OT - LA Bans Fast Food

Old August 1st 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default OT - LA Bans Fast Food

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in message
On Aug 1, 10:14 am, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in
On Jul 31, 8:39 am, "CatNipped" wrote:

This just left me gobsmacked!

http://news.smh.com.au/world/los-ang...new-fastfood-o...

or

http://tinyurl.com/5hkvhx

Now Big Brother is telling us what we can and can't eat??!!!

The smoking ban was tough on smokers, but at least there was some
rationale
that the non-smoking public was put at risk by second-hand smoke. But
who
does it hurt when we eat a Big Mac??!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Would be nice if the gov't and those who run it (and vote for it),
realized that you canNOT legislate common sense (seat belt laws, no
smoking laws, gun registration, jaywalking, et al). People, being
human, will do what they will do. It's called free will, and we have
it for a reason (do I know why? Nope, not in the least, but it'd be
real boring if we didn't have it, don't you think?). Do we listen to
the 'inner voice' that says "no"? Not real often it seems, but
still...

If I *know* it will hurt me (smoking), and I continue to do so (eating
at Burger King or Sonic or Wendys, don't care for McDs), then that is
*my* fault not someone else's. If I'm fat, it's because of *me*
(genetics, choices, diseases), I shouldn't be allowed to blame a fast
food restaurant for serving food loaded with fats. I didn't have to
eat there.

Now, if we could legislate that health clubs had to make themselves
affordable for all people (lol).... Not that it'd help me, you
understand....snicker

Smokie Darling (Annie)

I'm living in fear that if this passes the government will make exercise
classes mandatory and fine the people who miss their work-outs! Somebody
hand me my wallet, 'cause with Fibromyalgia sore muscles last for *weeks*!

Hugs,

CatNipped

I have RA and fibro (and a couple of other fun and painful things), so
health clubs are just a huge waste of funds for me. I can't even swim
due to shoulder, back and neck pain.

I understand, as Joy put it, that it isn't outlawing fast food, though
I must admit to not viewing the link you provided. However, you did
touch a nerve for me, with the other legislations that have come
around.

I mean, yeah I smoke, but... I do it outside, I do not smoke around
non-smokers, I do not smoke when I drive (don't use my cell phone
either). I try to be considerate of those around who are either
allergic, or just don't like the smell. I won't even smoke outside
when I go to a friend's house, if they are opposed to the smell.

Now, when I go into a grocery store, with my handicapped placard (my
walking distance is very short), and people *see* me walking (or
hobbling), and I get the "If you lost weight...." line of crap. I'm
5'10" (1.78 meters) and I weigh about 165 lbs. The thinnest I've been
as an adult was 145 pounds when I was 25 until 30. I'm a big girl,
but I'm not fat (my docs want me to *gain* weight because they say
that most of my weight really is my bone structure). That however, is
a whole *other* soapbox that I could spend weeks and years on (grr).

With me it's probably just pure oneriness, but I'd like to go to hell in my
own handbasket, thank-you-very-much! ;

Head Butts,

CatNipped

Old August 1st 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

[...]

***

People who use that weight line are really reaching for a way to be nasty.
I'm 5'5" and I weigh more than you do - and I've never gotten such comments.
Of course, I guess using a handicapped parking space if you aren't in a
wheelchair is excuse enough for some people to be nasty.

Joy

Old August 1st 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

[...]

BTW, although I wish you wouldn't smoke, I appreciate the thoughtfulness of
smokers like you. I'm physically and psychologically allergic to cigarette
smoke. My asthma kicks up if I sit next to a heavy smoker, just from the
smell of their clothing. I also admit I'm prejudiced, since my husband was
a smoker and died of lung cancer. However, as I said, if you're going to
smoke, I appreciate your keeping the smoke away from me.

Joy

Old August 1st 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Aug 1, 1:41 pm, "Smokie Darling (Annie)"
wrote:
On Aug 1, 10:14 am, "CatNipped"
wrote:

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in
On Jul 31, 8:39 am, "CatNipped"
wrote:

[...]

Strangers actually have the nerve to say comments about your weight
or
handicap to you in stores? Don't you use those little motorized
carts
they
have at King Soopers and Krogers? Once when I had a hurt foot I
drove
one
when shopping and had a few bad moments with strangers with it (very
slow
braking on the things). No one ever says anything to me except, "are
you
sure you should be in the speed lane?" - they only say that one
time.
Guess
I just look different from you, and I don't mean that card you
mention.

There must just be something about me that stops strangers from making
unwanted comments.

