Advice on commercial foods from a nationally prominent professional

Old May 16th 06, 06:17 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Advice on commercial foods from a nationally prominent professional

We didn't ask for and don't have permission to name the source, so I
won't, but a family member received this advice on commercial cat food
from a nationally prominent professional:

"Ironically, the most expensive foods are not usually better than lower
priced foods.

"I like Fancy Feast, Whiskas, Pro Plan kitten (never adult formulas),
even Nine-Lives and Friskies are OK.

"Avoid Wellness and any other brands with veggies and fruits in the
formula (cats need these like a fish needs a bicycle).

"I also recommend that owners add raw meat to their cat's diet. Ground
turkey from the grocery store is a good, easy to get source, and ground
or chopped beef is a good supplement too as long as your cat doesn't
have a beef intolerance.

"Avoid feeding too much seafood. Cats do not naturally eat fish (they
evolved in desert areas) and fish is the most allergenic of proteins
for cats.

"I hope this helps..."

So do I. Just wanted to share with all of you.
Old May 16th 06, 06:32 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Kiran" wrote in message
We didn't ask for and don't have permission to name the source, so I
won't, but a family member received this advice on commercial cat food
from a nationally prominent professional:

"Ironically, the most expensive foods are not usually better than lower
priced foods.

"I like Fancy Feast, Whiskas, Pro Plan kitten (never adult formulas),
even Nine-Lives and Friskies are OK.

Fancy Feast (particularly the varieties with Beef, chicken, turkey, or liver
as FIRST ingredients, is really fine food. I have seen my cats' health and
general appearance and energy levels improve on it. And--they love it.

Old May 17th 06, 12:24 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

should avoid wheat gluten too. It is a binder and a lot of cats don't
process it well, Your OTC cat foods like to give the humans a variety of
textures.. in order to make the chunks in gravy, they need to bind the meat
together.

Old May 17th 06, 12:32 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"~*Connie*~" wrote in message
should avoid wheat gluten too. It is a binder and a lot of cats don't
process it well, Your OTC cat foods like to give the humans a variety of
textures.. in order to make the chunks in gravy, they need to bind the

meat
together.

Yes, and it should be pointed out that some Fancy Feast flavors
have this while some do not, just as some flavors have actual meat
as the first ingredient, and some have by products.

Old May 17th 06, 12:34 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Kiran wrote:
"Avoid Wellness and any other brands with veggies and fruits in the
formula (cats need these like a fish needs a bicycle).

And they need the rice and corn that make up a good chunk of the brands
he uses?
Right.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old May 17th 06, 04:36 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

~*Connie*~ wrote:

: should avoid wheat gluten too. It is a binder and a lot of cats don't
: process it well, Your OTC cat foods like to give the humans a variety
: of textures.. in order to make the chunks in gravy, they need to bind
: the meat together.

Something interesting from http://felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm :

Fany Feast flavors with NO wheat gluten and below 10% carbs

Tender Beef Feast (brown label color)
Tender Beef & Liver Feast (magenta)
Tender Beef & Chicken Feast (red)
Gourmet Chicken Feast (dark pink...be careful, this looks just like
another chicken variety with gluten!)
Turkey & Giblets Feast (olive green)
Tender Liver & Chicken Feast (orange)
Chopped Grill Feast (kelly green)
Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast (true blue)
Savory Salmon Feast (orange)
Flaked Ocean Fish Feast (pink)
Tuna and Oceanfish Feast in Aspic (teal label)]

=
Old May 17th 06, 11:36 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Kiran wrote:

We didn't ask for and don't have permission to name the source, so I
won't, but a family member received this advice on commercial cat food
from a nationally prominent professional:

Maybe this "professional" needs to do a bit more research g

"I also recommend that owners add raw meat to their cat's diet. Ground
turkey from the grocery store is a good, easy to get source, and ground
or chopped beef is a good supplement too as long as your cat doesn't
have a beef intolerance.

This is very bad advice if he's talking about adding it to their
regular food. Adding ground meat to the cat's commercial food can
definitely lead to serious imbalances, especially with the
calcium/phosphorous ratio. I always recommend either feeding a
balanced homemade raw diet (and this does not mean just meat alone), or
feeding commercial cat food. It is possible to substitute a few meals
with one or the other, but adding meat to a commercial food is not a
good idea.