Cats and Cross Stitching

Old April 19th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cats and Cross Stitching

Mischief wrote:
Anyone have the fun of dealing with the above two subjects?

I love cross stitching and been buying those little kits for a long
time. For my brother's wedding, i made a pattern of a Geisha girl by a
cherry tree, and one of a Samurai. My brother and sister in law loved
it so much that they said i had made a family heirloom

Well next month they are expecting their first baby. I'm sooooo
excited. I wont be around because they want to be alone, and i don't
want to stress them. But i'll be seeing them definitely this summer,
so i bought a pattern of a Baby Announcement

The tricky thing is, when i stitched those large complex patterns for
the wedding......I was not owned by any cats. I havent' had the time
to really stitch with school and work.

But now i'm unemployed and inspired to get this done.

Sooo yesterday when i got home i opend the kit and began to separate
the colored threads.

I lasted five minutes before i noticed three pairs of eyes watching me.
Then i was winding thread when suddenly there was a cat at the other
end.

"MISCHIEF, GET OUT OF HERE!!!" I had to shoo her away twice before she
left me alone but kep a watchful eye on the STRINGY in my hands

Few more minutes i'm again winding thread and suddenly there's another
cat pouncing. "MAYHEM!! SCRAM!!!" She's been watching my every move
and i've had to bap her gently on the head.

argh.......

Somehow i FINALLY got the threads separated, and i've begun stitching,
The stitching isn't the hard part, it's the separating and handling the
thread is when i see eyes widen and butts begin to wiggle.

*sigh* Purrs that i can get this project done without too much hassle.

Anyone else cross stitch?

Kristi

Mine aren't too interested in cross-stitching, except when I'm trying
to separate the strands.
What they really love is the quilting frame. They will *not* stay off
of it.
What they *really really* love is when I was making "purr pads" for the
shelter, and filling them with catnip-laced batting. It's darn near
impossible to sew with catnip with 5 cats in the house.
My biggest problem is the cat hair. I spend a lot of time, and use a
lot of lint rollers to get the cat hair off when I'm done.
Sherry

Old April 19th 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

My projects are sewing and needlepoint rather than cross stitch, but
don't you know the rules? Any creative project involving dangling yarn
or thread, perforce, MUST include feline participation! Even Pan in
his last years couldn't resist whacking a long dangler with his paw.
=o)

Melissa

Old April 19th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I'll have to try hissing. Meals around here resemble the Serengeti
Plain. Kind of like those nature programs where a bunch of lions vs a
bunch of hyenas fight over the carcass of a zebra.

I had to laugh when you mentioned the hissing, though. I used to cat
sit for my friend Judy, who had a shy female cat, and who also had
Sage. Sage was part domestic cougar, I'm prepared to bet. He weighed
22 pounds, and while he carried more weight than he strictly needed to,
he was NOT obese--gives you an idea of how BIG that cat really was.
And he knew it. He had terrorized more than one cat sitter before Judy
asked me to do it. You had to put HIS dish of food down before you fed
the other cat, it was a law of the house. Anyway, Sage tried to boss me
around when I came over to do the food and cat box duty, and I just
looked that cat in the eyes and I hissed RIGHT back at him. You never
saw such a confused cat in your life! He had this completely
incredulous look on his face as if to say "She HISSED at me! Can she DO
that?"

Melissa

Old April 22nd 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew AKA NMR wrote:

Not that but I macramé yes a man does these things. I used to make 8 foot
high four side Christmas tree for friends and family and when I get a
chance it do small projects like this http://i3.tinypic.com/vseyw5.jpg

Amazing!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Old April 22nd 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Not that hard to do now the hard part is doing it and watching 5 furball
looking at the cord with that look.
I have tag team devils and I swear the talk to each other and plan a
strategic battle plan

That is it I know their secret Ohh no they heard me Help Me
.................................................. ..

Old April 23rd 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mischief wrote:

Somehow i FINALLY got the threads separated, and i've begun stitching,
The stitching isn't the hard part, it's the separating and handling the
thread is when i see eyes widen and butts begin to wiggle.