I've used the carts at Wal-Mart once in a while and the only comment I
got was from a fellow traveler who said "Wanna Race?"

Jo

Old August 1st 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Aug 1, 2:46*pm, "Jofirey" wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, when I'm in the cart, no one don't says a word. It's when I
park in hadicapped with my placard in full view. Watch me walk with
my cane, and you'd know it isn't weight that is the problem, but I do
have a form of BDD (body dismorphic disorder), so I'm hyper aware of
weight-related statements (in my head, I still see that 270 pound body
I used to have).

It's happened several times (always at Safeway in the "rich" section
of town, near the golf country club), usually by some woman who
is .... nevermind, that was mean spirited to even think. I've
noticed that some people at supermarkets are just plain rude, but that
doesn't take the sting out of it.

I've been told I was too dangerous to drive the carts, after I hit a
rack because the break didn't work, nor did taking my hand off the
speed control (they sent that cart in for service when the manager
tried it and it did the same thing to him).

Smokie Darling (Annie)
Old August 1st 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Aug 1, 2:11*pm, "Joy" wrote:
[...]

I'm the one with the cat (Pandora) who apparently wishes I'd quit
smoking too. She took to hiding my lighters when I smoked in the
bathroom. Now I go outside, and she and Jebediah sit and cry at the
window until I come back in. It's a no-win situation, but I'm getting
the mind set to quit again. It'll take some time, but I'm working on
it.

SD (Annie)
Old August 1st 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`[_2_]

I am staying in and trying to stay cool
Kyla
"Granby" ...
Kyla, for heven sake, if that were true, people would be dropping like
leaves in September. Your body wouldn't process it and, oh well....stay
in and stay cool.
"Kyla =^. .^=`"
I heard somewhere McDonalds uses styrofoam for burger filler.
We never eat there anyway and IF we get a 'to go' burger, we go to the
Evil Clwon place.
Kyla
"Granby" I agreed with most of these posts about Mc Donalds supper club.
Except
there is one comment I take exception with. That was the word "cheap".
I took my son, DIL and the two kids to Mickie D"S and, I could have fed
all of us with the same of less money at the Mom and Pop place in the
town near me. Hadn't been out to eat at Micki D's for awhile and won't
again.
"Daniel Mahoney"
There are a lot of things wrong with this rationale, not the least of
which is that unhealthy food can be bad for you without you gaining a
pound.
We see fat and thin people and we assume that the thin people are
healthy,
and that they eat healthy, but it ain't necessarily so.

Ain't that the truth. I go out of my way to avoid fast food as much as
possible - I'd estimate I end up eating fast food two or three meals a
week. And as much as I dislike cooking, I do cook dinner most every
night
(I get home before Nancy does, so I get to take care of dinner). I like
to think that we eat reasonably healthy, but it has still taken more
work
than I care to remember to lose 25 pounds over the last year. I am sure
that fat old me eats better than a fair number of skinny people but I'm
still a long way from getting skinny.

But also, what are poor people supposed to eat??! They depend on
places
like McD's for cheap and *convenient* food. How'd you like to come
home
after 8 hours at your minimum-wage job, have some kids to feed and no
spouse to help out, and you have no time or energy to cook, plus you
don't have a car and the nearest supermarket is 2 miles away. You're
going to take a bus to buy some vegetables?? Don't think so. You're
going to take your kids to Mickey D's!

I'm not saying this is a healthy scenario, but people depend on it, so
you can't just take it away from them without offering an alternative.
Because you can bet that while the gov't is happy to ban things right
and left, they're not going to spend a penny making sure that people
have other choices in its place. Oh, sorry, it's not government's job
*take care* of its citizens - you're on your own, bub.

Yep. Another example of government seeming to think they can legislate
"better" (for some values of "better") behavior without considering the
social conditions that drive the behaviors.

But I wonder if this is really going to fly? There was a major
groundswell of support for banning cigarette smoke in public places.
Will there really be support from the public for this? And what about
the fast food lobby - didn't they try to fight it?

I'm hoping that it is going fail due to public outrage. Assuming that
the
public can rouse themselves out of the widespread apathy that seems to
define "public" these days.

Meanwhile, we're still being exposed to pesticide spraying and toxic
waste, but by god, we're gonna be thin!!

And tainted Chinese imports, and mercury in our fish, etc. but Big
Government will save us from those evil ClownBurgers

Old August 1st 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote in message

Yowie wrote:

snip

Subway is hardly junk food (its healthy, and was designed to be
that way) but bythe defintion given in the article above, it would be
banned too.

