Genetics Leave Felines Without Sweet Tooth

Old July 25th 05, 05:43 PM

Default Genetics Leave Felines Without Sweet Tooth

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&e=2&u=/ap/feline_sweet_gene

http://tinyurl.com/ag6q8

-mhd
Old July 25th 05, 07:02 PM
Justin L

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:43:22 -0400,
wrote:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&e=2&u=/ap/feline_sweet_gene

http://tinyurl.com/ag6q8

-mhd

If this is true, why does my cat go nuts over Twinkies?

He also likes French Vanilla flavored yogurt.

Old July 25th 05, 07:05 PM
mlbriggs

wrote:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&e=2&u=/ap/feline_sweet_gene

http://tinyurl.com/ag6q8

-mhd

If this is true, why does my cat go nuts over Twinkies?

He also likes French Vanilla flavored yogurt.

If I give TuTu a small piece of waffle she will lick off all the Log
Cabin syrup. MLB

Old July 25th 05, 07:44 PM
Karen

wrote:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...p/feline_sweet

_gene

http://tinyurl.com/ag6q8

-mhd

If this is true, why does my cat go nuts over Twinkies?

He also likes French Vanilla flavored yogurt.

They say they may be able to smell sweet but not taste it.

Old July 25th 05, 08:26 PM

wrote:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&e=2&u=/ap/feline_sweet_gene

http://tinyurl.com/ag6q8

-mhd

If this is true, why does my cat go nuts over Twinkies?

He also likes French Vanilla flavored yogurt.

How does that contradict the article?

-mhd
Old July 25th 05, 09:36 PM
Kitkat

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&e=2&u=/ap/feline_sweet_gene

http://tinyurl.com/ag6q8

-mhd

"Because cats can't taste sweets, they're cranky," joked Joseph Brand

Heh. I'd be cranky, too. Except, I'd probably also be skinny!

damnsweets!
pam

Old July 26th 05, 12:01 AM
Justin L

wrote:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&e=2&u=/ap/feline_sweet_gene

http://tinyurl.com/ag6q8

-mhd

If this is true, why does my cat go nuts over Twinkies?

He also likes French Vanilla flavored yogurt.

How does that contradict the article?

-mhd

Wasn't trying to contradict, was asking a question.

Unless I am reading the article wrong, my cat shouldn't be able to
taste the sweetness of the Twinkie or yogurt, correct?

Maybe there is some other reason why he likes them, such as the smell,
as Karen pointed out.

Maybe I should suggest a Twinkie flavored (or smelling?) cat food to
Mars Inc?
I wonder how it would go over...
Old July 26th 05, 01:08 AM
Rhonda

I heard the story on NPR this morning, it was interesting.

They ended the segment talking about people who swear their cats like
sweet things like ice cream or cake. They said it would be very, very
rare for a cat to know it was sweet -- but they like some sweet things
because of the fat.

Rhonda

Old July 26th 05, 01:32 AM
PawsForThought

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&e=2&u=/ap/feline_sweet_gene

http://tinyurl.com/ag6q8

-mhd

I was reading about this in the newspaper today. I don't believe cats
can't taste sweets. One of mine goes bunkers for anything sweet,
especially Cool Whip. If I recall, the study was only on 6 cats and
was done by Mars, who makes catfood.

Lauren

Old July 26th 05, 02:04 AM

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&e=2&u=/ap/feline_sweet_gene

http://tinyurl.com/ag6q8

I read years ago that cats supposedly don't like sweets. Granted,
that's not quite what this article stated. Otoh, one of my cats did
like sweet foods, & despite a couple of the quotes in this article
stating the opposite, she was *not* a finicky eater - by any stretch of
the imagination.

Cathy

-mhd