Chat tip: Stay logged into the channel

Old April 15th 09, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

Default Chat tip: Stay logged into the channel

Don't "hit and run". I stay logged in whenever my computer is on, and
scroll back to see what the current topic is about before diving into the
fray. People will often be afk but logged in, either working or playing but
with the chat window pushed to the back.

The trick to chat is to just start talking like you've been there forever.
No need to ask to ask, or to see if anyone's actively listening.

If you're using the web link to join chat, make a new web browser window
just for that so you can leave it running while you do other stuff.
Old April 15th 09, 08:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

Anyone mind if I cut and paste a log of yesterday's IRC chat? Might give a
bit of flavor to what others are missing, and an understanding of the
"flow" of the channel, how it's something to idle in, not flicker into for
a minute.

Perhaps the channel operator could add some code to copy the IRC log to a
web page automatically. I've seen this done for some busy channels.
Old April 15th 09, 09:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in
message
Anyone mind if I cut and paste a log of yesterday's IRC chat? Might
give a bit of flavor to what others are missing, and an understanding
of the "flow" of the channel, how it's something to idle in, not
flicker into for a minute.

Perhaps the channel operator could add some code to copy the IRC log
to a web page automatically. I've seen this done for some busy
channels.

I'd be happy to read it - and more importanly - see what time its happening!
I suspect i"ve logge don when most of you are sound asleep.

Yowie

--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old April 15th 09, 12:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_6_]

ScratchMonkey wrote in
:

Don't "hit and run". I stay logged in whenever my computer is on, and
scroll back to see what the current topic is about before diving into
the fray. People will often be afk but logged in, either working or
playing but with the chat window pushed to the back.

The trick to chat is to just start talking like you've been there
forever. No need to ask to ask, or to see if anyone's actively
listening.

If you're using the web link to join chat, make a new web browser
window just for that so you can leave it running while you do other
stuff.

Thanks for the tips and yesterday's link. I'm new to this chat stuff and
appreciate the advice.

Bobble
Old April 15th 09, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in message
.. .
Don't "hit and run". I stay logged in whenever my computer is on, and
scroll back to see what the current topic is about before diving into the
fray. People will often be afk but logged in, either working or playing
but
with the chat window pushed to the back.

The trick to chat is to just start talking like you've been there forever.
No need to ask to ask, or to see if anyone's actively listening.

If you're using the web link to join chat, make a new web browser window
just for that so you can leave it running while you do other stuff.

Well, it sort of bothers me when people stay signed in and I'll tell you
why. When I sign in and see people I think, "Oh good, someone to chat
with!" Except that's not always the case.

So I'll ask this favour of you: if you're afk (away from keyboard) change
your nickname temporarily to yourname_afk so there isn't any confusion.
It's easy enough to do - just type "/nick yourname_afk" (without the quotes)
in the text box. Thanks!

So far it's been a lot of fun! I've had to sign off and shut down my
computer a few times due to severe thunderstorms and I'm sorry about that.

Jill

Old April 15th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

"Yowie" wrote in
:

I'd be happy to read it - and more importanly - see what time its
happening! I suspect i"ve logge don when most of you are sound asleep.

Here you go:

http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/Stuff...c-20090415.txt