A truly dedicated cat slave

Old January 28th 14, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default A truly dedicated cat slave

My sister and brother-in-law live in Valdez, Alaska. I saw on the news last
night that there had been avalanches completely blocking the only highway
out of town, so that it was completely cut off. I called today to see how
they were doing. They are fine, but they've had so much warm weather and
rain that avalanches are common. There are actually bare brown areas on the
surrounding hills, which is unheard of at this time of year.

Back to the blocked highway, and to make this on topic. There is a very
good veterinarian in Valdez. My brother-in-law was his assistant until he
(BIL) retired. A woman had a very sick cat and wanted to take him to that
vet. I don't know exactly where she lives, but it's on the other side of
the avalanche. She came to the place where the road was blocked, parked her
car, and got out with the cat carrier. She climbed over the avalanche and
was going to walk the remaining 20 miles into Valdez.

They were using dynamite to try to clear the highway, and what she did was
both dangerous and illegal. She didn't care; she was determined to get her
cat to the vet. She was picked up by the police, who put her in the Valdez
jail, where she is now. However, when the police learned the reason for
what she did, they took her cat to the vet, and that's where he is now.

--
Joy

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
– Groucho Marx

Old January 28th 14, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

[...]

Poor kitty - I hope he'll be OK. Hooray for the police for taking him to
the vet!

--
Joyce

"Yes, but humans are more important than animals," said Brutha.
"This is a point of view often expressed by humans," said Om. (Small Gods)

Old January 28th 14, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Joy
wrote:
[...]

That was very brave of her. I'm sure that the police released her too,
probably with a warning but they did get her cat to the vet.

Judith

--
Judith Latham

Even if she has to pay a fine, I'm sure she feels it was well worth it to
get her cat treated.

Joy

Old January 29th 14, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

That was very brave of her. I'm sure that the police released her too,
probably with a warning but they did get her cat to the vet.

Even if she has to pay a fine, I'm sure she feels it was well worth it to
get her cat treated.

Jail seems a bit excessive, though. Maybe a citation would have been more
appropriate.

Another good thing about the cops taking the cat to the vet is that I'm
sure he got there much sooner than if she'd had to walk 20 miles!

--
Joyce

Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old January 29th 14, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/28/2014 2:45 PM, Joy wrote:
[...]

Wow! That's dedication and determination. Didn't they wonder when they
arrested her why she was walking through that area with a cat in a
carrier? Could just have easily been that her car broke down and she
couldn't leave the cat in the freezing car.

Jill
Old January 29th 14, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

That was very brave of her. I'm sure that the police released her too,
probably with a warning but they did get her cat to the vet.

Even if she has to pay a fine, I'm sure she feels it was well worth it
get her cat treated.

Jail seems a bit excessive, though. Maybe a citation would have been more
appropriate.

Another good thing about the cops taking the cat to the vet is that I'm
sure he got there much sooner than if she'd had to walk 20 miles!

--
Joyce

Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker

Yes, I'm sure of that, too. It might have made the difference as to whether
the cat survived. I'll be sure to post an update when I know anything more.

Joy

Old January 29th 14, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 1/28/2014 2:45 PM, Joy wrote:
[...]

Well, her car was on the other side of the avalanche. It would have been
easier to walk in the opposite direction if that had been the case.
However, I suspect she told them about the cat immediately.

Joy

Old February 4th 14, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default A truly dedicated cat slave - UPDATE

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

That was very brave of her. I'm sure that the police released her too,
probably with a warning but they did get her cat to the vet.

Even if she has to pay a fine, I'm sure she feels it was well worth it
get her cat treated.

Jail seems a bit excessive, though. Maybe a citation would have been more
appropriate.

Another good thing about the cops taking the cat to the vet is that I'm
sure he got there much sooner than if she'd had to walk 20 miles!

--
Joyce

Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker

I called my sister and brother-in-law today to find out how the story came
out. The woman did spend the night in jail, but then she was released. The
judge said she did break the law, but there were extenuating circumstances.
In the meantime, the cat was treated for a very serious condition. I can't
remember what it was, but the vet said that it probably would have died if
it hadn't gotten immediate treatment. It's doing well now.

To top it off, there was a lot of publicity for the story. There was not
only a story in the Valdez paper, but also in the Anchorage newspapers.
Apparently the woman lives in Anchorage, but she didn't have the money the
vet there wanted to treat her cat. However, the vet in Valdez has a fund
for treating animals whose owners can't afford the needed treatment. They
told her they'd treat the cat if she could get it there. She did, and they
did.

Not only is the woman free and the cat doing well, but the publicity
generated donations of thousands of dollars to the fund for treating animals
belonging to people with limited income.

I love happy endings!

Old February 4th 14, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

Me too.

If it meant I could save my cat, I'd pend a night in prison.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

I agree.

Joy

Old February 4th 14, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

They were using dynamite to try to clear the highway, and what she did was
both dangerous and illegal. She didn't care; she was determined to get her
cat to the vet. She was picked up by the police, who put her in the Valdez
jail, where she is now.

The Land of the Free is probably the only place in the world where
you can get arrested and jailed for walking along a public road.

(Having been stopped and questioned by an armed cop in Pennsylvania
for simply walking along a country road like I was used to doing in
New Zealand, I am not one bit surprised).