Cat comics list - report

Old January 21st 04, 03:10 PM
Ted Davis

Default Cat comics list - report

I have been working on a list of comic strips featuring cats for about
a month now - this was prompted by a short exchange here last month.

Today's "9 Chickweed Lane"
(http://www.chickweed.com/comics/chickweed/archive/chickweed-20040121.html)
is Solange based and prompted me to post the link and an update on my
list.

The list is pretty well done - it's nowhere near complete: that would
be impossible because there are thousands of web based comics out
there and they come and go randomly. I have, however, reformatted it,
made it a static page instead of generating it anew each time it'c
accessed, and linked to it from my cat pictures page
(http://www.maem.umr.edu/tdavis/cats/index.html). The list itself
is http://www.maem.umr.edu/tdavis/cats/cat_comics.html. The
original temporary link is still functional, but will be replaced with
a 'we've moved' page and eventually deleted.

I found sixty-two comic strips of interest and one hundred seven
unique names for cat characters. I put a sorted list of the names at
the bottom of the page. There are still a few names I don't have, and
may have to contact the strip's creators to get - these are marked by
question marks. A few strips were found but omitted because they are
just too offensive even for me.

If anyone finds other strips that ought to be on the list, let me
know. I guess I ought to put a contact link on the page - I'll do
that later today.

BTW, one question raised in the earlier discussion was about the name
of Heathcliff's girlfriend: it's Sonja.

T.E.D. )
Old January 21st 04, 08:12 PM
Adam

"Ted Davis" wrote:
I have been working on a list of comic strips featuring cats for about
a month now - this was prompted by a short exchange here last month.

Are you only including current strips? One of the legendary all-time greats
is "Krazy Kat" (1913-1940s) by George Herrmann, which still has many fans
and an impressive web presence:

http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts...s/K/Krazy_Kat/

Adam
--
email: rubin AT bestweb DOT net

Old January 21st 04, 09:26 PM
Ted Davis

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:12:11 -0500, "Adam"
wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote:
I have been working on a list of comic strips featuring cats for about
a month now - this was prompted by a short exchange here last month.

Are you only including current strips? One of the legendary all-time greats
is "Krazy Kat" (1913-1940s) by George Herrmann, which still has many fans
and an impressive web presence:

http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts...s/K/Krazy_Kat/

Basically those that are being doled out one at a time - I have
omitted most of those I found that are archives only (some with
considerable regret, especially "Unlike Minerva"
http://www.unlikeminerva.com/ which almost made the cut but died a
couple of weeks before my cutoff (anything drawn by Isabel Marks is
worth checking out)): the idea is to provide a list that can be used
for daily or weekly browsing. I had to draw the line somewhere, and
mostly it's at no updates since early December (I figure a lot of
strips went on hiatus for the holidays).

Maybe I could add an 'archive only' section. Unfortunately, I didn't
keep notes except for the ones I used.

I haven't done the contact link for the page yet.

T.E.D. )
Old January 23rd 04, 04:24 PM
Adam

Are you only including current strips? One of the legendary all-time
greats
is "Krazy Kat" (1913-1940s) by George Herrmann, which still has many fans
and an impressive web presence:

http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts...Panels/K/Krazy

_Kat/

Basically those that are being doled out one at a time - I have
omitted most of those I found that are archives only (some with
considerable regret, especially "Unlike Minerva"
http://www.unlikeminerva.com/ which almost made the cut but died a
couple of weeks before my cutoff (anything drawn by Isabel Marks is
worth checking out)): the idea is to provide a list that can be used
for daily or weekly browsing. I had to draw the line somewhere, and
mostly it's at no updates since early December (I figure a lot of
strips went on hiatus for the holidays).

Maybe I could add an 'archive only' section. Unfortunately, I didn't
keep notes except for the ones I used.

I haven't done the contact link for the page yet.

Oh, okay. I just wanted to make sure you knew about that one. Thanks for
all your work on that list!

Adam
--
email: rubin AT bestweb DOT net

Old January 23rd 04, 09:49 PM
Ted Davis

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:24:46 -0500, "Adam"
wrote:
snip
Maybe I could add an 'archive only' section. Unfortunately, I didn't
keep notes except for the ones I used.

I haven't done the contact link for the page yet.

Oh, okay. I just wanted to make sure you knew about that one. Thanks for
all your work on that list!

I added the archives section - so far only two entries:

Krazy Kat Cat Name(s): Krazy, Tabby, Tomm
Some arcives from 1922 and 1937.
Unlike Minerva Cat People Names: Caleb, Goliath
A popular web comic that ended 17 Nov. 2003 after a year and a
half - drawn by Isabel Marks (which makes it worth a look all by
itself)

23 off-site hits on the page in the last 16 hours - not much
interest.

T.E.D. )