Homeless with pets

Old December 16th 04, 04:59 AM
Takayuki

Default Homeless with pets

When I was downtown today, I saw something pretty unusual - a homeless
panhandler with pets.

I actually have a great deal of respect for panhandlers, because they
make their living standing at street corners every day, a more
troublesome, thankless task than anything I've ever done for a living.
So in my mind, their social status is higher than mine.

But anyhoo, I've never seen a panhandler with pets. She had a cat and
a dog, all wrapped up in blankets with just their heads showing, on
top of her shopping cart. The dog looked like some sort of beagle
mix, and the kitty looked like a white and black half persian. It was
27 F out (about -2 or -3 C?), at a busy, bustling intersection
(Harvard Square). It didn't seem like the best environment for
raising furkids.

I talked briefly with the homeless lady, and asked her about her pets.
She said that they were pretty warm, since they were all tucked in,
and were wearing pet sweaters. I didn't notice the sweaters because
they were under the blankets. I peeked underneath, and they were both
wearing nice sweaters, actually. I gave both the dog and the cat
scritches. They were good docile pets. Or maybe just cold and tired
- it was hard to tell.

So I suppose it's good to know that if worst comes to worst, and you
happen to become homeless, you can take your pets with you, although I
don't think I'd recommend it.

Old December 16th 04, 05:14 AM
Pat

"Takayuki" wrote in message
So I suppose it's good to know that if worst comes to worst, and you
happen to become homeless, you can take your pets with you

I've lived in a van with 8 cats and a dog (and one other person)before but
it was in the desert. So glad I didn't try to do it in a city.

Old December 16th 04, 05:51 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Takayuki wrote:

But anyhoo, I've never seen a panhandler with pets.

Really? Where do you live? I've seen a great many of L.A.'s
homeless with dogs, although I admit cats are more unusual.
(Mainly because of the nature of the beast - cats tend to
prefer a fixed place of residence, whereas dogs are more
adventurous.)

Old December 16th 04, 05:52 AM
Sherry

So I suppose it's good to know that if worst comes to worst, and you
happen to become homeless, you can take your pets with you, although I
don't think I'd recommend it.

Heh. I have a soft spot for panhandlers too. I talked to one last winter who
had a dog with him. (the dog's name was Suitcase Sam, by the way). The dog
seemed pretty okay with all of it, looked healthy. And of course, true to my
nature, I was more worried about the dog than the guy.

Sherry
Old December 16th 04, 06:21 AM
Takayuki

"Pat" wrote:

"Takayuki" wrote in message
.. .
So I suppose it's good to know that if worst comes to worst, and you
happen to become homeless, you can take your pets with you

I've lived in a van with 8 cats and a dog (and one other person)before but
it was in the desert. So glad I didn't try to do it in a city.

That sounds hard, being homeless in the desert, what with the hot sun,
and all. Eight cats in a van is a lot!

Lucky that wasn't in Australia, because if you're homeless in the
Australian desert, there's the problem of dealing with those nomadic
bands that fight over petrol.

Old December 16th 04, 06:23 AM
Takayuki

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

But anyhoo, I've never seen a panhandler with pets.

Really? Where do you live? I've seen a great many of L.A.'s
homeless with dogs, although I admit cats are more unusual.
(Mainly because of the nature of the beast - cats tend to
prefer a fixed place of residence, whereas dogs are more
adventurous.)

I'm in Massachusetts, Boston area, although I don't see panhandlers
every day, since I actually live a fair way outside the city these
days.

Old December 16th 04, 07:01 AM
Yoj

"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

My chuch is one of several in my community that serves dinner to homeless
people. I can't always help, but when I do, there are often one or two who
have dogs. The church stocks dog food along with the food for the dinners.
I've never seen a homeless person with a cat, though.

Joy

Old December 16th 04, 07:26 AM

Takayuki wrote:

When I was downtown today, I saw something pretty unusual - a homeless
panhandler with pets.

It's not so unusual in my neck of the woods, because the climate is
more temperate here year-round. I've seen a lot of panhandlers with
animals, actually. It gets pretty lonely living on the street, so having
a pet is probably good for morale. Also, I think it helps with getting
donations - people are more likely to give money to someone who has an
animal. One time I saw someone who had a cat and a rat. The two animals
were great friends.

I actually have a great deal of respect for panhandlers, because they
make their living standing at street corners every day, a more
troublesome, thankless task than anything I've ever done for a living.

Not to mention humiliating, much of the time!

Joyce
Old December 16th 04, 10:12 AM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs and best wishes for the lady and her pets to find a home
really soon,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Takayuki" wrote in message
When I was downtown today, I saw something pretty unusual - a homeless
panhandler with pets.

I actually have a great deal of respect for panhandlers, because they
make their living standing at street corners every day, a more
troublesome, thankless task than anything I've ever done for a living.
So in my mind, their social status is higher than mine.

But anyhoo, I've never seen a panhandler with pets. She had a cat and
a dog, all wrapped up in blankets with just their heads showing, on
top of her shopping cart. snip

Old December 16th 04, 06:19 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-16, Takayuki penned:
When I was downtown today, I saw something pretty unusual - a homeless
panhandler with pets.

I see a *lot* of panhandlers with dogs in the Boulder area; most often golden
retrievers. It kind of makes sense to me, from a number of angles.

In no particular order:

* People are less likely to assault a person with a dog
* People may take pity on the dog and give the human some help
* When you're in that position, you take a lot of rejection and nasty looks.
A pet, on the other hand, will keep looking at you with love.

Don't think I've ever noticed cats, though!

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!