Wal-Mart Workers Accused of Shooting Cat

Old January 2nd 05, 05:42 AM
Frank Pittel

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Gary wrote:
: We have 2 machettis, a couple of axes/hatchets & a chainsaw out in the
: garage.... plus a shotgun and 4 (legal - both hubby & I are licensed)
: handguns in the house

: That says it all. No guns, the cat probably would not have been shot.

: Gary.
: PS - In the UK, and without wanting to start an off topic rant / flame war,
: I believe the USA attitude to gun ownership is completely disgusting and
: dangerous.

They shot the cat with a pellet gun. I don't know about the UK a pellet
gun is considered a toy for children.

-------------------

Old January 2nd 05, 05:50 AM
Frank Pittel

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Cat Protector wrote:
: Playing devil's advocate in this one. These guys were just workers and the
: original story did say Walmart was outraged by the actions of these
: employees. I recommend people write to Walmart to find out what actions they
: are taking. If they side with the employees then I'd launch a nationwide
: protest.

The results of Walmart's investigation in the matter has resulted in the
termination of the three people involved. They also pledged to donate $10,000
to animal shelters local to the store involved. They also promised to
cooperate with local authorities in regards to this matter. While I feel that
Walmart did a lot of what they did to try and blunt any damage to their
public image over the matter. I do believe that the upper management of
Walmart disapprove of killing of cats outside their stores by employees. I
also don't think that blaming a large corporation like Walmart for the
actions of the ignorant and cruel actions of three employees.

To make a long story short Walmart didn't side with the employees and did
what was the right thing to do in the situation.

-------------------

Old January 2nd 05, 11:08 AM
Gary

They shot the cat with a pellet gun. I don't know about the UK a pellet
gun is considered a toy for children.

Not something a responsible parent would give to a kid. Point taken though.

Gary.

Old January 2nd 05, 11:10 AM
Gary

You consider that an "arsenal"? That's a fairly typical American
household.
You'd probably soil your underwear in my house.

(3) .22 cal rifles
(2) 12 ga shotguns
(1) 30-30 lever action rifle
(1) Colt AR-15 5.56mm "assault rifle"
(1) .308 bolt action "sniper rifle"
(1) .357 magnum revolver (always loaded)
(2) .40 cal semi auto pistols (always loaded)
(2) .22 cal pistols
(1) .25 cal pistol
with hundreds or thousands of rounds for each one
and (1) attack cat.

Judging by your list, you are probably right, I would almost certainly soil
my underwear. It is absolute madness.

G.

Old January 2nd 05, 05:03 PM
idseer

so much news ... so many idiots.

"Max Mustermann" wrote in message
age.info...
In article
Jim Vandenberger wrote:

Let's hope there is more happening to these morons that just a firing.
This is the usual WalMart, or any other corp for that matter, saying that
they are "appalled" etc. Let's hope the courts deal out some heavy duty
punishment rather than a slap on the wrist for these dopes. Heavy fines,
some jail time is the only resolution that should be accepted.
I think until WalMart makes more of a definitive statement on this, they
need to know that lots of people are watching and waiting........with
dollars in hand for them or another store.
I have written several letters to them. They can be contacted on their
website at:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catal...0:5436:121264:
121283

Old January 2nd 05, 05:32 PM
Mary

"idseer" wrote in message
so much news ... so many idiots.

lol!

Old January 2nd 05, 06:00 PM
Erik

You don't need to say things like that. Last time I checked, anyone and
everyone on here has a right to express how they feel, not call names. But I
must admit, I did get carried away with this based on emotions and the
thought of that poor kitty. I am far from a lawmaker, but I wish there was
such a thing as an eye for an eye rule sometimes.

Old January 3rd 05, 02:49 AM
Dave

In message "idseer"
wrote:

i don't know about others, but outlook express puts the curser at the top in
my reply setup so i would assume that is the preferred way. i do understand
the idea of a reply coming AFTER the post in question tho.
it surprises me how upset some people (not saying you do) get over this.

The top of the window is the correct place for the cursor, otherwise
you'd need to move the cursor to the top of the window manually to start
trimming the unneeded text.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Old January 3rd 05, 02:57 AM
Mary

"idseer" wrote in message
i don't know about others, but outlook express puts the curser at the top

in
my reply setup so i would assume that is the preferred way. i do

understand
the idea of a reply coming AFTER the post in question tho.
it surprises me how upset some people (not saying you do) get over this.

It just makes it damned near impossible to figure out who said what
in a long thread. Not that big a deal.

Old January 3rd 05, 12:38 PM
Arjun Ray

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:49:30 -0700, Dave wrote:
In message "idseer"
wrote:

i don't know about others, but outlook express puts the curser at the top in
my reply setup so i would assume that is the preferred way.

The top of the window is the correct place for the cursor, otherwise
you'd need to move the cursor to the top of the window manually to start
trimming the unneeded text.

Outhouse Excess does more than place the cursor at the top. It places the
cursor at the beginning of a *newly opened a blank line*, inviting people
to start typing, rather than trimming. The other readers which place the
cursor at the top don't open that extra blank line, so that you have to do
at least something before you have space to type - and it becomes clear
what that something you have to do is.

To give you some idea of how complete a piece of sh*t OE is, most other
readers have a "select quote" feature. Before invoking the "followup"
action (toolbar button, the 'F' key, whatever), drag the cursor over the
part you want to quote, and then invoke the editor window: just the part
you selected will be formatted with an attribution line, the rest already
trimmed away for you, and the cursor on a new line below the quote.

Microsoft, despite its billions, will never implement this, of course.
Their goal is to moronize you.

and puts the curaor at the beginning