New Orleans is Saved!

Old September 6th 05, 06:03 PM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 07:25:06 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

Victor Martinez wrote:
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Oprah Winfrey is taking her show there for 2 days...

Is she going to pump water out?

Maybe she'll be helping locate dead bodies. Sheesh, what is it with
celebrities, anyway? She should send a million or two for the relief
effort and keep her ass at home

IMHO I expect Oprah is using this appearance as a fund raiser to
benefit all victims of the hurricane. She is smart and is a good hearted
person. MLB
Old September 6th 05, 06:09 PM
Mathew Kagis

Well, unlike Oprah, Howard will probably have the good sense to arrive
armed....

Mathew, Chablis & Muscat

Ps. Saw something on the news about the flooding, could take up to 80
days to get the Big Easy drained... What a horrible gong show.

Old September 6th 05, 06:38 PM
jmcquown

Victor Martinez wrote:
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Oprah Winfrey is taking her show there for 2 days...

Is she going to pump water out?

Maybe she'll be helping locate dead bodies. Sheesh, what is it with
celebrities, anyway? She should send a million or two for the relief
effort and keep her ass at home

IMHO I expect Oprah is using this appearance as a fund raiser to
benefit all victims of the hurricane. She is smart and is a good
hearted person. MLB

I HOPE so. She's known to be very charitable, but then again I don't know
the woman. This going down there thing won't hurt her ratings, either. She
can ride on the good tide of having "helped" when all she really needed to
do was put out a statement about sending aid and stay at home.

Jill

Old September 6th 05, 07:24 PM

Melissa Houle wrote:
SNIP
A local radio station, who is decidedly anti-PETA, talked with a PETA
representative on the air this morning about what the organization is

doing
to help. The rep indicated they are working with "on the ground"
organizations like the SPCA, Noah's Wish, etc., and said they had 3

people
lined up to go down and help rescue pets but they weren't sure they

could
get their people in. They can't get 3 people in, but Oprah can get her
entire crew in? What's Oprah going to do, the usual tragic interview,

"Oh
gosh, how does it feel to have lost everything you own?" If it's true,
makes me ill.

Jill

http://www.riehlworldview.com/carniv.../hurricane_kat
ri_5.html

Hugs,

CatNipped ---- Totally Disgusted!

If she REALLY wants to help NO, why doesn't Oprah send some supplies of food
and water down there. She can afford it, and donations of that type would be
a real help right now. Or invite some evacuees home to live with her at her
house and treat them royally for the duration? Otherwise, for goodness
sake, stay OUT of the way of the rescue and salvage crews! This is not a
time to stroke egos.

Melissa

They should send Bob Geldof out to visit Bush - "give us your ****in
money" - not that he actually said that apparently.

Old September 6th 05, 07:25 PM
Gandalf

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:03:27 GMT, Victor Martinez wrote:

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Oprah Winfrey is taking her show there for 2 days...

Is she going to pump water out?

She's got a big enough mouth on her; I think she's going to *suck out* all of
the water.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Robert Heinlein

Life is very difficult. Once you understand that, life becomes easier.
-Buddha

Old September 6th 05, 09:04 PM
Jo Firey

Victor Martinez wrote:
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Oprah Winfrey is taking her show there for 2 days...

Is she going to pump water out?

Maybe she'll be helping locate dead bodies. Sheesh, what is it with
celebrities, anyway? She should send a million or two for the relief
effort and keep her ass at home

IMHO I expect Oprah is using this appearance as a fund raiser to
benefit all victims of the hurricane. She is smart and is a good
hearted person. MLB

I HOPE so. She's known to be very charitable, but then again I don't know
the woman. This going down there thing won't hurt her ratings, either.
She
can ride on the good tide of having "helped" when all she really needed to
do was put out a statement about sending aid and stay at home.

Jill

Be fair. You really don't know what she personally needed to do. Isn't she
from that part of the country? Sometimes there is no substitute for being
there if it is at all possible.

There are a lot of people, like it or not, who practically worship at the
church of Oprah, and when she tells them it is a good idea to do something,
they most likely try to do it. She has a lot of power, and if she can use
it to make life a little easier for those impacted by these two disasters,
great.

Just as an aside, I really think of the situation as two disasters. One
natural and one manmade. I wish there were more news coverage of what is
happening to those outside the New Orleans levees.

Jo

Old September 7th 05, 12:50 AM
mlbriggs

Victor Martinez wrote:
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Oprah Winfrey is taking her show there for 2 days...

Is she going to pump water out?

Maybe she'll be helping locate dead bodies. Sheesh, what is it with
celebrities, anyway? She should send a million or two for the relief
effort and keep her ass at home.

Did you watch the show? They went in with many large semis loaded with
food and supplies. It was eye-opening experience -- much better than the
evening news. Watch tomorrow's show. It is worthwhile. MLB
Old September 7th 05, 12:53 AM
mlbriggs

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Oprah Winfrey is taking her show there for 2 days...

Is she going to pump water out?

She's got a big enough mouth on her; I think she's going to *suck out* all
of the water.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Life without cats would be only marginally worth living." -TC, and the
unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico kitty, Kenzie.

How you behave towards cats here below determines your status in Heaven. -
Robert Heinlein

Life is very difficult. Once you understand that, life becomes easier.
-Buddha

Grandalf, what have you done?

Old September 7th 05, 01:08 PM
jmcquown

Jo Firey wrote:

Victor Martinez wrote:
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
[...]

She is from Arkansas. I guess you could consider it "that part of the
country".

There are a lot of people, like it or not, who practically worship at
the church of Oprah, and when she tells them it is a good idea to do
something, they most likely try to do it. She has a lot of power,
and if she can use it to make life a little easier for those impacted
by these two disasters, great.

I agree, but I don't know why she had to be on-site or practically on-site
to do so. Maybe she felt compelled; I truly don't know.

Just as an aside, I really think of the situation as two disasters.
One natural and one manmade. I wish there were more news coverage of
what is happening to those outside the New Orleans levees.

Jo

Me, too. It only just occurred to me yesterday, my ex-fiance might have
been down there. He is a carpenter by trade, Louisiana Cajun by birth.
Most of his remaining family - a few of his sisters, his uncles & aunts,
cousins, nieces/nephews - lived in Bay St. Louis, MS. I understand Bay St.
Louis is another one of those places that is "gone".

When we were still together, *any time* there was a hurricane in the gulf
he'd pack up his truck with his tools, supplies and drive down to offer his
services to help rebuild. If he drove down before the storm hit then he was
there when it slammed ashore. I don't have any way to contact him at all.
(sigh)

Jill

Old September 8th 05, 01:27 AM
John F. Eldredge

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 07:08:44 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Jo Firey wrote:

Isn't she [Oprah Winfrey] from that part of the country? Sometimes there is no
substitute for being there if it is at all possible.

She is from Arkansas. I guess you could consider it "that part of the
country".

According to a biographical article published in 2004 by
_Business Week_, available online at
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...3331_db078.htm,
Oprah Winfrey was born in Kosciusko, Mississippi. That town is in
central Mississippi, not down on the coast, but she probably knows
people from the coastal region.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Another forward Nanny Cat anecdotes 0 September 4th 05 08:31 PM
Animal evacuation and recovery plan for New Orleans Candace Cat health & behaviour 1 September 3rd 05 06:08 AM