Gooey eyes -- what to do?

Old April 8th 17, 08:01 PM
My2Kitties My2Kitties is offline
Junior Member

Question Gooey eyes -- what to do?

Greetings, everyone. It's been quite a while since I've been to the forum. My cat's name is Boston Blackie, named after a detective in a 1940s radio show. Like the detective called "Blackie," that's what I call my cat, too. Anyway, he's been totally healthy. Has all his shots. He is five years old, and I have been his human for a little over a year. Prior to that, he had only one home, a very good one. Today his eyes are gooey. I gently wiped them off. What do you think is causing this? Any idea what to do? Will it go away? Should I take him to the vet?
Old April 9th 17, 08:06 PM
My2Kitties My2Kitties is offline
Junior Member

Hi -- me again about this issue -- I called the vet. He asked me a bunch of questions -- is it green? Is it yellow? Is it white? Does the third eyelid come up from below? I said it's white and No the third eyelid does not come up. He said it's mucus. The vet said it could be an allergy to dust. Makes sense, since Blackie goes behind the couch pretty often, and I think most of us have dust there, right???!!! So the vet said to put some artificial tears -- like you can get any supermarket -- on a kleenex, and gently dab the lids if there is gooey. Today already the goo is not there, and I have not even treated him. I think it comes briefly only occasionally. Whew! (Some articles on the internet said eye goo could be a serious problem! Glad the question the vet asked made sure it was none of that.)
Old April 10th 17, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia[_2_]

Default Gooey eyes -- what to do?

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 20:06:16 +0100, My2Kitties
wrote:

Hi -- me again about this issue -- I called the vet. He asked me a bunch
of questions -- is it green? Is it yellow? Is it white? Does the third
eyelid come up from below? I said it's white and No the third eyelid
does not come up. He said it's mucus. The vet said it could be an
allergy to dust. Makes sense, since Blackie goes behind the couch
pretty often, and I think most of us have dust there, right???!!! So
the vet said to put some artificial tears -- like you can get any
supermarket -- on a kleenex, and gently dab the lids if there is gooey.
Today already the goo is not there, and I have not even treated him. I
think it comes briefly only occasionally. Whew! (Some articles on the
internet said eye goo could be a serious problem! Glad the question the
vet asked made sure it was none of that.)

Glad to hear that it doesn't appear to be something serious.

When our beloved pets are ailing, the world stops.

Cat's eyes gooey --what to do? My2Kitties Cat health & behaviour 0 April 8th 17 07:59 PM
Cat Eyes [email protected] Cats - misc 0 January 24th 08 10:59 PM
Two eyes David Stevenson Cat anecdotes 15 October 12th 05 12:31 AM