anymore info on pancreatitis ?

Old February 20th 05, 11:57 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Mary" wrote in message
news:1108933935.81e8ec279b87429cb60a2d317e0f7952@t eranews...

"kitkat" wrote in message
. com...
Karen wrote:

Grant is going through massive hairball in stomach that won't move

right
now. We are trying to get it out so he doesn't need surgery. With baby

food,
I usually have to pat some on his mouth to lick off, and then he

decides
"oh, OK, that is good" and will lap it up pretty well. He has gotten

worse
today as far as eating so I have resorted to syringe feeding him. Did

the
vet give you one of those? Put the baby food in it, and then squirt a

little
at a time in the side of his mouth. I'd try that.

Nope. We were not instructed to force feed him.

It isn't forcing. It is exactly what I did with the turkey baster.

"Syringe" feeding and "force" feeding equal the same thing, though. Just
different terminology, one of which sounds more adamant than the other.

He isn't keeping
anything down anyway. I'm not sure that feeding him anything at this
point is wise.

I really wish there was a way to at least *reach* my vet today rather
than be stuck with only the Animal 911 option. It's not that I dont
trust them, I just feel more comfortable with the vet that has actually
seen and dealt with Jasper.

If you have a bad feeling follow your instincts. They can tell if he
is dehydrated and at least hydrate him. Just be sure they tell you
every thing they are going to do before they do it. All they have
to do is be sure he is okay until you can see your regular vet.

This part I agree with.

Cathy

Old February 21st 05, 01:24 AM
Mary

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

Nope. We were not instructed to force feed him.

It isn't forcing. It is exactly what I did with the turkey baster.

"Syringe" feeding and "force" feeding equal the same thing, though. Just
different terminology, one of which sounds more adamant than the other.

Right. Karen siad:

Grant is going through massive hairball in stomach that won't move right
now. We are trying to get it out so he doesn't need surgery. With baby

food,
I usually have to pat some on his mouth to lick off, and then he decides
"oh, OK, that is good" and will lap it up pretty well. He has gotten

worse
today as far as eating so I have resorted to syringe feeding him. Did the
vet give you one of those? Put the baby food in it, and then squirt a

little
at a time in the side of his mouth. I'd try that.

And kitkat replied:

And I said:

It isn't forcing. It is exactly what I did with the turkey baster.

I had already explained to the OP that I did not force the food
down her throat with the baster, I just dribbled it into her mouth
just as Karen described. Are you saying that this is
the same as force feeding?

He isn't keeping
anything down anyway. I'm not sure that feeding him anything at this
point is wise.

I really wish there was a way to at least *reach* my vet today rather
than be stuck with only the Animal 911 option. It's not that I dont
trust them, I just feel more comfortable with the vet that has

actually
seen and dealt with Jasper.

If you have a bad feeling follow your instincts. They can tell if he
is dehydrated and at least hydrate him. Just be sure they tell you
every thing they are going to do before they do it. All they have
to do is be sure he is okay until you can see your regular vet.

This part I agree with.

How nice.

Old February 21st 05, 01:37 AM
Cathy Friedmann

news:1108945334.fb2234bbebf993b3f7c90d4fde72f9f2@t eranews...

And I said:

It isn't forcing. It is exactly what I did with the turkey baster.

I had already explained to the OP that I did not force the food
down her throat with the baster, I just dribbled it into her mouth
just as Karen described. Are you saying that this is
the same as force feeding?

I'm saying that if a vet says that your pet needs to be "syringe fed" or if
s/he says the pet needs to be "force fed", they are saying the same thing.
Feeding via a syringe in the side of the mouth, because they are not eating
on their own.

Cathy

Cathy

Old February 21st 05, 01:52 AM
Karen

in article , Cathy Friedmann at

And I said:

It isn't forcing. It is exactly what I did with the turkey baster.

I had already explained to the OP that I did not force the food
down her throat with the baster, I just dribbled it into her mouth
just as Karen described. Are you saying that this is
the same as force feeding?

