Wildlifes

Old May 2nd 12, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mosey =^..^=[_12_]

Default Wildlifes

Well, we had wun rite in ower nayborhood yesturday!!! Thu police or da
wildlife offishuls tried tu catch it an then shotted it. Meomie lukked
atta photo uv it inna innernet an sed 'Thatz thu ise creem place!' It
wuz inna parkinlot uv a playce wat sells ise kreem bout 5-10 minutes
walk frum usses!!! Meomie sez I gotta stop tryin tu git Out now that thu
snow iz gone or I will be eeten!

Dose coyotes is scary fur a kitty! We had dem in Southern Catifurnia, and
in Iowa.

Harri

MRRRRRT!!! on dem coyotes!!!! Yew bedur AWL stai IN nao. yeUP!!! srsly.
Weh hurd frum uh cuple uf owr nayburz dat der wuz uh Cougar heer in da
mobile hoam park wer weh lif.
Our naybor hurd uh skreem n et got uh kitty hoo wuz in da out, but t exsaped
n sew did da Cougar.
Weh is awl gunna stai IN!!!
Mosey, PookyKat, Sqweex n Pipps

Old May 2nd 12, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
rafflescat[_2_]

On May 2, 12:16*pm, Cheryl wrote:
Az yu nose, we lives inna middul uv a city. A small city, Meomie sez,
altho it luks big enuff tu me, butted a city. We gits cats, d*gs,
seegulls, pijins, mices, rats, an thatz bout it. Sumtymes a moose inna
parks, wat causes eggsitement.

Now weze gotten these fings called coyotes!!! They iznt sposed tu be on
ower intire island, butted they swum ovur or climbed onna ice or sumfing
onna west coste an haz been movin eeast tuwards usses. We NEFFUR had
coyotes, an thu noos repurts say they iz biggur anna more aggresive then
westurn coyotes cuz they mixed wif wolves onna way across thu continent
frum theyr propur home out wiffa cowboys anna buffalos.

--
Sam

OOOhhhheee! Da biggest fing we gets heer is a fox! N da bigfatcat
negstdoor bopped da wittle fox n he wan away. Dat showed him.....but
coyootes? Yu stay inna IN!

Harry Gordon
Old May 2nd 12, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Storrmmee

diz iz why da hoominz gifez uses winnerz, we kan sniff da owt wifowt da
dangerz, OEJ
On 2012-05-02 12:33 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
dat iz beree skaree stay IN urown IN, OEJ

Yah, but the Out smells soso inturestin this tima yeer!

--
Sam

Old May 2nd 12, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Will in New Haven

On 2012-05-02 1:32 PM, Will in New Haven wrote:

Wen da coyote alert is soundeded, onwee da mos' 'speriunsd kittees is
adbised to go to da OUT, effen wiff hoomin snupervisun, *and den onlee
wen dere ar wots ob trees aroun to scape two if a coyote appeers. If
you hab dog frenz adbise dem too stay in awlso excep wen woking a
hoomin and surtan bigfastfeers doggies, wike mine Airdale Terrorist
Hether, hoo ar suppost do discoruj da coyotes.

--
Wascal, Secratery ob da Xterior

Ize notted sure if addin a Airdale Terrorist tu thu household wud
akshually be an impurovement ovur thu coyotes, wich at leest stays inna
Out. I iz notted rilly a fan uv d*gs. They chases me.

Mine Ant Saras big doggy Sashi killeded a coyote out in Catifornia wen
it cam in da yard. Butted yoo wood be rite to be scared ob Sashi. I
wivd in a hous wiff her down in Saraland wiff myne Mommie an da
hoomins had to keep usses apart or I wood hav had to beet her upp.

WooToo

Hoomin note: Sara lived in San Diego and there were a lot of pets
killed by coyotes. One day she looked out the window and three coyotes
were coming into the yard. She yelled to her husband to get the dogs
in and then watched in horror as Sashi shook one coyote like a rat and
left it dead and drove the other two off.

--
Will in New Haven
Old May 2nd 12, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Dan M[_2_]

Hoomin note: Sara lived in San Diego and there were a lot of pets killed
by coyotes. One day she looked out the window and three coyotes were
coming into the yard. She yelled to her husband to get the dogs in and
then watched in horror as Sashi shook one coyote like a rat and left it
dead and drove the other two off.

I try to be understanding of all wildlife's place in the ecology, and I
do understand about wild creatures being forced into urban areas by loss
of habitat, but even so I have little love for coyotes. They do far too
much damage to small animals (including domestic cats) and too few
natural enemies.

