Hurricane

Old September 16th 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tina[_2_]

Default Hurricane

On 16/09/2018 06:16, joy wrote:
On 9/15/2018 6:46 PM, Bill Nak wrote:

"Tina"Â* wrote in message ...

On 15/09/2018 17:21, jmcquown wrote:
On 9/15/2018 11:58 AM, Tina wrote:

I'm fairly sure he will have made certain he and his family are safe
but it's still a bit worrying. I can't find out from my uncle (his
father) or his brother as there's a bit of a family feud going on.
Ridiculous, should have been sorted out 10 years ago, IMO.

Okay.

Purrs for everyone in danger. I heard that people were being told to
write their names on their arms so their bodies could be identified,
OMG.

Wow. That's totally incorrect.Â* I have been watching the news on many
channels and the National Hurricane Center online.Â* Keeping an eye on
the storm.Â* Nowhere, at no time, was anyone told to write their names
on their arms in case they were found dead.Â* Where did you come up
with that piece of misinformation?!

Jill

Well, perhaps the BBC is wrong, but I saw it on there.Â* I saw an
American, sherriff sort of person say "put your names on your arms" on
BBC news.

Cannot speak to what you saw on BBC, but I saw a Facebook post the
other day illustrating how to
put your name and address on your pets leg in case they become separated.

--
bill n

It seems to me quite possible that some official told people to put
their names on their arms because those were people who had refused to
evacuate, and he was trying to scare them into doing so.

Maybe so, Joy. If 5 feet of rain was coming, I wouldn't need persuading
to evacuate with my cats.

Old September 16th 18, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

On 9/16/2018 9:00 AM, Tina wrote:
On 16/09/2018 00:16, jmcquown wrote:
On 9/15/2018 3:15 PM, Tina wrote:
[...]

Well, I sure didn't hear anything like that but I haven't seen every
channel (BBC not being one I get).Â* I hope your family is safe.

Jill

Thanks, Jill, I hope so too.Â* The BBC had a reporter in Wilmington and
he also said that the residents have been told to write their names on
their arms. That made it even more horrifying to me. Like they were
expecting multiple deaths. It seems to be the rain that they're worried
about, more so than the wind and storm surge, because the hurricane is
so slow-moving they said there could be up to 60 inches.Â* 5 feet of
rain!Â* That would be impossible to deal with - it would be like a
tsunami.Â* Purrs for everyone in its path.Â* I saw the news yesterday, I
think they said 23 dead up to now :'(
Mother Nature can be very cruel.

Actually, the number I heard this morning was 14, but even one is too many.
Old September 16th 18, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

"Tina"Â* wrote in message ...

[...]

I know what you mean, but a couple of days I heard that there were
people who thought they could ride it out, so they were ignoring the
evacuation orders.
Old September 16th 18, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

On 9/16/2018 10:42 AM, Tina wrote:
On 16/09/2018 02:46, Bill Nak wrote:

"Tina"Â* wrote in message ...

[...]

It's better to have them microchipped, Bill.

True, but if they haven't already been microchipped, it might be
difficult to get it done now.
Old September 16th 18, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Nak

"Tina" wrote in message ...

On 15/09/2018 17:21, jmcquown wrote:
On 9/15/2018 11:58 AM, Tina wrote:

I'm fairly sure he will have made certain he and his family are safe but
it's still a bit worrying. I can't find out from my uncle (his father)
or his brother as there's a bit of a family feud going on. Ridiculous,
should have been sorted out 10 years ago, IMO.

Okay.

Purrs for everyone in danger. I heard that people were being told to
write their names on their arms so their bodies could be identified,
OMG.

Wow. That's totally incorrect. I have been watching the news on many
channels and the National Hurricane Center online. Keeping an eye on the
storm. Nowhere, at no time, was anyone told to write their names on
their arms in case they were found dead. Where did you come up with that
piece of misinformation?!

Jill

Well, perhaps the BBC is wrong, but I saw it on there. I saw an
American, sherriff sort of person say "put your names on your arms" on
BBC news.

