screen doors

Old June 5th 05, 02:56 PM
XYZ

Default screen doors

1st time cat-owner here...my cat is an indoor cat exclusively. my house
does not have air-conditioning and can get very hot in the summer.. are cats
able to scratch their way or force themselves through a screen door or
window??

Old June 5th 05, 03:35 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-05, XYZ penned:
1st time cat-owner here...my cat is an indoor cat exclusively. my
house does not have air-conditioning and can get very hot in the
summer.. are cats able to scratch their way or force themselves
through a screen door or window??

Depends on the cat. My cat doesn't even try. Others go crazy at
certain things, like the sight of another cat, and try to get out.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 5th 05, 04:30 PM
Spot

I fixed the problem by replacing the plastic screen with metal screen. Some
may try others may not even bother.

Celeste

Old June 5th 05, 05:00 PM
Rhonda

We've had some kittens climb the screen and we found the hole they made
in it before they got out.

The only adult cat we've had try to escape is a stray we took in off the
streets. He roamed the house and meowed incessantly -- and he broke out
threw a screen one night. He was an extreme case. The other adults have
all been fine w/screen.

If your cat seems a little too interested in breaking out, you could put
hardward cloth over the mesh.

Rhonda

Old June 5th 05, 05:12 PM
Hopitus

I used to be in your exact same situation, in an area where it gets very
hot, even on shaded porches. Right on w/the advice to replace nylon
screening w/aluminum (much hardier if cat climbs or shoves against). Our
cats in s.FL never tried to break out the screen, but when other cats/dogs
sighted through door, would stand on back legs and peer out. We were worried
re dogs outside trying to break *in* through nylon screening; they never did
w/aluminum metal screen door.

Old June 6th 05, 05:04 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 09:56:36 -0400, "XYZ" wrote:

1st time cat-owner here...my cat is an indoor cat exclusively. my house
does not have air-conditioning and can get very hot in the summer.. are cats
able to scratch their way or force themselves through a screen door or
window??

We had one, many years ago, that chewed through a screen window when
she was in season.

But that was only one determined cat. I recently adopted a cat that
was previously outdoors. He pawed at all the windows and doors for the
first week or so. He looked so sad. But he gave up, and even though we
leave the front door open with just the screen, he has made no effort
to attack it. He just stands up with his front feet on the screen and
looks out.

It's possible, but not typical. Just keep an eye on your cats, and
take action if you need to.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography