Ping Pong

Old April 11th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

Default Ping Pong

Sometimes I feel like the net in a ping pong game. Hobbes to Sam to
Hobbes to Sam.

Last night I noticed Sam in the squat position in the litterbox longer
than usual. When he got out all he left behind was a very small spot
of urine. Hmmmm. Today I got a call from the vet. Hill's is
reimbursing vets $100 for blood work for any pets that were fed Hill's
M/D food and she suggested I bring Hobbes in for testing. You might
remember that all four of mine ate the M/D food for a week before the
food recall. I told the vet about Sam's unusual urine output. She
reminded me that Sam had mild struvite crystals in October and since
he was eating the M/D she suggested I bring him in for testing as well
as a urinalysis. The blood work will be back tomorrow, but Sam does
have struvite crystals in his urine. His bladder was medium sized
which I guess means he isn't blocked but he is now on Hill's C/D
formula cat food. Of course the others are not allowed to eat the C/D
because they don't have crystals and of course Barnabus got a sniff of
the C/D and that is exactly what he wanted. He stuck his furry head
into the bowl and shoved Sam aside so he could get a bite. This is
going to be a lifetime diet...a lifetime of keeping Barnabus out of
Sam's food. Sam is curled up on his daddy's lap and they're both sound
asleep in the recliner right now. Hopefully we've caught this early
enough that we can prevent any serious problems. I know it could have
been worse...much worse actually since we're supposed to be flying to
Tulsa, OK on Thursday night and he could have gone untreated with only
our cat sitter coming in twice a day between Friday and Monday
morning. The vet feels the next 48 hours will be the most critical and
he should be ok by the time we leave and the cat sitter will know to
keep an eye out for any problems. It could have been so much worse.
But poor Sammy, he just can't catch a break.
'
Julie and Sam

Old April 11th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

GaDragonfly wrote:
[...]

Purrs that Sam continues to feel OK.
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old April 11th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

GaDragonfly wrote:
But poor Sammy, he just can't catch a break.

Yes, poor Sammy. Lots of purrs coming to him. I know about the feeding
problem, too. It's a constant fight to keep Caliban out of Miranda's food.

Pics at http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/
http://community.webshots.com/user/frankiennikki
Old April 11th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Inge Grotjahn

Am 11.04.2007 schrieb GaDragonfly:

The blood work will be back tomorrow, but Sam does
have struvite crystals in his urine. His bladder was medium sized
which I guess means he isn't blocked but he is now on Hill's C/D
formula cat food.

Poor Sam:-( But let me tell you about our Bandit. He had struvite
crystals in is urine about 4 weeks ago. Like your vet, our vet
suggested to feed him Hill's C/D. Unfortunately Bandit wouldn't eat
it, but the struvite had to be removed. So we searched the internet
for another opportunity to get rid of the struvit. We found out, that
the component of Hill's C/D, which is responsible for the
acidification of the urine, is methionine. With this knowledge we went
to our vet and we talked about it. He confirmed, that a diet was not
neccessary in case we could manage to lower the urine's PH by giving
him methionine. We found a drug for humans (Methionin, by Hexal). It's
a pill and Bandit gets half of a pill in the morning and half of a
pill in the evening. We keep the PH of the urine at 5.8 - 6.2. This is
the range, which dissolves the struvit. Since 1 week all his struvite
is gone and Bandit is fine:-) He could eat his beloved Nutro all the
time and didn't have a diet.

We bought litmus-paper (indicator-paper) to check the PH of his urine.
Fortunately it is easy to get a urine sample from Bandit:-) When we
see, that he is on his way to a litterbox, we put a little plate into
the box and Bandit doesn't mind to urinate on the plate.

To get rid of the bladder infection, Bandit had an anthibiotic.

This is going to be a lifetime diet...a lifetime of keeping Barnabus
out of Sam's food. Sam is curled up on his daddy's lap and they're
both sound asleep in the recliner right now. Hopefully we've caught
this early enough that we can prevent any serious problems.

Have a talk to your vet about my post:-)

Btw: Bandit likes his pill wrapped in liverwurst:-)

Get-well-soon-purrs from
Inge and the catgang
--
CatManiacs World: http://www.gwsystems.com/inge
Old April 11th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie Wxill

"GaDragonfly" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sometimes I feel like the net in a ping pong game. Hobbes to Sam to
Hobbes to Sam.
Julie and Sam

Best wishes for Sam to recover rapidly and for you to have a good trip.

Annie

Old April 12th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Sam does have struvite crystals in his urine. His bladder was
medium sized which I guess means he isn't blocked but he is now
on Hill's C/D formula cat food.

Poor Sam:-( But let me tell you about our Bandit. He had struvite
crystals in is urine about 4 weeks ago. Like your vet, our vet
suggested to feed him Hill's C/D. Unfortunately Bandit wouldn't eat
it, but the struvite had to be removed. So we searched the internet
for another opportunity to get rid of the struvit.

Hills make two different foods for this. The C/D is intended for
maintenance treatment. They have another one (called "anti-struvite"
of similar) intended for short-term use. We had our Ishmael on C/D
for a long time, then they changed the formulation and he'd never
touch it again. (Must have been a different factory - the stuff he
would eat came in modern tins that nested to stack vertically, the
stuff he hated came in old-style non-stacking tins). But he would
atill eat the heavy-duty stuff, so we gave him short courses of
that every so often and kept him on regular catfood the rest of the
time. It seemed to work.

I don't think I've ever seen a cat in so much distress as Ishmael
was with the acute blockage. It took a couple of visits to the vet
before it was sorted. One time, he still had urinary incontinence
when he came home (presumably a result of the catheterization) and
was in a hell of a mess after peeing over himself in the basket.
The other cats all shied away from him at first - then his son
Mingus came up to him and snuggled up close to this smelly matted
wreck as if to say "it'll be all right, Dad". It was the most
touching thing I've ever seen a cat do.

We found out, that the component of Hill's C/D, which is responsible
for the acidification of the urine, is methionine. With this knowledge
we went to our vet and we talked about it. He confirmed, that a diet
was not neccessary in case we could manage to lower the urine's PH by
giving him methionine. We found a drug for humans (Methionin, by Hexal).

Neat. I didn't know you could buy it in sensible quantities.

A related tip: some time after this urinary blockage Ishmael's fur
went dirty grey from the roots. After a while I realized that the
C/D food contained a lot of egg, which binds to biotin. In humans,
the distinctive sign of biotin deficiency is sudden greying. It's
very difficult to get biotin deficiency - most nutrition books report
the same case, an alcoholic who lived on a diet of red wine and raw
eggs. Marion here is a dietitian who works with exotic chronic
nutritional problems, so we asked a doctor she works for is he knew
where to get biotin. It was hard to find but he had a bottle of
outdated capsules in a cupboard. We gave Ishmael a couple of human-
sized doses and his fur grew black again immediately. We maintained
him on one capsule every couple of weeks for as long as he was on
the egg-based food.

Old April 12th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Apr 11, 3:06 pm, Inge Grotjahn wrote:
[...]

Inge, thanks for the suggestion! This sounds like the perfect solution
to my feeing woes. Is the methionine something you have to get at the
vet or can you buy it at a pet store or pharmacy? I am definately
going to look into this. While Sam likes his C/D food, which is good,
Barnabus and Lacey also like it,which is bad. I hate having to limit
their feeding times as well. They're used to grazing all day and
having the food removed in the morning is a problem.

Thanks again for the suggestion!
Julie

Old April 12th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Apr 11, 7:25 pm, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen a cat in so much distress as Ishmael
was with the acute blockage. It took a couple of visits to the vet
before it was sorted. One time, he still had urinary incontinence
when he came home (presumably a result of the catheterization) and
was in a hell of a mess after peeing over himself in the basket.
The other cats all shied away from him at first - then his son
Mingus came up to him and snuggled up close to this smelly matted
wreck as if to say "it'll be all right, Dad". It was the most
touching thing I've ever seen a cat do.

Awww, how special is that? I think I would have cried.
Julie

Old April 12th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Inge Grotjahn

Am 12.04.2007 schrieb GaDragonfly:

Inge, thanks for the suggestion! This sounds like the perfect solution
to my feeing woes. Is the methionine something you have to get at the
vet or can you buy it at a pet store or pharmacy?

