California Earthquake

Old December 22nd 03, 11:52 PM
Jeanne Hedge

Default California Earthquake

Everything ok out there, those of you who were participants in
Monday's central California earthquake?

For those who hadn't heard, there was a 6.5 earthquake late Monday
morning in California. The epicenter was located near the coast,
roughly halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, near the town
of San Simeon (home of Hearst Castle, of William Randolph Hearst fame,
prototype of Xanadu, of "Citizen Kane" fame). As I type this, roughly
4-1/2 hours later, 2 are reported dead, and there were apparently
several building collapses.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com
Old December 22nd 03, 11:55 PM
Yoj

Wow! Obviously you heard a later update than I did. I guess it is
understandable that there was such serious damage. There are a lot of
old buildings in that area. I'm far enough south that all I felt was
one little jolt that made me think of earthquakes. My daughter, who
works on the 9th floor of a building in downtown Los Angeles, said their
building rocked for about a minute.

--
Joy

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter (or Summer) Solstice,
Hogmanay and New Year! If that didn't cover it, Season's Greetings!

Old December 23rd 03, 02:27 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:55:30 GMT, "Yoj" wrote:

Wow! Obviously you heard a later update than I did. I guess it is

Just what I saw on CNN

understandable that there was such serious damage. There are a lot of
old buildings in that area. I'm far enough south that all I felt was
one little jolt that made me think of earthquakes. My daughter, who
works on the 9th floor of a building in downtown Los Angeles, said their
building rocked for about a minute.

Here are some links:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/12/2...ake/index.html
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...if-quake_x.htm
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...757EST0655.DTL

Old December 23rd 03, 03:44 AM
Mary

Everything ok out there, those of you who were participants in
Monday's central California earthquake?

I was in Westlake meeting with some attorneys. Everything was swaying and
rolling for over a minute. The drapes and chandeliers swayed for another ten
minutes while the vases rocked a little on their display platforms. My husband
in LA didn't feel anything as he was in the shower. There were lots of fire
trucks as I drove back home. Everything was fine at my place. I seismically
retrofitted my house.
Old December 23rd 03, 03:52 AM
Marina

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote
Everything ok out there, those of you who were participants in
Monday's central California earthquake?

Purrs that everyone of rpca is alright, and purrs for the family and friends
of those who were killed or injured.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old December 23rd 03, 04:23 AM

Jeanne Hedge wrote:

Everything ok out there, those of you who were participants in
Monday's central California earthquake?

Fine here in the Bay Area. In fact I didn't feel a thing, due to the
nocturnal hours I keep - at 11:20 AM when the quake hit, I was sound
asleep! But other folks local to this area said they did feel it fairly
strongly. No damage around here, though.

Joyce
Old December 23rd 03, 05:50 AM
Arthur Shapiro

In article , Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Everything ok out there, those of you who were participants in
Monday's central California earthquake?

Down here in southern Cal, I didn't feel anything although there were reports
of people in highrise buildings being quite aware of something going on. I'm
probably a good 280 or 300 miles from that area.

I've always had a warm spot for Paso Robles, having done a fair amount of
cycling through there, and the adjoining areas, when I lived in Santa Barbara
in the 70's and 80's. While San Luis Obispo County is getting gradually
ruined by overdevelopment, it is still quite peaceful and liveable when
contrasted with other less sane parts of this state. It's a real pity that
such a lovely area had to get hit.

Art
Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at this ISP to reach me
Old December 23rd 03, 08:24 AM
Yoj

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In article , Jeanne Hedge

wrote:
[...]

I'm also in Southern California (Simi Valley). I felt one little jolt
that made me think of earthquakes and didn't think any more about it
until I heard there had been one. My daughter, who works on the 9th
floor of a building in downtown Los Angeles, said her building swayed
for about a minute.

Joy

Old December 23rd 03, 10:16 AM
polonca12000

Purrs and best wishes for everyone affected,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
Everything ok out there, those of you who were participants in
Monday's central California earthquake?

snip