Pills and cats

Old November 25th 03, 06:28 PM
Wendy

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article ,
op enlightened us with...
Such a tiny little pill to cause so much trouble! Cajun, is feeling

better, and
now that he is, he remembers that he really doesn't care for me. Dean was
holding him, I was scruffing him and pilling him. Until yesterday morning

when
Cajun managed to claw Dean pretty badly. (Still got him pilled)

If he had restrained him properly, he could not have been clawed.
Restraining the cat without hurting yourself or your cat is easier said
than done.
http://www.doctordog.com/catbook/1-14cvg.gif
This shows how to hold the cat so it cannot claw.
Make sure some of your (or his) weight is on Cajun's shoulder so he
can't be a squirmy wormy.

The rest of the page is helpful, too.
http://www.doctordog.com/catbook/cathand.html

You're just going to have to bribe him to help you again.

I have found that liquid is easier to give than a pill. The cat doesn't
have to open its mouth for liquid. You can squirt it in between the
teeth (the gap behind the "canine" teeth) and let gravity do the work.

~kaeli~

I've had some success stuffing small pills in the same place you mention,
between the back teeth. Then just hold the mouth shut and massage the
throat. Wrapping them snuggly in a towel helps too.

Wendy

Old November 25th 03, 08:37 PM
Chris

Hello,
Do yourself and your pet a favor, check this site out all they have is all
natural remedies which can be put into the animals food or water.
www.felinemedicinechest.com
Good Luck,
Andrea
"Angela" wrote in message
Such a tiny little pill to cause so much trouble! Cajun, is feeling

better, and
now that he is, he remembers that he really doesn't care for me. Dean was
holding him, I was scruffing him and pilling him. Until yesterday morning

when
Cajun managed to claw Dean pretty badly. (Still got him pilled)

Last night, I tried a tiny amount of lamb baby food with the pill inside.

He
swallowed it. This morning, he refused it and the other cats converged to

help
eat it. Dean said he wasn't holding him again, wished me good luck and

left for
work. (Remind me to smack him when he gets home!) I couldn't get NEAR him,

he
is semi feral and the only person who can pick him up is Dean. I used to

be
able to pick him up a few times, but that was before I spent the weekend
pilling him.

I finally locked all the cats out of the front part of the house except

Cajun
and put the baby food spoon with pill on the floor. He ignored it for

about
half an hour. I finally scooped up the pill and walked over to where he

was
commiserating with Doby through the closed door. Somehow, I managed to get

the
pill down him by scruffing and pilling him quickly.

Maybe I'll try a different flavor of baby food tonight to encourage him to

try
it. I don't know. Maybe put Dean in his leather jacket so he doesn't lose

half
the skin on his stomach/chest again. (Dean is not the greatest of cat
restrainers, he tries, but he doesn't have the experience of working in a

vet
clinic learning how to not lose skin. He has never had to hold a cat who

was
serious about getting down before. I'd hold Caj and let Dean pill but he

can't
seem to get the pill DOWN his throat far enough. Add to the fact that

these
cats are his kids and he really HATES having to help "torture" them,
well....you can see the problem.)

Any good ideas? Cajun is excellent at hiding and knows all the escape

routes in
this house. He's not just your "normal cat", he retains his feral waryness
about me walking up to him, especially after I pilled him a few times.

Angela (Aol.com doesn't hop!)

www.rabbitadoption.org Rabbits & small animals for adoption--worldwide

links,
including vet referrals & other rescues, care tips, mail order products,

etc.