Cat Sitting (again)

Old October 19th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Cat Sitting (again)

Christina Websell wrote:

If I asked someone to look after my cats who were used to going out
and they shut them in the whole time I would not be best pleased and
neither would the cats.

I understand your point, and I agree that it's cruel to force a cat who
needs to go in and out to stay indoors all the time. But when I go away
and I have friends in to feed my cats, I do keep Smudge in for the
duration. The reason is, once she goes out, she would most likely not
come in when the catsitter called for her. So then Smudge would be
outdoors for days, which I don't think is good for her. Plus, I think
it's a lot to ask a friend to make sure my indoor/outdoor cat comes
back in before the friend leaves. It's probably not going to happen.

I *would* ask that of a professional who I was paying, but my cats are
generally low-maintenance, so I don't feel the need to hire someone.
I would never keep Smudge in permanently, but I think it's safer, if
temporarily unpleasant, for her to be inside while I'm gone.

Maybe I could try letting her out for a short trip, say 3 days, to see
what would happen. If I had a friend come twice, maybe Smudge would
come back for food one of those times. If that could be established,
then I would be more willing to try it for a longer trip. I would not
want her to be outside, with no feedings, for a long period. She
sometimes catches mice (which I *have* seen her eat), but I don't know
how often.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old October 19th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sandy

I believe that "buggery" means "sodomy". A "bugger" is one who practices
sodomy. Clear enough?

Sandy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote in message
LOL! Actually, we don't herd those buggers, just raise a fine crop of
them each year!

Have you ever heard how the word "bugger" is perceived in the UK? It's
more than rude.
BRIT ALERT to explain please. ( I did it for N, not doing it again)

Tweed

Old October 19th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sandy wrote:

I believe that "buggery" means "sodomy". A "bugger" is one who
practices sodomy. Clear enough?

We got it. Homophobic insults are gross. (Yes, I realize that
heterosexuals do it, too, but I think it's safe to say that the
insult is the implication that the person is gay.)

I don't know what bugger refers to in the US, but it's something a
whole lot more innocuous.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old October 19th 08, 10:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Have you ever heard how the word "bugger" is perceived in the UK?
It's more than rude.

In most contexts, no it isn't. It's generally used in a friendly
way - "you daft old bugger" and the like.

I don't think I've ever heard it used in conversation with the
original literal meaning. "Buggery" sometimes is, but rarely.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old October 19th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
Have you ever heard how the word "bugger" is perceived in the UK?
It's more than rude.

In most contexts, no it isn't. It's generally used in a friendly
way - "you daft old bugger" and the like.

I don't think I've ever heard it used in conversation with the
original literal meaning. "Buggery" sometimes is, but rarely.

In my part of North America, it's used in an even more innocuous way
than Jack says - a parent might say 'You little bugger!' to a small
child who has misbehaved in a way that the parent can hardly avoid
laughing at because it's so cute - a toddler who's been told not to play
with his food has done so and created a funny but annoying mess, for
example.

I must have been an adult, or close to it, before I came across
'buggery' in one of the old books I was always reading, looked it up,
and figured out that 'You little bugger' had another meaning other than
'annoying but really cute child/good friend/close relative'.

Cheryl
Old October 19th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl P. wrote:

In my part of North America, it's used in an even more innocuous way
than Jack says - a parent might say 'You little bugger!' to a small
child who has misbehaved in a way that the parent can hardly avoid
laughing at because it's so cute - a toddler who's been told not to play
with his food has done so and created a funny but annoying mess, for
example.

I must have been an adult, or close to it, before I came across
'buggery' in one of the old books I was always reading, looked it up,
and figured out that 'You little bugger' had another meaning other than
'annoying but really cute child/good friend/close relative'.

When I was a kid, I read a novel in which a boy said "Aw, nuts" at
the dinner table, and his father said, "Watch your language, son."
I was puzzled and amused that such a completely innocuous word could
be considered bad language. It wasn't until later that I realized
what it meant.

Nowadays, people say "that sucks" to mean "it's bad" with very few
raised eyebrows. It might seem a tiny bit rude or slangy, but shaky
Abe Simpson voice when I was a child /Abe, that word was on par
with another word that rhymes with it, as well as the act it refers to.
"Bites" and "blows" were slightly less vulgar words meaning the same
thing. When did those words become so tame?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old October 20th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"MLB" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:
Last time the neighbor asked me to cat-sit I wound up in the
hospital! Let's hope that doesn't happen this time.

I'll be making sure Schwartzy and Fedders are fed and watered and
clean their litterbox. They are indoor/outdoor cats but she
particularly said she needs me to make sure Schwartzy is inside at
night. I don't exactly know how I'm supposed to do that since he
usually hides. I'll do my best! Wish me luck.

