Need info about spaying please

Old January 1st 04, 07:38 PM
Kim

Default Need info about spaying please

Not the whys, just the how's. Brio came into heat today and although I'm
terrified of putting my girl through surgery I know it has to be done. Just
thinking about it makes me feel so sad and worried.

Even though she's young (7 months) I'll be getting pre-anaesthetic testing
done as I want to minimize risk as much as possible.

What I'd like to know is the safest anaesthetic. I heard that there's one
even safer than isoflorane. Any info, recommendations would really be
appreciated.

Also, how long will she be in heat? I've read that cats generally go into
heat a couple times a year... is that true?

And, after spaying, how long is the healing process? I was thinking of
getting it done on a Wed a.m. then picking her up after work and taking
thurs and fri off work to monitor her... in addition to the weekend of
course. I

Please reply to the group as I'm using a spam-protecting email address.

Thanks so much for any info you can provide me with.

Old January 1st 04, 07:55 PM
Cathy Friedmann

Ah, that cute & pretty calico Brio kitty! :-)

Nope, a couple of times a year She'll probably be in heat for a
few-several days. Then go back out. Then come back into heat. IME (I
didn't have my first cat - in the early 70's - spayed till she was a year
old - d'uh! Now, I'd have it done by around 4 - 5 months old) the longer a
female cat remains intact, the closer & closer the heats come together.
Then it becomes more & more difficult to schedule a spay op between heats.

I've only had the one cat spayed. My other 2 female cats were already
spayed when I adopted them - at 1 to 2 years old, & my other cat's a male,
whom I had neutered. But w/ the first cat, the vet said to keep her quiet &
from jumping around for a few days post-op. Ha!!!! Yeah, right. After
maybe a day, she was acting perfectly normally, & aside from caging her -
which I didn't do, there was no way I could keep her relatively inactive.
No probs. Healed fine.

Anesthetic - there's a newer relative (IIRC) of Isoflorane, whose name is
now escaping me. I did ask one of my vets about it once - shortly after it
first became available. At that point she didn't seem to think it was head
& shoulders about the Isoflorane.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

. cable.rogers.com...

Old January 1st 04, 07:55 PM
Cathy Friedmann

[...]

. cable.rogers.com...

Old January 1st 04, 10:41 PM
Dennis Carr

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 19:38:33 +0000, Kim wrote:

Not the whys, just the how's. Brio came into heat today and although I'm
terrified of putting my girl through surgery I know it has to be done.
Just thinking about it makes me feel so sad and worried.

Even so, it's pretty safe, Kim. The odds of her having complications post
alteration, that I recall, are only slightly better than winning the
California lottery.

Also, how long will she be in heat? I've read that cats generally go
into heat a couple times a year... is that true?

If they are open for breeding and are bred on heat, on average they will
go into heat maybe twice or three times per year. If you leave them
unfixed and unmated, however, they will go into heat about once a month.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old January 1st 04, 11:36 PM
MacCandace

Not the whys, just the how's. Brio came into heat today and although I'm
terrified of putting my girl through surgery I know it has to be done. Just
thinking about it makes me feel so sad and worried.

Even though she's young (7 months) I'll be getting pre-anaesthetic testing
done as I want to minimize risk as much as possible.

What I'd like to know is the safest anaesthetic. I heard that there's one
even safer than isoflorane. Any info, recommendations would really be
appreciated.

I know it's scary and I never look forward to it either but it's a necessity,
unfortunately. When I had my last cat spayed (a little over 2 years ago), she
was almost 6 mos. old and she went into heat, too, before I did it. That heat
lasted about 5-6 days and I had her done right after that. I also had the
pre-anesthesia blood work and everything was fine but, yes, I was worried but
I'm a worrier anyway. I waited in the waiting while they did it and then left
once I knew the surgery was over and picked her up later that afternoon to come
home. It made me feel a little better being right there in the building while
she had it done. Of course, I had to take the day off from work and I knew
they probably thought I was crazy at the vet's office but I didn't care.

I think the newer anesthesia you are thinking of might be sevoflourane. My cat
had iso and she was fine but I also requested they use propofol as the
induction agent which cost a little more and I requested IV fluids during her
surgery, too, which they did.

I know it's a drag but, with the tests beforehand, she should be just fine and
recover very quickly.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old January 2nd 04, 10:37 AM
William Hamblen

On 2004-01-01, Kim wrote:

And, after spaying, how long is the healing process? I was thinking of
getting it done on a Wed a.m. then picking her up after work and taking
thurs and fri off work to monitor her... in addition to the weekend of
course.

The vet who spayed Jo kept her over night. The cat was in no apparent
distress after the surgery. You do need to keep the animal quiet until
the stitches come out about 10 days after the operation. Keep her in
one room with food, water and the litter box. Cats get over it pretty
quickly.

Old January 2nd 04, 10:37 AM
William Hamblen

Old January 3rd 04, 01:08 AM
Kim

I called the animal hospital today and got all the info. They said they
prefer to use injectable anaesthetic as opposed to isoflourane, because they
feel they can manage pain better. They said it's rare that they use iso...
and that kinda worries me. I've read that iso is much safer and leaves the
system more quickly. I hate the thought of all this so much but I know it
has to be done. 8-(

&
from jumping around for a few days post-op. Ha!!!! Yeah, right. After
maybe a day, she was acting perfectly normally, & aside from caging her -
which I didn't do, there was no way I could keep her relatively inactive.
No probs. Healed fine.

Anesthetic - there's a newer relative (IIRC) of Isoflorane, whose name is
now escaping me. I did ask one of my vets about it once - shortly after

it
first became available. At that point she didn't seem to think it was

head
& shoulders about the Isoflorane.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

. cable.rogers.com...

Cat info? Benjamin P. Cat community 5 June 11th 04 11:50 AM
Breeding guidelines - Seeking Info - Sphinx chris Cat community 2 December 29th 03 08:12 PM