Valentine's Day Alone

Old February 14th 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Default Valentine's Day Alone

It isn't much fun to be alone on this day, feeling like no one will ever
love me again (pity party). But I got a special and unexpected
Valentine's Day gift that I will treasure.

You may remember me mentioning my cousin Jane, who passed not too long
ago. I still have been mourning all the losses and the lost chance to
say goodbye. I was thinking about Jane today, when there was a knock on
the door. I went down, and there was her son, Steve, and a friend, with
three boxes of astrology and other spiritually-related books of Jane's
that I had asked for if they wanted to pass them along. Since her
daughter is a Jehovah's Witness, I'm sure she was glad to get rid of
them. And now I have books on everything from astrology to Feng Shui.
A nice gift from beyond this world.

I loved you, Jane. You were a great person, and a great cat lover. I
will always miss you. And thanks for the books :-)

Ginger-lyn
Old February 15th 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Our town is celebrating Valentine's with a tempest in a teapot over
some idiots at the local paper and a teenage girl.

Now small local papers really should stick to stories off the wire, or
at least hire one person that is literate. Preferable one with half
way decent judgement. But then where would the fun be.

So a local reporter decides to write a story and the local
photographer decides to help her out. His judgement is worse than
hers. And some fool decides to put their joint efforts on the front
page along with large color photo's.

Article is evidently intended to promote local business, but the
writer had to make sure everyone knew how cool she is by interviewing
a few 'adult stores' that sell 'adult video and toys'.

The picture with the caption, at 1/4 of a page is of a local girl
trying on lingerie at the Mistique Botique. Caption gives her name
and very small town she lives in, and says she is eighteen. Friends
say she is seventeen and her parents are mad as hell.

Not to mention the picture is taken over her shoulder of her looking
in the mirror in the dressing room, which makes some wonder what the
he$$ the photographer was doing in the dressing room.

Smal towns. Not as boring as you might think.

Jo

Old February 15th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Feb 14, 2:59*pm, Ginger-lyn wrote:
It isn't much fun to be alone on this day, feeling like no one will ever
love me again (pity party).

Jackie, on "That Seventies Show," says that Valentines Day is the
holiest day of the year. But I don't take it quite that seriously. "No
romance" isn't the same as "no one loves you." You are loved and, who
knows, romance might be right around the corner. Now whether that's
good or bad is a different question. :-,)

But I got a special and unexpected
Valentine's Day gift that I will treasure.

You may remember me mentioning my cousin Jane, who passed not too long
ago. *I still have been mourning all the losses and the lost chance to
say goodbye. *I was thinking about Jane today, when there was a knock on
the door. *I went down, and there was her son, Steve, and a friend, with
three boxes of astrology and other spiritually-related books of Jane's
that I had asked for if they wanted to pass them along. *Since her
daughter is a Jehovah's Witness, I'm sure she was glad to get rid of
them. *And now I have books on everything from astrology to Feng Shui.
A nice gift from beyond this world.

I loved you, Jane. *You were a great person, and a great cat lover. *I
will always miss you. *And thanks for the books :-)

I got some of my mom's books when she went. And WooToo, her cat.
Everything she left behind is wonderful to me.

--
Will in New Haven
Old February 15th 09, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

Will in New Haven wrote:
Jackie, on "That Seventies Show," says that Valentines Day is
the
holiest day of the year.

Then Jackie's wrong. *SAINT* Valentine's Day isn't a feast of
obligation within the Holy Roman Catholic Church. Saint Valentine
is one of the minor saints.

Having said that, it does annoy me when people just call it
"Valentine's Day". After all, one doesn't refer to "Patrick's
Day", or "George's Day", or "Swithin's Day", does one?

--
MatSav

Old February 15th 09, 12:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MatSav matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote:

Will in New Haven wrote:

Jackie, on "That Seventies Show," says that Valentines Day is
the holiest day of the year.

Then Jackie's wrong. *SAINT* Valentine's Day isn't a feast of
obligation within the Holy Roman Catholic Church. Saint Valentine
is one of the minor saints.

Having said that, it does annoy me when people just call it
"Valentine's Day". After all, one doesn't refer to "Patrick's
Day", or "George's Day", or "Swithin's Day", does one?

I probably hear it referred to as Valentine's day 20 times to every
one time I hear it with the "Saint" prepended. I'm afraid Lesley's Dave
is right (sorry, Lesley!) - this holiday no longer has anything to do
with the Catholic faith in most people's minds. It's about greeting
card companies, florists and chocolatiers.

--
Joyce ^..^

(Of course, if I ever again have a sweetie, maybe I won't be *quite* so
cynical... but I'll probably still be somewhat cynical - I mean, the pink
and red hearts are up in the store aisles the day after New Year's - 'nuff
said?)

Old February 15th 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message
It isn't much fun to be alone on this day, feeling like no one will ever
love me again (pity party). But I got a special and unexpected
Valentine's Day gift that I will treasure.

And it's a wonderful gift she left you. I'm sorry you lost Jane.

You need to remember, being by yourself isn't necessarily being "alone".
You have to like yourself before other people will like you. And having a
boyfriend or whatever isn't validation for who you are. I'm here in South
Caroline by myself, have been for a while now. But I'm not "alone". I
learned years ago how to like myself and live with (and by) myself. I don't
expect other people to validate my existance or even to approve of me.

You're loved. People on this ng love you. Your cats love you even if they
are causing you some stress lately.

Jill

Old February 15th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Feb 15, 3:02*am, wrote:
.. I'm afraid Lesley's Dave
is right (sorry, Lesley!) -

No worries- I agree it's a commercial rip off and I'll take him as he
is- warts and all (I know those warts so well) over a bunch of roses
(I don;t like roses) and a box of chocolates

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old February 16th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Jofirey wrote:
[...]

lol! What a risky thing to do to that poor 17-year-old. Hope she's got
a better head on her shoulders than the people around her.

Ginger-lyn
Old February 16th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Will in New Haven wrote:
On Feb 14, 2:59 pm, Ginger-lyn wrote:
It isn't much fun to be alone on this day, feeling like no one will ever
love me again (pity party).

Jackie, on "That Seventies Show," says that Valentines Day is the
holiest day of the year. But I don't take it quite that seriously. "No
romance" isn't the same as "no one loves you." You are loved and, who
knows, romance might be right around the corner. Now whether that's
good or bad is a different question. :-,)

Thank you, Will. I'm not sure I'm ready for romantic love again just
yet. But then, I am an incurable romantic, and love that line from
"Practical Magick" -- "Fall in love as often as you can."

[...]

I feel the same way, although there was always strain between my parents
and i. i have very few things they left me, but there are photos and
scrapbooks, and my father's slide rule, and each is a treasure to me.

--
Will in New Haven

Ginger-lyn
Old February 16th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

MatSav wrote:
Will in New Haven wrote:
Jackie, on "That Seventies Show," says that Valentines Day is
the
holiest day of the year.

Then Jackie's wrong. *SAINT* Valentine's Day isn't a feast of
obligation within the Holy Roman Catholic Church. Saint Valentine
is one of the minor saints.

Having said that, it does annoy me when people just call it
"Valentine's Day". After all, one doesn't refer to "Patrick's
Day", or "George's Day", or "Swithin's Day", does one?

I bet that happens mostly here in America. I think sometimes we are
just kinda lazy - heh.

Ginger-lyn
thinking there is the even worse "Happy V. D." Ugh.