from "the last
Thursday" to "the fourth Thursday" in November. My mom was born on
Thanksgiving Day, 1894 - November 29th, that year. (Mom never really
forgave FDR for changing it from Lincoln's "last Thursday" to the
present "fourth Thursday", since it meant her birthday could never again
fall on Thanksgiving Day!)