The stigma of owning a cat.

Old December 22nd 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default The stigma of owning a cat.

"Lesley" wrote
the all-time winner through is my mother, when I told her Isis had
died she shrugged and said "I suppose you get fond of the things"

OMG

Old December 22nd 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"Lesley" wrote in message
news:88679488-7c22-43d2-a23f-the all-time winner through is my mother, when
I told her Isis had
died she shrugged and said "I suppose you get fond of the things"

Lesley

Reminds me of my mother-in-law; when she found out one of mine had to be put
to sleep she said "Good--you have too many!" Needless to say, this did not
particularly endear her to me!

Bonnie

Old December 23rd 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

On Dec 22, 7:10*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"Lesley" wrote

the all-time winner through is my mother, when I told her Isis had
died she shrugged and said "I suppose you get fond of the things"

OMG

People who don't have cat's of their own, simply *Do not wish to
understand*, over here. It is a terrible shame, but it is the truth.

Sheelagh"o"
Old December 23rd 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Sheelagh"o"" wrote in message
On Dec 22, 7:10 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"Lesley" wrote

the all-time winner through is my mother, when I told her Isis had
died she shrugged and said "I suppose you get fond of the things"

OMG

People who don't have cat's of their own, simply *Do not wish to
understand*, over here. It is a terrible shame, but it is the truth.

Yes, and unfortunately some people who DO have cats don't see them as
members of the family. I feel sorry for those who cannot appreciate them for
what they are.

Old December 24th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"cindys" wrote in message
To me, one of the most touching sights in the world is being in the
supermarket and seeing a man buying cat food.

I think a lot of women must feel the same way because I've met more women in
pet stores than anywhere else. I just don't have the time to do anything
about it. lol

The first thing I look for in a woman is cat hair on her clothes!

Happy Holidays,

Phil

"Cats are a great warm-up to a successful marriage;

they teach you your place in the household".

--Paul Gallico

Old December 24th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"David McCracken" wrote in message

I'm wondering first if this is just my imagination...if other cat owners

out
there have felt the sting of this stigma. Perhaps people just have a hard
time linking a 6 foot, 2-inch, 235-pound male to two little kitties

instead
of, say, a Doberman.

Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences.

Thanks again and happy holidays.

I think this will make you feel better:

"Confessions of a Cat Guy.

Authors: Kollus, Brad

Source: Cats Magazine; Dec99, Vol. 55 Issue 12, p66, 1p, 1c

CONFESSIONS OF A CAT GUY Am I crazy?

I'm a very eligible, professional, straight male in his early 30s who loves
cats. What's wrong

with that? You'd think my caring, sensitive and nurturing nature would be an
instant chick

magnet. But no, it's not considered "manly," I'm told.

Just because I love my two kids (er, kitties), Scotty and Spanky, buy Cats
magazine and wear

a silver cat ring, I get tagged as "weird." So what if I'm constantly
tripping over catnip mice or

that I've taught my cats how to play tetherball? Who cares if my cats have
health insurance or

that I have a cat shrine (complete with cat candies) or that I carry
miniature portraits of my

kitties in my wallet? After all, the guy next to me is showing
off--woo-hoo!--yet another

drooling baby picture. I think it's a testament to my sympathetic side that
I have a cat license

plate, own the Franklin Mint's Egyptian Cat Goddess Bast Statute, brush my
cats' teeth and

have an extensive library of cat books. Does this all make me odd?

Don't answer.

If I went to golf shows, bought Golf Digest, spent every weekend golfing,
had hundreds of

dollars in golf accessories, a golf book library and a membership to a
country club, would I be

weird? I think so. But it would be socially acceptable and that's just not
right.

I've tried to meet the right woman. I placed a personal ad in the paper and
included that I like

cats. I made a date with a veterinarian who owned two cats. C'mon, this had
to work. But she'd

had four years of vet school and I had to correct her all the time. She
didn't even brush her

cats' teeth. I had no choice but to stop seeing her.

Then there was Shelter Girl. She worked at the local animal shelter, owned
nine cats, had her

own pet-sitting business and worked part-time at a pet store. Paradise, I
thought. We'd grow

old together, she and me and our cats. We'd volunteer at the shelter and
hold hands while

scooping cat litter--two cat-lovers in love. But alas, she broke it off. "I
don't have time for a

man," she said. Her cats took it all up.

On another date, I tried to impress a woman by telling her how I had taught
my cats to play

tetherball and that we were invited to appear on the Late Show with David
Letterman.

(Unfortunately, I had to turn that offer down since my cats were too
neurotic to perform in

public.) "It's so cute that you taught your cats to play baseball," she said
politely

EBSCOhost
http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/deliv...15&sid=820cd52...

