Doing the painkiller med

Old January 21st 14, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Doing the painkiller med

Well, I knew it would difficult, so I fooled the Boy. I prepared his liquid
syringe and placed it on a stool next to me, then I sat in my chair and put
a blanket over my knees.
After a while he jumped on for laptime, I covered him with the blanket and
did the deed.
He needed it, as he was starting to mess about with his stitches and licking
his front leg where his drip was so it was two hours early.
Now he won't come on my lap, it's too dangerous. I don't think he'll fall
for that "on my lap, let me put the blanket over you" tomorrow.
Claire is prepared to help with his painklller tomorrow evening and until
Friday if necessary when his meds will end. I hope I won't have to ask her.
She came to the vets with me to pick him up and observed the vet nurse
rolling him in a towel to tell me how to medicate him. Yes, he does
flatcat there on the table, but he certainly won't do that here and Claire
said afterwards "you might not be able to do that at home" She knows him.
He fell for my sneaky trick of rolling him in my blanket today for his
painkiller, but it's unlikely he'll do that tomorrow. I wish he knew it was
for the best for him. but of course, he doesn't. He thinks that I've
betrayed him by gathering him up and squirting something in his mouth. And
he was well annoyed about that.
I wish he could connect it with feeling so much better in an hour but atm
I'm a bad meowmie who tricks him into bad things in his mouth and my lap is
not be trusted again.

Tweed

Old January 21st 14, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
[...]

He'll forgive you, but he'll no doubt have to do that every day while he's
getting the meds.

Lindy (RB) was on liquid thyroid medication for the last few years of her
life. After the first few days, she would run when she saw me coming with
the syringe. I'd chase her around the house for a while, and then she'd
jump up on the bed or couch and wait for me to give her the meds.

Joy

Old January 21st 14, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

[...]

~~~~~~~~
Yes, it can be difficult to medicate some animals. Holly was like a little
lamb when she was at the veterinary clinic, but it was impossible for me to
do some treatment at home. I paid one of the vet techs from the clinic to
come to my home and administer fluids and some medication that was badly
needed. Do you think it would be possible for you to make similar
arrangements if you and Claire are not able to do it yourselves? It was a
tremendous help for me.

MaryL

Old January 21st 14, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 18:35:44 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Now he won't come on my lap, it's too dangerous. I don't think he'll fall
for that "on my lap, let me put the blanket over you" tomorrow.

In my experience, the better an animal feels, the less likely it is to
allow medications to be administered.

But many people feel the same way, unfortunately.

He's going to get his pain meds no matter what. I was opened up myself
once and I can't tell you how painful it was in recovery so i know I have to
get his pain meds down him. He doesn't appreciate it at all, but I know I'm
doing the best for him.

Old January 21st 14, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

[...]

Awwwww! Well, he may get over it. If not, at least you have someone to
help you. I'm glad he's home. Glad he's doing so well!

Jill
Old January 22nd 14, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

If he's anything like Licky, he'll be back for more cuddles in no time.

When I sneak up on Licky to give him a dose of topical flea treatment, he
yowls as though being murdered, and then runs off, hissing at me with every
bit of energy he has. 30 minutes later, he's begging for attention again.
Short attention span.

--
Joyce

The problem with cats is that they get the exact same look on their
face whether they see a moth or an axe-murderer.
-- Paula Poundstone
Old January 22nd 14, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Not the same thing at all, but it takes 3 of us to clip Pit2nya's
nails,
DH, is seated and holds. She is wrapped up in blanket, her back to
him.
Neighbor holds he by scruff of neck. I cut nails. P2nya howls.
I always have treats in my pocket for when we let her go,
and she scuffs them up and walks away like nothing happened. LOL

Sylvia