stupid + raspberries

Old July 23rd 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

Default stupid + raspberries

Good news: Went on a hike with DH. Had a lovely conversation with a
presumably retired couple at the top of the climb. A fair portion of
the trail had raspberry bushes. Raspberries in the wild are smaller
than the supermarket variety, but extremely yummy and much more fun
than pulling them out of a plastic tray.

Bad news: Didn't wear sunscreen. Wore tank top. I've done this
before, but I guess not at that time of day, with delay to chat and
stuff raspberries in mouth. I'm rather pink now. And not from fruit
juice.

Some of you may remember last year's sunburn stupidity. This isn't
anywhere near that level of stupid, nor that painful, but it's enough
to make me wonder why I don't just slather it on every time I go out.
I mean really.

I told my parents, "Live and learn. I'm doing the living. I hope to
start learning, eventually."

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 23rd 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
[...]

I know aloe vera is good for burns. Maybe its good for sunburn too. If
you have an aloe
plant at home, you can try cutting open one leaf to get the juice to
put on your skin. I am
sure there are lotions for sunburn. I put sunscreen on every day of the
year, at least on
my face. Still get these freckles or age spots on my face.

Winnie

Old July 23rd 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-07-23, Winnie penned:

I know aloe vera is good for burns. Maybe its good for sunburn too.
If you have an aloe plant at home, you can try cutting open one leaf
to get the juice to put on your skin. I am sure there are lotions
for sunburn. I put sunscreen on every day of the year, at least on
my face. Still get these freckles or age spots on my face.

Yup, I have a tube of 95% aloe vera with some other herbal stuff
thrown in, just for sunburn.

As it turns out, because I'm always wearing some sort of head covering
when I go out for any amount of time (helmet when biking; a hat with a
visor while hiking), my face never gets burned or even tanned. It's a
good thing, too, because even sun screen specifically formulated for
the face tends to make my face burn, especially once I start sweating.
I did find one brand that seems to be better, but as I said, for what
I do, it's not really an issue.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 23rd 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

On 2006-07-23, Winnie penned:

[...]

The only sunscreen I can stand on my face is the one by Clinique. As you
said all the others burn. Especially once you sweat them into your eyes.

With your track record, I'd be really careful to have sunscreen with me the
rest of the year. Maybe have a fanny pack you always grab that has a few
"essentials" For me that would be sunscreen, some dried fruit like apples,
and probably some peanut butter cheese crackers. And bandaids for blisters.

Jo

Old July 23rd 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-07-23, Jo Firey penned:

The only sunscreen I can stand on my face is the one by Clinique.
As you said all the others burn. Especially once you sweat them
into your eyes.

Maybe I'll give that one a try. Is it tint-free, just sunscreen?

With your track record, I'd be really careful to have sunscreen with
me the rest of the year. Maybe have a fanny pack you always grab
that has a few "essentials" For me that would be sunscreen, some
dried fruit like apples, and probably some peanut butter cheese
crackers. And bandaids for blisters.

Well, that would be smart. The amazing part is that, every time I get
sunburned, it's after thinking about applying sunscreen and then
deciding ... not to. I don't know, maybe it's a perceived convenience
factor or something. So that's what I need to work on -- if I think
about applying sunscreen, I should just do so without second-guessing
it.

For shorter hikes, I just bring a camelbak. For longer hikes, snack
foods, purell hand wipes, sunscreen, and a lightweight rain jacket.
I've been fortunate so far with blisters -- the only hiking blister
I've gotten wearing proper shoes was last year on my 7.5 hour hike,
and even then the blister didn't hurt the day I was hiking. Isn't
moleskin the traditional blister fixer, not bandaids, though?

Something else I own and should bring, but don't: trekking poles.
They would take a lot of pressure off my knees on the descent.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 23rd 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

On 2006-07-23, Jo Firey penned:

[...]

We never think about coming back down the hill while we are on the way up do
we?

Yes the sunscreen is untinted.

Jo

Old July 23rd 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
On 2006-07-23, Winnie penned:

[...]

Just curious, which brand is that?
I wear a wide brim hat almost all the time. I stayed out of the sun and
I am not into outdoor sports. But I still get freckles/age spots on my
face. Once my aunt asked me whether I got punched in the face. Imagine
it will be like if I don't wear a sunblock.

Winnie

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 23rd 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-07-23, Winnie penned:

Just curious, which brand is that? I wear a wide brim hat almost
all the time. I stayed out of the sun and I am not into outdoor
sports. But I still get freckles/age spots on my face. Once my aunt
asked me whether I got punched in the face. Imagine it will be like
if I don't wear a sunblock.

Kiss My Face face factor:

http://www.kissmyface.com/Product/Ki...are/1800200EA/

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 24th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

This is one of the nicest post titles I have ever seen ;-)
ROFL.

Tweed

Old July 24th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-07-24, Christina Websell penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

This is one of the nicest post titles I have ever seen ;-) ROFL.

"Nice" must have a different meaning over there =P

The raspberries *were* tasty, though. Only later did I make an
important connection -- the gentleman kept mentioning how bears like
raspberries. I realized after the fact that of course this was
important because, when hiking along a trail with ripe raspberries,
chances of, er, wildlife encounters are greatly increased.

We didn't see any, though I'm sure some wildlife was watching us
surreptitiously.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully