Where's the Bug Patrol?

Old May 11th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Where's the Bug Patrol?

Persia is usually so good about tracking down and killing bugs, except for
the one Palmetto bug that keeps showing up in my bathroom sink. And they
are vile, disgusting critters. Really just very large (flying) roaches (aka
water bugs). I think they come up through the drains. So I arrived home on
Wednesday and it was sitting in the bathroom sink. It actually looked like
it was trying to go back down the drain. Yes, please, flee! Hi thee hence!

Next time I went in the bathroom it was gone so I thought "whew!" And
happily washed my face and brushed my teeth. Now this morning it's back and
uglier than ever.

I'm terrified of these bugs. I know it's irrational but I simply cannot
reach in there with a paper towel and grab it and flush it down the commode.
It now looks like I'll be brushing my teeth in the shower. And Persia is
usually so fascinated with the running water in the sink; she'd surely take
this critter on if she saw it! Alas, she appears to be on strike at the
moment.

Jill

Old May 11th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Spray it with some Raid, then wash the basin and counter before using them.
You could also put a roach trap under the sink (out of Persia's reach). If
you are seeing one roach, the chances are that there are many more -- and
you may be seeing some cousins instead of the same roach each time.

MaryL

Old May 11th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Oh good, scare me more than a tornado! Eeeek! Cousins! OMG.

I bought some "all natural" roach sticky traps. Did they catch one? Nope.
Allow me to state here my apartment is not overrun with these bugs. Just
the occasional gross, really disguisting thing in the sink or bathtub. I'm
sure it would have made an amusing video when I first moved in here and one
was walking towards the tub... and I leaped out over it and ran screaming
(naked) into the bedroom and then on to the living room.

I've had a horror of these water bugs since we lived in Bangkok. My parents
went out to a Marine Corps Ball and left my brothers in charge of me (that's
a whole nuther story!) Scott ran a bath for me and one of these huge flying
roaches jumped off the window ledge and landed on his head. He slapped his
glasses off and yelled! We dashed out of the bathroom (Scott was literally
blind at that point; always had very poor eyesight) and down the hall. I
have been terrified of them ever since.

If I venture back into the bathroom I'll take a can of RAID with me. But
even when they are dead they creep me out.

Jill

Old May 11th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

snip
Jill

Yes, they are absolutely disgusting...revolting...or pick your own
description. Unfortunately, all the literature shows that one roach is
usually an indication of many more. This does not mean that your apartment
complex is overrun with them, and it has nothing to do with cleanliness.
Actually (as you said in your original message), they are a form of water
bugs. They spend a great deal of time in trees and get into our apartments
and homes through attics, water lines, etc. I once saw a roach flatten
itself and come into an apartment *under the door* -- a door that did not
look loose to me. However, I have found that I can spray on *heavily* with
Raid, and that works -- but only for that one roach, of course. My
suggestion for a roach trap was really for one that has roach bait in it
(not one of the sticky traps). There are several brands available, and
there are also some bait gels. I think Maxforce is one. Of course,
everything has to be kept completely out of contact with our cats. A gel or
spray could even be applied in cracks around water lines (a favorite
location of roaches).

MaryL

Old May 11th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

On May 11, 9:00 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

Raid MAX works best on roaches. I've had several apartments that were
quite overrun with them.
Believe me, you get used to it, disgusting and all. Fortunately, my
current apartment appears
to be rather clear, except for these weird big black beetles that I
rarely see alive. They make
great cat toys, so I often just throw the body away later.

Spiders totally wig me out, though. That's my grand phobia. Eight-
legged freaks.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old May 11th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Jane wrote:
[...]

Spiders don't bother me. Cave crickets and these water bug things gross me
out. But I only see a couple about two, maybe three times a year inside.
They are mostly tree dwellers; I think this one came in out of the rain (up
the drain) given all the storms of late.

Jill

Old May 11th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Where's the Bug Patrol? Update!

jmcquown wrote:
Persia is usually so good about tracking down and killing bugs,
except for the one Palmetto bug that keeps showing up in my bathroom
sink. And they are vile, disgusting critters. Really just very
large (flying) roaches (aka water bugs).

It's gone. Whether it managed to go back down the drain or crawl out of the
sink, I've no idea. I put the drain plug in and hopefully won't see it or
one of its cousins for a few months! Sprayed some RAID around the area just
to be safe and will keep Persia out of the bathroom for the time being.

Jill

Old May 11th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:
Persia is usually so good about tracking down and killing bugs,
except for the one Palmetto bug that keeps showing up in my bathroom
sink. And they are vile, disgusting critters. Really just very
large (flying) roaches (aka water bugs).

It's gone. Whether it managed to go back down the drain or crawl out of
the
sink, I've no idea. I put the drain plug in and hopefully won't see it or
one of its cousins for a few months! Sprayed some RAID around the area
just
to be safe and will keep Persia out of the bathroom for the time being.

Jill

I really meant to suggest that you spray the Raid *on* the cockroach because
it would work as a contact poison. I really don't think Raid will be very
effective against roaches when just sprayed around the room, especially
since you will need to wash all the surfaces that you or Persia might
contact. That's why I also suggested that you use some cockroach *bait* or
gel and place them in inaccessible places -- inaccessible to Persia, that
is, but often favorites for cockroaches (cracks, the small space above
floorboards, etc.).

I have an exterminator who comes every three months. He uses a type of
pyrethrin indoors that is safe around cats and uses a different product to
treat around the perimeter of the house. You would not have any control
over outside premises since you live in an apartment, but you could do
something similar in your own apartment. I have not seen any roaches since
I started this process (and they are *huge* in this area -- East Texas).
MaryL

Old May 11th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On May 11, 1:40 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Jane wrote:
[...]

Winnie says "dat bug too BIG for little Persia. I cud beet id up for
her or send my d*g Bear."

Will in New Haven

--

Jill- Hide quoted text -

Old May 12th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

When I lived in Florida, my apartment was overrun with Palmetto bugs.
They were even eating my *cookbooks*!

Someone told me to leave out wine bottles, uncorked, with a little bit
of wine in the bottom.

Darned if the bugs didn't crawl into the bottles (but they can't crawl
out). I don't think I had a single Palmetto bug when I left.

It's worth a try :-)

Ginger-lyn