PING LAUREN [PawsForThought] URINE TESTS ---> Mooch

Old May 3rd 04, 06:18 AM
billn

Default PING LAUREN [PawsForThought] URINE TESTS ---> Mooch

Hi Lauren,

You asked for a follow up on our conversation in this thread and I promised
to do so. Posted it last Thursday, but in case it was so far up that it got
missed I'll repost it here in a new topic intead. :-)

--
============================
^..^ |== bill n ==| ^..^

============================

Old May 3rd 04, 01:32 PM
PawsForThought

From: "billn"

You asked for a follow up on our conversation in this thread and I promised
to do so. Posted it last Thursday, but in case it was so far up that it got
missed I'll repost it here in a new topic intead. :-)

Hi Bill,
I'm glad you posted it here because I did miss your post.

[He had symptoms of a UTI 3 times in a few month period. The last time the
symptoms reappeared even before the last bottle of clavamox was used up.
She then put him on Cefo-drops after a shot of dexamethasone. Anyway, it's
3 weeks since the last episode]

So, I don't have to worry about that and I just hope the symptoms don't come
back.

That's good news! I hope his symptoms don't come back either. Do you have him
on a canned diet?

[...]

I think vets should have little pamphlets or whatever that they can give to
clients to explain certain procedures. I think it would be so helpful.

But like I say, for now it can be avoided as long as he stays symptom free.

So, that's it for now, thanks for reading...

Thanks for letting me know, Bill.

Lauren
________
Old May 3rd 04, 01:32 PM
PawsForThought

Old May 4th 04, 04:45 AM
billn

"PawsForThought" ---------------
From: "billn" ----------

[...]

So far, so good on the symptoms. Last time they reappeared after 3 weeks.
This last weekend marked the 3 week point and he's doing okay.

Mostly they eat dry food. They were [vet said to feed both of them the
same] to eat the Purina UR food, and initially liked it, but have since
decided they hate it. So now they get ProPlan Weight Management with some
UR on the side if they get too hungry. They both could stand to lose a few
pounds.

[...]

I think it would be too.

But like I say, for now it can be avoided as long as he stays symptom

free.

So, that's it for now, thanks for reading...

Thanks for letting me know, Bill.

My pleasure ;-)

--
============================
^..^ |== bill n ==| ^..^

============================

Old May 4th 04, 04:45 AM
billn

"PawsForThought" ---------------

Old May 4th 04, 04:38 PM
PawsForThought

From: "billn"
"PawsForThought" ---------------

Do you
have him
on a canned diet?

So far, so good on the symptoms. Last time they reappeared after 3 weeks.
This last weekend marked the 3 week point and he's doing okay.

Mostly they eat dry food. They were [vet said to feed both of them the
same] to eat the Purina UR food, and initially liked it, but have since
decided they hate it. So now they get ProPlan Weight Management with some
UR on the side if they get too hungry. They both could stand to lose a few
pounds.

If they'll eat it, I would highly recommend a mostly canned diet, especially
for the boy with the UTI problem. Here is a very good article. Also, at the
end of the article is a link to Dr. Zoran's excellent article as well:

http://www.catsincanada.com/articles/feeding.html

Keeping good thoughts for continued good health for your boy

Lauren
________
Old May 4th 04, 04:38 PM
PawsForThought

Old May 4th 04, 06:38 PM
billn

From: "billn"
"PawsForThought" ---------------

[...]

Thanks for the link, have skimmed it over now, will go over it closer a bit
later. The thing that jumped out for me right away was about water
consumption which is one thing I hadn't mentioned in any of our
conversations.

They always had fresh water available with their food and would always drink
some when eating. I think Mooch though would drink more than his sister.
[Funny he's got the problem now]

Anyway, the vet re-iterated how important water was. Now, around here the
drink of choice for people is water/ice water in a glass while we watch TV,
or do computing, and the cats always have to have a taste of what's in the
glass. We though, what's if they had their own glass? Plus, for Mooch,
even though we thought he was getting enough water [and the vet agreed] we
thought it better if he had even more.

So we took one of these 'big gulp' cups like you get from McD's or Burger
king and put it in the middle of the coffee table, so we could see all the
time if/when they used it. Filled it to the brim. Instant success. Mooch
came over, investigated, drank his fill. His sister just kind of watched
for a day or two, then she got into the act.

Now they love having their very own cup to use, it's fun to watch them
drink, I've taken plenty of pictures of pink tongues lapping water, and we
know they're getting plenty to drink.

If the level gets to low or you take it away, they go back to just drinking
when they eat. So this 'new toy' keeps them healthy and is fun for all.
And they've never spilled it.

Enjoy your day and thanks for the links.

--

Old May 4th 04, 06:38 PM
billn