Cannot speak to what you saw on BBC, but I saw a Facebook post the other
day illustrating how to
put your name and address on your pets leg in case they become separated.

--
bill n

It's better to have them microchipped, Bill.

Very true, Tina. All of mine are. My thought is in such a severe situation
it's just another layer of security!

Hope your weekend was well!
--
bill n

Old September 17th 18, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

"Tina"Â* wrote in message ...

[...]

Very true, Tina.Â* All of mine are.Â* My thought is in such a severe
situation it's just another layer of security!

That's a good point. If the power is out, the chips probably couldn't
be read.

Old September 17th 18, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

On 9/13/2018 8:28 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
On 9/12/2018 8:35 AM, Mishi wrote:
On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 6:51:56 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
On 9/11/2018 2:16 PM, Tina wrote:
Jill, stay safe, it seems to be heading your way. Lota of good
wishes that it veers away from you

Thanks! There was an evacuation order for my County (Beaufort) but
the Governor cancelled it. The path of the storm is tracking far to
the north of where Buffy and I are located.

Let's have some purrs for the folks along the North Carolina and
Virginia coasts. That's where the brunt of Hurricane Florence is
headed.

Jill

The hurricane has veered south, now looks like it is headed for
Georgia. Stay safe, everyone!

Hurricanes always seem to turn a bit. All the current models have the
eye of the storm making landfall much farther to the north of us. (I'm
at the very southern tip of South Carolina.) We'll get rain and wind,
sure, because it's a very big storm system, but not the brunt of the
storm.

What I find interesting is the hurricane (which hasn't even hit yet) is
making the news in England!

Jill

Purrs for you (and everyone else) to stay safe, even though it might not
hit you too bad.

Judith

I've heard them talk about five *feet* of rain! It's hard for this
Southern Californian to grasp. Here, five *inches* would virtually
bring the area to a standstill.

Continued purrs and purrayers for all effected, including those who have
loved ones in the affected area.

Joy
Old September 17th 18, 11:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tina[_2_]

"Tina"Â* wrote in message ...

[...]

That's a good point.Â* If the power is out, the chips probably couldn't
be read.

Hadn't thought of that, yes address on pet's leg is a good idea. I hope
it's not necessary., because if it is, your pet will be drowned :'(

Old September 17th 18, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
joy

"Tina"Â* wrote in message ...

[...]

Not necessarily. Usually after a disaster there are some pets that are
rounded up and taken to shelters or veterinary offices.
Old September 18th 18, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/16/2018 8:50 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 13:46:17 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 9/16/2018 12:07 PM, Tina wrote:
On 16/09/2018 14:41, jmcquown wrote:
On 9/15/2018 3:02 PM, Tina wrote:
[...]

Â*From the BBC,Â* they are rarely wrong. They had a reporter in
Wilmington and that's what he said was advised, I saw it myself live
on TV.

My apologies to you.Â* I Googled it and you are correct.Â* It just
sounded so odd.Â* Mea culpa!

Jill

Apology accepted. It did sound odd but it just proves the very severe
conditions that are going on in NC. That they thought that was necessary
is just awful.

Very severe. Even though the storm isn't in my area I've been watching
the reports. Purrs for you cousin and his family. If you haven't heard
from him I hope you will, very soon.

Jill

Jill I'm glad you didn't end up in the path of the storm but I cannot
believe you didn't at least get some very nasty weather from it..

It *sprinkled* one afternoon. The hurricane hit waaaay to the north of
us. The weather maps sure made it look like the storm was right here
but there wasn't even any fallout from it.

Jill

hurricane ann Cat community 2 October 13th 18 01:15 AM
There was no hurricane in the UK John Ross Mc Master Cat anecdotes 10 October 30th 13 06:26 AM
hurricane conniepo Cat community 13 August 29th 11 11:58 AM
Hurricane Jean Hobbs Cat anecdotes 33 August 19th 04 04:55 PM
Hurricane? Karen Cat anecdotes 6 August 18th 04 02:25 AM