I'm saying that if a vet says that your pet needs to be "syringe fed" or if
s/he says the pet needs to be "force fed", they are saying the same thing.
Feeding via a syringe in the side of the mouth, because they are not eating
on their own.

Cathy

I understand this as force feeding too. Anything not eating directly from a
dish would be considered force feeding as far as I have ever heard.

Old February 21st 05, 01:58 AM
Cathy Friedmann

And I said:

It isn't forcing. It is exactly what I did with the turkey baster.

I had already explained to the OP that I did not force the food
down her throat with the baster, I just dribbled it into her mouth
just as Karen described. Are you saying that this is
the same as force feeding?

I'm saying that if a vet says that your pet needs to be "syringe fed" or

if
s/he says the pet needs to be "force fed", they are saying the same

thing.
Feeding via a syringe in the side of the mouth, because they are not

eating
on their own.

Cathy

I understand this as force feeding too. Anything not eating directly from

dish would be considered force feeding as far as I have ever heard.

Btw - as an aside (for Karen): One of my cats, Demelza, had a vet appt.
because she was ill due to a hairball, a few years ago. Just as I was about
to pick her up to put her into the carrier to go to the vet, she chucked up
the offending huge hairball. *Finally*. I kept the appt. for her anyway,
although of course she instantly felt better. Would be nice if that would
happen to your cat suffering from the hairball.

Cathy

Old February 21st 05, 02:24 AM
Mary

"Karen" wrote:

I understand this as force feeding too. Anything not eating directly from

dish would be considered force feeding as far as I have ever heard.

I thought force feeding meant placing the food in the cat's throat. When
I used the turkey baster with Gnarly, I just touched it to her lips and
she lapped it. It was NOT force feeding in that I was not forcing her
to eat it. If vets call that force feeding I think that is just strange.

Old February 21st 05, 02:55 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Mary" wrote in message
news:1108948928.9c000c5d2478945037c11b34bfabb134@t eranews...

"Karen" wrote:

I understand this as force feeding too. Anything not eating directly

from
dish would be considered force feeding as far as I have ever heard.

I thought force feeding meant placing the food in the cat's throat.

No, because when you place the syringe in the side of the cat's mouth,
you're squirting it - a little at a time - into the mouth, not down the
throat. The cat can then spit it back out or else swallow it.

Cathy

Old February 21st 05, 02:56 AM
Karen

in article , Cathy Friedmann at
wrote on 2/20/05 6:58 PM:

"Karen" wrote in message
in article
, Cathy Friedmann at

And I said:

[...]

Boy would it. I doubt it will happen. He isn't doing well. The barium xrays
showed a stomach half full of hair. I just want him to POOP. I've been
stuffing him with laxatone (per vets orders) so that he smells like it. He
does keep down food and water, and he urinates, but no POOP yet. It is so
frustrating. Tomorrow I'll take him in again. *sigh*

Old February 21st 05, 03:39 AM
William Hamblen

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:56:03 -0600, Karen wrote:

Boy would it. I doubt it will happen. He isn't doing well. The barium xrays
showed a stomach half full of hair. I just want him to POOP. I've been
stuffing him with laxatone (per vets orders) so that he smells like it. He
does keep down food and water, and he urinates, but no POOP yet. It is so
frustrating. Tomorrow I'll take him in again. *sigh*

The poor little thing might have developed a bezoar, which can happen
when a hairball gets out of hand. A bezoar might need to be removed
surgically when it is too hard and large to pass in the stool.

Cat info? Benjamin P. Cat community 5 June 11th 04 11:50 AM
Cats: Not Just For Target Practice Anymore James Marz Cat health & behaviour 6 May 29th 04 09:15 PM
Opinions on fatty liver/possible pancreatitis problem Underwood Cat health & behaviour 80 April 10th 04 03:57 AM
Need info about spaying please Kim Cat health & behaviour 30 January 6th 04 03:58 AM
cats w/heart mumors need info plz Angela Green Cats - misc 1 July 10th 03 11:10 AM