Leather furniture

Old April 27th 04, 08:22 PM
David Cowie

Default Leather furniture

We're going to get a new 3-piece suite. If the price is right, we may get
leather.
If the cat uses a leather sofa as a scratching post, how much damage could
she do?

--
David Cowie david_cowie at lineone dot net

Containment Failure + 3962:45

Old April 27th 04, 10:07 PM
Mary

We're going to get a new 3-piece suite. If the price is right, we may get
leather.
If the cat uses a leather sofa as a scratching post, how much damage could
she do?

One, make sure you get thick, distressed, loose leather. Don't get tightly
upholstered thin perfect leather or their claws can go straight through it just
walking on it or jumping off. Two, put a cat tree in the living room. Rub
catnip all over it. Put double sided tape on all corners of your couch. Do not
let your cat in the room with the sofa unsupervised initially. While you watch
her, if she starts to try and scratch it, take her and place her on the cat
tree. Reward her with treats and praise when she uses the tree. I have a thick
distressed baggy leather sofa and my cat sits on it and does no damage. I had a
thin tight perfect leather sofa which was totally in 15 minutes by my old cat
just walking on it. You can also trim your cats claws every 7-10 days. I put a
cat mat on the couch so my kitty has her own place to sit.

Old April 27th 04, 10:11 PM
Jo Firey

It isn't that they don't scratch leather or that it doesn't leave marks. It
is just that leather hold up to the damage without looking ratty so much
better than say a nice tweed. Our cats have destroyed three regular sofa's
in the last 16 years. The leather set we bought for the family room 16
years ago does have "pin holes" in the arms but is still serviceable.

Jo
news

Old April 27th 04, 10:49 PM
TCS

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:22:48 +0100, David Cowie wrote:
We're going to get a new 3-piece suite. If the price is right, we may get
leather.
If the cat uses a leather sofa as a scratching post,

they don't. Cat's don't like working out on leather. They'd rather
claw the carpeting.

how much damage could
she do?

The damage is in the form of pinholes from kitty jumping to/from the couch.

Old April 27th 04, 10:55 PM
John Biltz

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:11:19 -0700, Jo Firey wrote
(in article ):

I had leather furniture before Maya arrived to boss the place around and
it was something I worried about. She doesn't like leather at all. She
will walk across it but never lay on it or scratch it. Bruiser seems to
be the same way. Some cats like leather and some don't. I got lucky.

Old April 28th 04, 01:21 AM
Margaret Fine

David Cowie wrote:
We're going to get a new 3-piece suite. If the price is right, we may get
leather.
If the cat uses a leather sofa as a scratching post, how much damage could
she do?

Oliver has scratched our leather but didn't puncture it. Eventually the
scratches darkened up and you can't tell where they are (the sofa is
navy leather). He doesn't scartch anymore. We used Feliway on the
leather and it stopped him in his tracks. If you apply it too heavily
you might get a white residue on the leather but it wipes right off.
Interestingly, we no longer have to feliway the leather but we do have
to re apply it to the only piece of fabric furiture we have left.

I LOVE my leather and I don't think I will ever go back to fabric.
--
Margaret Fine