putting to sleep options?

Old April 4th 04, 07:26 PM
jesseH

Default putting to sleep options?

Our cat is not going to make it.
What are the options that vet will give me to put her to sleep?
What options for body disposal with vet ( I dont want to bring her home to
bury in back yard)
Can you give me some kind of idea of cost for the vet?

thank you

Old April 4th 04, 07:58 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"jesseH" wrote in message
Our cat is not going to make it.
What are the options that vet will give me to put her to sleep?
What options for body disposal with vet ( I dont want to bring her home to
bury in back yard)
Can you give me some kind of idea of cost for the vet?

thank you

You can be with her, or not. If you want to be with her, ask the vet ahead
of time, or at the very beginning of the appt., what to expect - to explain
the process to you. You can pet her during the procedure w/out getting in
the way. I've been w/ 2 cats who were euthanized, & both events went very
smoothly. One cat was given a sedative shot in her foreleg first, since she
was very feisty, even when that ill. The other simply got the one shot.
Depends on the circumstances. Price?? I'd say anywhere from $25 - $100,
depending on where you live, what your own vet happens to charge, how long
you've been a client of the vet's, etc., etc.

You can opt to have the vet dispose of her body if you don't want it for
burial. You can also opt for cremation: either mass or private. If private,
you can (but don't have to) ask to have her ashes back; they'll come in a
small container - my cats' ashes have been returned in a little white box.
If mass, they can often give you back ashes anyway - which will mostly be
that of your pet- but no guarantees. At my vet's a mass cremation is
approx. $45, & a private one costs $100.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old April 4th 04, 08:51 PM
MacCandace

I just paid $156 to have my sweet Cory euthanized a week ago. I'm in Phoenix,
AZ. We had him cremated privately and got his ashes back so that was a little
more expensive than if we had had him mass cremated and not requested the
ashes. I'm thinking it would have been around $100 if we had not done that.
He is the fifth cat I've been with during euthanasia. Three were officially
ours, 1 was a stray kitty that we had outside who we were taking care of and
planning to bring inside, and another was a stray at an apt. complex I lived at
many years ago who got sick.

My vet explained the process last week even though I knew what it was. The
office girl also came in and asked me if I wanted to pay ahead of time so we
could make a quick exit afterwards. Everyone was very kind and I have always
found that to be so.

It's a very fast procedure and 4 of them were very peaceful. One,
unfortunately, freaked out a little as she was given the first shot and howled
so that was a little unpleasant (but still very quick). That's rare, though,
and I think it's a nice thing to be with your cat at the end of its life and
pet it and let it know it's loved.

I'm sorry about your cat. It's a difficult decision to make even when you know
you are doing the right thing.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old April 4th 04, 08:57 PM
Mary

"jesseH" wrote in message
Our cat is not going to make it.
What are the options that vet will give me to put her to sleep?
What options for body disposal with vet ( I dont want to bring her

home to
bury in back yard)
Can you give me some kind of idea of cost for the vet?

thank you

Just what did the vet say, Dan G, quilterhusband, Jesse? Was it "nerve
damage?" Or didn't you really take her to the vet? If you did, it
seems
he would have told you.

Old April 5th 04, 12:26 AM
Lotte

Jesse -- I'm sorry this happened to your pet. I buried my big orange cat
Nozzler, who died last year, in my back yard, and I'm glad I did. I made
him a little grave with a headstone, and planted a salvia plant nearby,
which bloomed for weeks, and will bloom every spring as long as it's there.
I know it seems kind of morbid and weird, but I like thinking that he's sort
of still nearby, that his bits have become "reincarnated" as part of my
yard. -- L.

Old April 5th 04, 01:18 AM
Sherry

I made
him a little grave with a headstone, and planted a salvia plant nearby,
which bloomed for weeks, and will bloom every spring as long as it's there.
I know it seems kind of morbid and weird, but I like thinking that he's sort
of still nearby, that his bits have become "reincarnated" as part of my
yard. -- L.

That's not morbid or weird at all. I think it's a very sweet reminder that your
Nozzler still lives on in your memories.

Sherry