Scheduled Feedings--Unexpected Benefits

Old February 8th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Scheduled Feedings--Unexpected Benefits

I've posted about my tuxedo cat Boo's dramatic weight loss and improved mood
and health since I put her on an all-canned diet in scheduled feedings every
12 hours, reducing the amount I fed her by 1/4 until she achieved her
desired weight.

An unexpected benefit is that I can pill her more easily now. She takes
thyroid and heart medication, half a pill each twice a day. I tried
everything and it was just a terrible battle that wound up with her fighting
and foaming at the mouth, learning to eat the treat around the pill, and
getting really cagey and looking like she swallowed but I would find the
pills all over. I began giving her the pills after she has had just a
mouthful or two of her canned food. She is such a chow hound she cannot be
bothered to fight it--she just swallows them right away so she can get to
the next bite of food!

It helps that I have gotten better about tossing them way back to the very
center of her throat.

Old February 8th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:

It helps that I have gotten better about tossing them way back to the very
center of her throat.

That's very good news about the weight loss Cybercat

I know what you mean about fighting and foaming at the mouth (for the one
time I had to give a pill to my cat) it was a huge ordeal.

You'd think with all the advances man has made, we would find a better way
to give medicine to kids.

maybe they should make fish flavored pills.

Old February 8th 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:
[...]

How about grinding up the pill and mixing it with the food?

--
John Kimmel

Sometimes Pascal seemed to have had a bandage over his eyes.
Old February 8th 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"guynoir" wrote in message

How about grinding up the pill and mixing it with the food?

--
John Kimmel

That's what I did with one of my previous cats. Much depends on how much
"flavor" and "scent" the pill has.

MaryL

Old February 8th 06, 08:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"guynoir" wrote in message

How about grinding up the pill and mixing it with the food?

That's what I did with one of my previous cats. Much depends on how much
"flavor" and "scent" the pill has.

Yes, it does. I did try this, but she would taste the pills and not eat all
of the food. It was impossible to know that she was getting her full doses
of medicines. Tapazole, one of her medicines, is reportedly terribly
bitter. (It was actually a lot more trouble grinding the pills than just
pilling her normally as I do now, too. I am just amazed that she has
stopped fighting. It is wonderful.)

Old February 8th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Switch" wrote
That's very good news about the weight loss Cybercat

Yeah, she is so happy! She zips all around and goes down the stairs in a
fluid motion instead of "thump THUMP, thump THUMP, thump THUMP!"

And she can reach her hiney to wash, which is very nice
for us.

I bet Lyn would love to be able to do that.

Old February 8th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:
"Switch" wrote
That's very good news about the weight loss Cybercat

Yeah, she is so happy! She zips all around and goes down the stairs in a
fluid motion instead of "thump THUMP, thump THUMP, thump THUMP!"

And she can reach her hiney to wash, which is very nice
for us.

I bet Lyn would love to be able to do that.

LOL...I *so* own you!

-L.

Old February 8th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...

cybercat wrote:
"Switch" wrote
That's very good news about the weight loss Cybercat

Yeah, she is so happy! She zips all around and goes down the stairs in a
fluid motion instead of "thump THUMP, thump THUMP, thump THUMP!"

And she can reach her hiney to wash, which is very nice
for us.

I bet Lyn would love to be able to do that.

LOL...I *so* own you!

-L.

But you would love to be able to do that, now wouldn't you hoss? G

Old February 9th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Okay, next time Abernathy gets sick and needs pills -- he's coming to
your house!

You can come with him, Rhonda. Seriously, I'd love to have coffee.
If you're ever in the neighborhood, let me know. (If you don't know
where I live you might be the last one who doesn't, lol!)