"Baseball!" I bellowed. "Cats playing baseball? That's absurd. Ever seen a
cat hold a bat? No

honey, my cats play tetherball." She never returned my calls.

Then, I met Kate. rd finally met the right woman. I spent our time together
feeling as though I

was floating on the ceiling. I perused jewelry shop windows. Then one night
after watching

Shakespeare in Love, she ripped out my still-beating heart. She just (ouch!)
wanted to be

friends.

After months of agonizing, I bumped into her. I swore nothing she could say
would shake me.

"By the way, Brad," she said, "I'm allergic to cats." I felt salt pouring
afresh into my wounds.

Sometimes I think I should give up my loves to be "normal." Then Scotty
crawls on my chest

and Spanky on my lap and I realize it's not an option. There's nothing wrong
with a guy who

loves cats. Maybe there's something wrong with a world that devalues such a
relationship. I'm

not crazy I'm not.

OK, maybe t am. But just a little.

There's nothing wrong with a guy who loves his cats.

~~~~~~~~

By Brad Kollus

Brad Kollus lives in Columbus, Ohio. Matchmakers may send letters to Brad
care of Cats magazine."

Happy Holidays,

Phil

"I have found my love of cats most helpful

in understanding women'

--John Simon

Old December 24th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

When I lost my last cat, my employer could not understand why I was so
upset. In his favor, he did send flowers though and let me take time
off from work. But he still didn't and to this day doesn't understand
my feelings. Then another person at work started wtih "so are you
getting a new cat now?"

I live on a dirt road and in the spring and summer months, it gets
quite dusty. I have a cat with asthma. I have to call the city for
them to come spray the road, otherwise, they hardly do it. So when I
call I always tell them my "daughter's" asthma has been very bad, can
they please come spray the road. Now when I call they recognize me
and say "oh, you're the lady with the asthmatic daughter." (I know
the city wouldn't care if I said I had an asthmatic cat.)

As to men and cats, I find a man who loves cats to be much sexier and
more of a man than men who don't like cats. My husband is extremely
manly when he lets our cat Mickey nurse on his beard
Old December 24th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

On 23 Dec, 08:41, "Sheelagh\"o\"" wrote:

People who don't have cat's of their own, simply *Do not wish to
understand*, over here. It is a terrible shame, but it is the truth.

I had completely forgotten the worse one
(probably because it's a painful memory)...I used to play in a game on
a Wednesday and one week I turned up and had the following
conversation with the DM;

DM "I don't know if I should let you play- you missed the last two
weeks"

Me "The week before last I told you I had to work late"

DM "Yes that's okay but what's your excuse for last week?"

Me: "I had to take one of my cats to the vet"

DM "And what time was that?"

Me: "Six thirty"

DM "So you could have still made the game we don't start until 8.00"

Me: (voice quavering) "But I had to have her put to sleep, we were
both very upset"

DM "Okay I'll let you back in the game but under probation, I don't
know if you're really that dedicated to the game, I wouldn't have let
something as trivial as a dead cat make me miss a game"

I am forever grateful to a friend and his dear wife who simply took
one of my shoulders each turned me round and walked me away from the
guy or else I would be typing from prison. I've never seen red like it
before or since. This charming speciment went pale when he saw my face
after he said that and then to add insult to injury he went round
telling people I was "mental". That, however rebounded when he told
this other guy whose game he really wanted to be in that "She went
mental over a dead cat" and got the reply that when he had his cat put
to sleep he couldn't face the World for a week and stayed at home so
"she's really good to come out and she certainly doesn't need a moron
like you slagging her off"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old December 24th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

EBSCOhosthttp://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/delivery?vid=20&hid=15&sid=820cd52...

[...]

where can i find this man? what's his number? he is the man for
me!!!!!

unless he is really ugly or fat of course

i have to say those men who think that taking a baby out to the park
or something is going to attract women are completely wrong; any
single girl will just assume that you are already taken (hence the
kid, it is probably yours and you are only taking it out cos you have)
and give you a very wide berth. You want to walk a dog or something,
doesn't show that you are already burdened with kids and a woman, but
you are (a) a caring animal lover and (b) may be single

obviously if one could walk a cat inthe park that would be better, but
that is tricky.

anyway, al those people who claim they are allergic to cats YOU ARE
TALKING ********, no such thing as far as i am concerned, just get
over it wahtever it is, my dad's cat used to make my eyes itch and
water a lot but i got over it and so should you. it is just a sad
excuse used by horrible people who are not in touch with their feline
side and anyone who claims that they are allergic to cats should be
avoided at all costs

and phil, my clothes are covered in cat hair

bookie