14: Lost Cat - UK advice

Old February 11th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
David Stevenson

Default 14: Lost Cat - UK advice

Lost Cat - UK advice

by 'Five Cats', Yorkshire, England UK

1 Ring *all* rescues in your area. Not only might your kitten be there,
but they might well have some advice on finding him.

2 Leaflet all houses within 10-15 minutes walk of yours. Offer a small
reward, put a picture of the cat on the leaflet and ask them to check
outbuildings etc.

3 Ring all local vets, or better still visit with the leaflet. The ones
where I live all keep lost / found registers.

4 If the cat was chipped and/or wearing a colour include that
information on the leaflets and let all the rescues / vets know. If he
isn't chipped and doesn't have a collar reconsider if you get him back.

5 Check with the cleansing department. The ones in the UK keep records
of dead animals they dispose of. It's better than not knowing.

6 Many local papers have a free lost & found section for pets.

7 Consider getting the local media involved, especially if the cat has
an unusual story.

My own experience of missing cats is more good than bad - one was
never found (I have a very sick cat and two young energetic kittens at
the time), one had got locked in a neighbours house (she only went in
for 5 minutes!) and one had been thought to be lost and taken home by
the finders, but they had reported him to the RSPCA.

The FAB [http://www.fabcats.org] might have further information,
though again they are UK based.

---------------

For other items on the same subject see

Finding your Lost Cat by Sharon Talbert
Item 12 from David Stevenson
Lost Cat Behaviour by Kat Albrecht
Item 13 from David Stevenson

Other Lost Cat articles
http://blakjak.com/cat_men2.htm
How to Find a Lost Cat or Dog from the Pet Action League
http://www.petrescue.com/library/find-pet.htm
All about Pets for people in the USA
http://pets.usa-net.net
PetSearch UK