Hmm, I've heard (but I can't cite the source, so I won't bet my life
on this) that Subway food has as much fat in it as McD's. (I do think
that Subway tastes a lot better, though.)

According to http://www.weightcommander.com/Subway.html, the highest calorie
6" sub is the meatball (my favourite) compared to a Big Mac

(table formatted to fixed width font)

Item, Calories, Fat, Carbs, Fiber, Cholesterol, Sodium, Protein
6" Meatball, 527, 26, 53, 6, 56, 1360, 24
Big Mac, 590, 34, 47, 85, 1090, 24

However, this doesn't say how much a 6" meatball sub with all the salads
(how I have it) weighs compared to a Big Mac, so percentages can't be
compared, nor does it say how much trans fat there is, what the GI (glycemic
index) is, what the total amount of sugar is, or anything about the
Reccomended Daily Amount of trace nutrients like Vitamins & minerals.

Common sense would tell me that because a 6" meatball with salad is a more
*balanced* meal than a Big Mac, and I would *guess* that the 6" meatball,
weighing more, would fill the stomach more than Big Mac, it presents a
better option for dinner. I have no idea about hte nutritive value per
dollar, but again, would guess that a sub with salad would still come out
better over a Big Mac which is - as far as I can remember, is pretty much
meat, cheese, sweetened bread & sauce.

I don't know where you are, but the standard meal deal with a Big Mac here
is fries and a coke. With subway its a cookie and a juice. Might be the same
for calories, but surely surely a cookie and juice is better - weight for
weight - than fries & a coke just for the avoidance of trans fat and the
vitamins & minerals present in the juice.

I could of course be wrong; I failed home economics [1]!

I'm a fan of Quizno's (another US chain - I don't know if there are
any outside the country, though). They're not exactly known for
health foods, but it sure is yummy. I also don't know if it would
qualify as fast food, exactly. The food is made to order. (But isn't
that true at Subway, too?)

I don't know Quiznos.

Back when I was a kid there was a shop - I think it was a chain - that did
'subs' (but not as big as subway) that were delivered in little red baskets.
The shop was themed around 1920's Chicago and the sandwhiches were names
after the characters surrounding the mythology of Al Cappone. I loved their
seafood roll. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the place -
but if it is still around in teh USA, I want still want to visit.

Yowie
[1] This is the sort of discussion I always thought should be the focus of
Home Economics at school - how to feed yourself (and your family) a good,
balanced and varied diet on a budget tight in terms of both time and money
whilst keeping in mind seasonal variation in fresh produce and storage of
food. But no, it was about whether the napkin had been folded properly and
whether you kept your apron clean. In terms of cooking, it more importnat
that the amount of ketchup on your baloney sandwhich was *exactly* one
teaspoon, and that you had gotten your souffle to rise to the specified
height than whether it was tasted OK and would feed a family of four on
minimum wages. I never really understood it as a subject of study, it made
no sense to me to fuss about napkin folding technique when I wouldn't feed
the goop I had mixed up to the dog.

Old August 2nd 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"CatNipped" wrote in message

LOL! Yeah, seat belts are a personal peeve to me too - I had a friend who
allowed her children to stand up in the back seat of her car - she
wondered why I never let my children go anywhere with her!

Nose Kisses,

Nose Kisses, doing much better Lori.

My kids used to really upset some of those people, usually women, who let
their kids ride without wearing their seat belts or in a car seat. Mandy
would stare at them in the parking lot then loudly say to Mike "They don't
love their kids any." Mike, playing along would ask why. Mandy would say
"They don't want to keep them safe and buckle their seat belts." I'd
pretend that I didn't hear them and the offending parents couldn't/wouldn't
call me on it. I think they knew they were in the wrong.

Pam S

Old August 2nd 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Joy" wrote in message

People who use that weight line are really reaching for a way to be nasty.
I'm 5'5" and I weigh more than you do - and I've never gotten such
comments. Of course, I guess using a handicapped parking space if you
aren't in a wheelchair is excuse enough for some people to be nasty.

I attract jerks, especially those who want to make rude comments about my
fat. I've tried to develop a thick skin about it, but it hurts when I hear
a kid say "why is that woman fat, mommy?" and the woman answer back "because
she's a pig honey."

Someone once jumped me about parking in the handicapped spot (we have a
placard around here somewhere) and I said, "Gee, you're right. My husband's
brain cancer isn't a handicap, and neither is my RA, mobility problems, or
diabetes." I only used the handicapped spots when it was raining and I
needed to be able to keep Rob as dry as possible so that he doesn't get
sick.

Pam S.