*sigh* Purrs that i can get this project done without too much hassle.

Anyone else cross stitch?

Around here cross stitching is an exercise fraught with peril. Huey
steals my thread cutter on a chain. Huey steals any chains he can get
his hot little paws on. He had my USB drive for a couple of weeks. I'm
still l looking for the one I bought to replace it.

Sonya loves thread. It doesn't have to be embroidery thread. Sewing
thread and the yarn I use in needle point and plastic canvas are also
very fun. Qui Gun isn't as fanatic as Sonya, but he also has fun making
his grandmeow squeal with joy. Huey likes threads, but chains are more
fun. Then there is Tanada, who will come out of hiding for a chance to
lay on the project in development. QC insists that all finished
projects have to have a minimum of five of her hairs in it. This is
also followed, now by all the cats. It's a miracle that I get any of my
patterns done, and I don't have any, currently, in the works that are as
complicated as what you describe.

Good luck and keep us informed on how you are doing.

Pam S.
Old April 23rd 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:

That's very cool! I always wanted to learn macrame so I could make plant
hangers but I never got around to it.

Wasn't it ex-football player Rosie O'Greer who said he enjoyed knitting or
crocheting or something like that?

Needle point. He even had several books of needle point designs
published in the 70's. He made it popular for sports figures to take up
needle work as he said it was not only soothing, but helped fine muscle
control in his hands and wrist, if I recall correctly. Rob thinks RG is
a very impressive person.

Pam S.
Old April 24th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew AKA NMR wrote:
Not that but I macrami yes a man does these things. I used to make
8 foot high four side Christmas tree for friends and family and when
I get a chance it do small projects like this
http://i3.tinypic.com/vseyw5.jpg

That's very cool! I always wanted to learn macrame so I could make plant
hangers but I never got around to it.

Wasn't it ex-football player Rosie O'Greer who said he enjoyed knitting or
crocheting or something like that?

Jill

Well it was Rosey Grier

See

http://tinyurl.com/f4gla

Great guy.

Jo

Old April 24th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew AKA NMR wrote:
Not that but I macrami yes a man does these things. I used to make
8 foot high four side Christmas tree for friends and family and
when I get a chance it do small projects like this
http://i3.tinypic.com/vseyw5.jpg

That's very cool! I always wanted to learn macrame so I could make
plant hangers but I never got around to it.

Wasn't it ex-football player Rosie O'Greer who said he enjoyed
knitting or crocheting or something like that?

Jill

Well it was Rosey Grier

See

http://tinyurl.com/f4gla

Great guy.

Jo

I remember a story I saw a program a while back, one of the commentators was
talking about how his kids (boys and girls) were dragging their feet and
fussing about taking dance and/or ballet lessons.

Until they learned Lynn Swann, now a Pittsburgh Steelers Hall-of-Famer, took
ballet when *he* was a child (the program then went on to show Lynn doing
some pretty amazing leaps and spins in mid-air to avoid the opposing team
trying to tackle him) LOL.

Oh, and Joe Namath really *did* wear panty-hose. For cold outdoor games.
Said they helped keep him warm! Gotta respect a *man* for that!

Old April 24th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
Jo Firey wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew AKA NMR wrote:
Not that but I macramé yes a man does these things. I used to
make 8 foot high four side Christmas tree for friends and family and
when I get a chance it do small projects like this
http://i3.tinypic.com/vseyw5.jpg

That's very cool! I always wanted to learn macramé so I could make
[...]

forgot to add

http://www.kepplerspeakers.com/speakers/swannlynn.asp

cats & current bird recommendations rrb Cat anecdotes 7 April 22nd 06 01:17 AM
Help with Lattice Balls? Rhino Cat health & behaviour 14 October 28th 05 10:58 PM
Another forward Nanny Cat anecdotes 0 September 4th 05 08:31 PM
cats and plug in air fresheners : problem? (cross posted) PawsForThought Cat health & behaviour 18 January 8th 05 01:15 PM
moving cross country with 7 cats you rock Cat community 6 December 28th 03 09:34 PM