One week and 3 days after introduction - more advice?

Old November 23rd 03, 10:33 PM
Tracy

Hiya,

I know EXACTLY what you're feeling, but please, do hang in there a bit
more. They adjust to each other on cat time, unfortunately, not on
human time. I introduced two not quite two year old females together,
one I'd had for nine months as a singleton and it literally took 6
weeks until Flower could move about the house unmolested a decent
portion of the time. Now they're working out a timeshare on the
backyard.

I know it's really emotionally disturbing when one cat is really
aggressive towards the other, but honestly, I think it's what they
need to do. At 3 months in, mine do pretty OK most of the time (except
when Flower "breaks the rules" lol), but there's still a spat of some
sort pretty regularly. But they also groom each other sometimes, sleep
peacefully in the same room, share litterboxes and left over food and
cooperate occaisionally on various kinds of mayhem. And I never
thought ANY of that was ever going to happen.

Interfere as little as you can manage. Here are some things you can
try to keep yourself sane. If they seem to be hurting each other, try
a sudden loud clap of the hands to startle them off each other. If you
see them glaring or Whiskers looks ready to launch an attack, try
throwing a ball or a toy in his face for distraction. Give Whiskers
alot of love and one-on-one affection and realize that he's trying to
protect his home and his human from another cat who he fears might try
to take it all over and run him off. Don't act like you particularly
care about Marigold. Act like Whiskers is your cat and Marigold is
someone else's cat who you're feeding and letting stay here. You'll
have plenty of time to nake it up to Marigold later on and actually
she'll be grateful for the lack of attention. Overwhelm Whiskers with
love and attention until he can't stand it and will WANT a respite
from you. And otherwise just let them work it out. Eventually Whiskers
will let Marigold do certain things and be in certain places at
certain times without interference. And slowly over time, she'll get
more "privileges" ....

I'd be surpised if it's still quite as bad in a few months.

(Danathar) wrote in message . com...
(Danathar) wrote in message . com...
So...

So I've had Marigold for a week and 3 days now. Marigold is getting
fustrated being cooped up in my room (and so am I because she is
Meowing at the early hours of the morning!). If I let whiskers in my
room, she tolerates Marigold as long as Marigold does not get within 3
feet of whiskers and/or they don't make strait eye contact with one
another. If Marigold does not Whiskers will hiss at her and growl. If
I let Marigold into the house and whiskers see's Marigold she chases
Marigold around my house right back into my room with hisses!

So...its better than before, whiskers does not hiss on seeing Margold
from a distance, but I'm wondering what to do next? Whiskers does not
seem to enjoy having Marigold around

-Doug

Well...disaster this morning. Marigold got out of the room I had her
in (I had a baby gate in front of the door which until this point she
had decided NOT to jump). She hid for a while...I could'nt find her.
She found her way into my roomate's room where she was underneath the
bed. There was a big problem...that is Whiskers relaxing room.
Whiskers found her underneath the bed and all chaos ensued

The claws came out and whiskers went after Marigold. I tried to
seperate whiskers from Marigold and got my arms scratched off.

I know it takes time, but I am wondering if this is really going to
work out. Whiskers was REALLY violent towards Marigold. I don't want
to have Marigold living in fear while she lives here!

Distressed cats owner...
-Doug

Old November 24th 03, 10:54 AM
Danathar

I TRUELY appreciate the words of encouragement! One think I did'nt
mention was that Whiskers is a female. So, my situation is much like
yours. Marigold seems to be doing fine with the whole situation
(except when she gets bored with her room...then she meows at
3am...sleep...somebody let me sleep!!...).

Marigold is confined to a a couple of rooms (one is my bedroom) that
is connected via a bathroom/shower room. Normally I open my door and
block it with a baby gate so both cats can see each other. It just
kills me that when I have to work and my roommate is gone for 3 or 4
days (he is a pilot for a major airline) that I have to close both
doors because I know Marigold will try to jump the gate when Whiskers
and I are not looking! She has to be cooped up like this from 6am to
5pm when I work.....and I don't have that many toys for her to play
with.

I guess I'm not sure if I need to be doing anything other than waiting
and trying to let them be in each other's company (supervised).

Distressed cats owner...
-Doug

Old November 24th 03, 05:12 PM

It just kills me that when I have to work
and my roommate is gone for 3 or 4 days
(he is a pilot for a major airline) that I
have to close both doors because I know
Marigold will try to jump the gate when
Whiskers and I are not looking!

Why not replace the door temporarily with a screen door? You can get
wooden ones for about $20. If you can't find one, it's easy to build
one. I have built two in the past two weeks for people that are doing
new cat introductions and it only took about an hour and a half. All you
need is 1 x 3's, 4 L-shaped brackets, wood screws, aluminum screen,
molding to cover the edges of the screen, a staple gun, two cheap door
handles and a hook and eye to keep it from being opened. I use the top
and bottom hinges that are on the existing door (you don't need the
middle one) and then screw them on the edge of the wood and just use the
top and bottom screws, leaving the middle screw out as the plate is
wider than the wood. I made sure to hang the door so it has at least
enough space at the bottom that you can slide a plate under it and the
cats can put its paws under the door. I pre-measured everything and went
to Home Depot and had the wood and molding cut there, so all I had to do
was assemble everything.
Either way, a screen door is a better option for you than a baby gate.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old November 24th 03, 10:25 PM
Danathar

I can see your point...but somehow I don't think my older brother is
going to be warm to the idea of taking a door off it's hinges But
you never know...I'll ask anyhow!

thanks!

-Doug