Cat licking patio

Old September 9th 04, 04:44 PM
The Mermaid

Default Cat licking patio

My cat (14) has started licking the patio - anyone know why he does this?

Salt content? It seems very strange.

Also, he just licks at his food and doesn't seem as interested as
he used to be - have tried several types of food now.

Do they do patio flavoured food???!!! ;o)

Old September 9th 04, 04:46 PM
Karen

Oo. Time for a blood work up. This can indicate an ailment. Anytime a cat
stops eating you should get them checked. I have heard of anemic cats
licking cement.

t...

Old September 10th 04, 08:08 AM
Judy

I have to agree with you Karen!

5 years ago my (now previous) cat took up patio stone licking and as well
showed disinterest in food.

The results of her checkup and full blood panel showed that, not only was
she anemic, she was hyperthyroid as well.

Old September 10th 04, 11:26 AM
Kim

My himalayan with Chronic Renal Failure starting licking stone walls (and
eating kitty litter) when she became anemic. Yes, time for a checkup...

Old September 11th 04, 07:49 AM
The Mermaid

Thanks for all your advice - hubby had asked vet a few days ago
about licking patio and he just said it was to do with salt content
and sometimes they eat gravel too but it's ok...

However, when my cat stopped eating aswell we took him to the vet
for blood tests. Funninly enough everyone thinks my cat is a
Himalayan (He's just a farm cat but we reckon his long-haired tabby
mother either mated with a siamese or himalayan - sorry I digress!)
and the blood tests revealed that he is anemic - have to take him
back today for injections - antibiotics and steroids.

Apparently the reading was supposed to be 5 but his was 21!

Thanks for all the advice everyone - give your pussies a BIG HUG!

In article ers.com,
says...