Julie, here in Germany you have to have a prescription from your vet
to get the methionine, although it is for humans. We went to a
pharmacy with our prescription. The lady behind the counter wondered,
why the prescription was signed by a vet and we told her the story:-)
She congratulated us on our vet and said, that she doesn't see it
much, that a vet consideres human medicine.

I don't think, that you can buy it free at a pet store.

BTW: giving Bandit the methionine solved the problem of the struvit
much quicker than giving him the diet. Our vet, and of course our
Bandit, is very pleased with the result of the treatment.

I hate having to limit their feeding times as well. They're used to
grazing all day and having the food removed in the morning is a
problem.

Here the same. With 11 cats, where 10 are not supposed to eat a diet,
it would have been a hard task to get the feeding done. Our cats are,
as your's, used to have food all the time. Not 2 of them are eating at
the same time.

Purrs to you
Inge and the catgang
--
CatManiacs World: http://www.gwsystems.com/inge
Old April 12th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Inge Grotjahn

Am 12.04.2007 schrieb Jack Campin - bogus address:

Hills make two different foods for this. The C/D is intended for
maintenance treatment. They have another one (called "anti-struvite"
of similar) intended for short-term use. We had our Ishmael on C/D
for a long time, then they changed the formulation and he'd never
touch it again. (Must have been a different factory - the stuff he
would eat came in modern tins that nested to stack vertically, the
stuff he hated came in old-style non-stacking tins). But he would
atill eat the heavy-duty stuff, so we gave him short courses of
that every so often and kept him on regular catfood the rest of the
time. It seemed to work.

So, you were lucky anyway. Our Bandit refuses Hills at all, no matter
which formula. He prefers Nutro:-( So we had to find another solution
for him. With the methionine he can eat his usual food all the time.
After next week, we can stop giving him methionine on a daily base.
But we will check the PH of his urine on a weekly base. When it gets
to high, we will give him methionine again.

I don't think I've ever seen a cat in so much distress as Ishmael
was with the acute blockage. It took a couple of visits to the vet
before it was sorted.

I know exactly what you mean. Our Owl had blockages twice, but not
from struvite but from oxalate. Oxalate can't be dissolved and has to
be removed by an OP:-( The bad thing about Owl's story was, after his
first bladder-op he had to eat a special diet to prevent the oxalate
to come back. It took exactly 1 year and he was blocked again with
oxalate. After the 2. bladder-op our vet told us, that there can't be
a 3. op, because the bladder of a cat is quite tiny and Owl's bladder
has to much scar tissue to have another op:-( And because the diet
didn't work, he now gets his regular food and we hope, that the
oxalate stays away...

One time, he still had urinary incontinence
when he came home (presumably a result of the catheterization) and
was in a hell of a mess after peeing over himself in the basket.

Yes, the catheterization is very unpleasant for the cat. Pushing the
catheter in and getting it out again damages the ureter and the
bladder:-(

The other cats all shied away from him at first - then his son
Mingus came up to him and snuggled up close to this smelly matted
wreck as if to say "it'll be all right, Dad". It was the most
touching thing I've ever seen a cat do.

Awww, how sweet of Mingus to do that.

We found a drug for humans (Methionin, by Hexal).

Neat. I didn't know you could buy it in sensible quantities.

We didn't know that at all:-) We bought a package containing 50
tabletts in blister strips of 10/strip.

A related tip: some time after this urinary blockage Ishmael's fur
went dirty grey from the roots. After a while I realized that the
C/D food contained a lot of egg, which binds to biotin.

Thank you for this tip. I didn't know that. Here in Germany you can
buy biotin-capsules at the pet-store.

Purrs
Inge and the catgang
--
CatManiacs World: http://www.gwsystems.com/inge

Ping: NMR jmcquown Cat anecdotes 76 January 8th 06 11:15 PM
PING: PAT KittyLady Cat anecdotes 4 June 15th 05 05:35 PM
PING: Dan M Susan M Cat anecdotes 2 April 28th 05 04:16 AM
PING Bev in NZ dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers Cat anecdotes 4 April 6th 04 07:03 PM
An amazing ping pong playing cat.. Kathryn Cat anecdotes 7 October 23rd 03 06:55 PM