Dan
Old May 2nd 12, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-05-02 6:33 PM, Dan M wrote:
Hoomin note: Sara lived in San Diego and there were a lot of pets killed
by coyotes. One day she looked out the window and three coyotes were
coming into the yard. She yelled to her husband to get the dogs in and
then watched in horror as Sashi shook one coyote like a rat and left it
dead and drove the other two off.

I try to be understanding of all wildlife's place in the ecology, and I
do understand about wild creatures being forced into urban areas by loss
of habitat, but even so I have little love for coyotes. They do far too
much damage to small animals (including domestic cats) and too few
natural enemies.

Dan

As far as I can make out, the coyotes aren't being forced anywhere;
they're perfectly happy to move into new environments like cities, and
are extremely adaptable and so do well!! None of the new eastern
habitats - wild or urban - are coyote territory, but as they moved east,
they found lots and lots of places with no top predator and plenty of
dinner on the hoof or paw. They wouldn't have found it so easy moving in
here if we still had wolves (although some people say the two species
can interbreed). As it is, the only other big predators on the island
are bears, which don't target quite the same food sources, and lynx,
which are not so numerous and very shy of humans, so there are lots of
places lynx won't live. Places with moose, caribou (and most especially
their young), hares, small rodents - and cats and dogs.

These coyotes killed a hiker in Cape Breton a couple of years ago.
People remember that even when the local expert says that cities all
over the continent live peacefully with coyotes.

--
Cheryl
Old May 3rd 12, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Will in New Haven

On May 2, 5:15*pm, Cheryl wrote:
On 2012-05-02 6:33 PM, Dan M wrote:

[...]

Oh, they _can_ interbreed with wolves and there is plenty of genomic
evidence that they have in the past. However, wolves are very good at
thinning out coyote populations and preventing coyote migration into
their territory. The reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone and
nearby areas was a tragedy for coyotes. They have to lay very low
because wolves will run them down relentlessly and kill them. On other
occasions, the same wolves will ignore coyotes but coyotes can't count
on it.

Sashi would not have had much luck with wolves.

--
Will in New Haven

Old May 3rd 12, 11:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-05-02 9:39 PM, Will in New Haven wrote:

Oh, they _can_ interbreed with wolves and there is plenty of genomic
evidence that they have in the past. However, wolves are very good at
thinning out coyote populations and preventing coyote migration into
their territory. The reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone and
nearby areas was a tragedy for coyotes. They have to lay very low
because wolves will run them down relentlessly and kill them. On other
occasions, the same wolves will ignore coyotes but coyotes can't count
on it.

Sashi would not have had much luck with wolves.

We shouldn't have killed off the Newfoundland wolf in the 19th century,
but it's too late to undo that.

Of course, there are lots of wolves in Labrador....for some reason, they
don't seem to float down on the ice and come ashore on the island
portion of the province, as the newsreaders call our bit. Polar bears
do, quite regularly. So do Arctic foxes, less often, but they sometimes
have rabies and as a result been killed if they come ashore because they
ruined our rabies-free status and pose a risk to our local red foxes,
not to mention pets, in the northern areas where they were spotted. But
not the wolves; they stay back in Labrador.

Some sheep farmers tried various solutions (guard animals etc), but
others have gotten out of raising sheep altogether because of those
coyotes. Apparently, they're very fond of lamb, along with cat, dog, etc.

--
Cheryl
Old May 3rd 12, 11:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-05-02 5:53 PM, rafflescat wrote:

OOOhhhheee! Da biggest fing we gets heer is a fox! N da bigfatcat
negstdoor bopped da wittle fox n he wan away. Dat showed him.....but
coyootes? Yu stay inna IN!

Harry Gordon

Weze gotten foxes tu, butted they duznt jenerally come rite intu thu
city. Furry neer thu city inna wooded areaz, yeah. I haznt seen wun
butted Meomie sez they iz thu red wuns, an thu wite ones, wat brings da
rabeez frum labrador, haz only effur bin spotted hundreds anna hundreds
uv km away frum usses.

She says same fing about stayin IN, butted at this tyme uv yeer
spayshully, I likes tu try tu git Out an eggsplore. I succeeded twice
resently, bekus Meomie wus busier then usyoual movin fings round (long
story) an I cud git past hur feets wile she wuz holding fings an trying
to git In an close thu door, alla same tyme.

--
Sam