Jill
Suggestion: Tell those pussy cats they are now housecats. If you
don't let them out you will not have the worry of getting them back
in. The cats will adjust just fine. Best wishes. MLB
Absolutely not. Cats who are used to indoor/outdoor will not adjust
"just fine" to being kept in all the time for the convenience of a
temporary caretaker - and besides, if I'd asked someone to look after
my cats I'd expect them to "do it like me" (like June does)

Tweed
Worked for me and the cat was safe!

Pffft. If I asked a neighbour to look after my indoor/outdoor cat and
they kept it in all the time I was away to cover themselves for it to
be safe I would be *more* than annoyed.

Tweed

You are looking at this from a different perspective. I have been a
city dweller
all my life and have seen many, many smashed cats. I would never be
comfortable letting my cat, or my neighbor's cat roam while under my
care.

This is not the case here, is it? I assume that if Jill's neighbour is
happy to let her cats out, then it is safe for them. As it is for mine.
If I asked someone to look after my cats who were used to going out and
they shut them in the whole time I would not be best pleased and neither
would the cats.
Rat patrol would be out for Boyfie and he'd have to use a litterbox - he
hates that, only an emergency would make him do it. Like if he was shut
in and couldn't get out..

Tweed

That's why we have to board our three if we are going away, in Kayla's
case even overnight. They are so used to going out, but I wouldn't trust
anyone else to keep track of them when they are out. Or anyone else to be
able to keep them in if they are determined to go out.

I've just figured out that the nice place I like to board the cats is less
than a half mile from where my younger daughter lives. Jake and Molly
will not be happy, but it means I can take them there one at a time on the
days I watch my granddaughter and leave them to get baths. Molly loves the
place, doesn't care for the baths. Jake doesn't mind the baths, but hates
the place.

Jo

Baths? They bath your cats?

Tweed

Old October 20th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Jofirey" wrote in message

I've just figured out that the nice place I like to board the cats
is less than a half mile from where my younger daughter lives.
Jake and Molly will not be happy, but it means I can take them
there one at a time on the days I watch my granddaughter and leave
them to get baths. Molly loves the place, doesn't care for the
baths. Jake doesn't mind the baths, but hates the place.

Jo

Baths? They bath your cats?

Tweed

Yes. Lots of dog groomers will do it too, but I'd never subject
either of my cats to a place full of barking dogs if I could help it.

This place is a 'cat hotel' where they board cats, short and long
term. A few cats are there while their slaves are deployed overseas.
There are separate 'condos' for each cat or in our case pair of cats.
If they settle in well and want to roam around and visit with each
other they can. They will feed to your instructions and administer
medicine as needed. And they groom cats. You would be surprised the
number of cats that adore the attention. It helps that they all see
one of their number up on the table being washed or brushed out all
the time. Molly loves the place and is very social. She looked
wonderful last time she came home. Her 'whites' were so much brighter
than self-grooming allows. Jake isn't so crazy about it there. He
mostly stays in their condo up on the highest level with his face in
the corner. But he is getting grubby too. His Siamese colors are
starting to resemble the color of dirt. Plus he is so fluffy when he
is done.

Normally I wouldn't go to the trouble and expense, but my son-in-law
is very allergic and I'd like him to be able to enjoy their visit on
Thanksgiving and or Christmas.

Jo

Old October 21st 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:41:29 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Jofirey" wrote in message
.. .

snip
than a half mile from where my younger daughter lives. Jake and Molly
will not be happy, but it means I can take them there one at a time on the
days I watch my granddaughter and leave them to get baths. Molly loves the
place, doesn't care for the baths. Jake doesn't mind the baths, but hates
the place.

Jo

Baths? They bath your cats?

Tweed

I'm not sure where the idea came from, but my TED offers free baths to
all their clients on their birthday. Way back when I was a new
catslave I took Little Bit in the first time her BD came around - and
it took her about three days to get over it. After that experience I
decided to skip the free baths. The only other of mine crew to have a
bath was Spotty. That was more of a medical treatment than anything -
when she first came onto my patio she was VERY thin, filthy, had an
abscess on her shoulder, infested with fleas, and had one of the worst
cases of ear mites TED had seen.
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old October 21st 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Steve Touchstone wrote:

I'm not sure where the idea came from, but my TED offers free baths to
all their clients on their birthday.

Jeez, what a way to wish your pet a happy birthday. :0

Way back when I was a new
catslave I took Little Bit in the first time her BD came around - and
it took her about three days to get over it. After that experience I
decided to skip the free baths.

I can understand that!

Sometimes it's a necessary thing to do for them (or *to* them), but I
wouldn't call it a birthday treat. (Except in the case of the cat who likes
getting baths. And we all know there must be such a cat, according to the
law of feline mathematics which states that whenever there is an assertion,
"Cats hate X", this automatically implies that there is a cat who *loves* X.)

--
Joyce ^..^