Pros and Cons of Maine Coons

Old January 29th 05, 06:38 AM
Bruce Maguire

Default Pros and Cons of Maine Coons

I'm thinking of purchasing a Maine Coon and would appreciate any tips
on care, grooming, indoors vs outdoors, etc., as well as caveats. The
no.2 on my list is a Bengal, and so I would especially appreciate
comparisons between the two in terms of personality, habits, and the
like. For example, my impression is that the Maine Coon is not a
jumper like the Bengal.

Thanks
Bruce

Old January 29th 05, 07:01 AM
Sherry

I'm thinking of purchasing a Maine Coon and would appreciate any tips
on care, grooming, indoors vs outdoors, etc., as well as caveats. The
no.2 on my list is a Bengal, and so I would especially appreciate
comparisons between the two in terms of personality, habits, and the
like. For example, my impression is that the Maine Coon is not a
jumper like the Bengal.

Thanks
Bruce

Just my experience. Maine Coons aren't jumpers. The males are just big goofy
love sucks really. They're very laid back and tend to bond to one person in
particular. They are quiet, and don't meow much at all; they "trill" more. The
coat maintenance varies from cat to cat; one of my grandcats has particularly
oily fur and matts easily. The other one doesn't. But it's still not a big
deal. Daily brushing takes care of it just fine. They thrive as indoor cats. As
far as caveats, I really don't know any. They are delightful cats. I believe
there are issues concerning hip dysplacia (sp?) and PKD, probably other genetic
things common with that breed, you'd have to ask a breeder; I don't know much
about that.
Now. That said, and all pretentiousness aside, a "Maine Coon" is nothing more
than an extra-large jumbo sized furry cat with a bushy tail. Wanna-be Maine
Coons are in shelters everywhere.
Sherry
Old January 29th 05, 03:39 PM
Orchid

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:38:12 +1100, Bruce Maguire
wrote:

I'm thinking of purchasing a Maine Coon and would appreciate any tips
on care, grooming, indoors vs outdoors, etc., as well as caveats. The
no.2 on my list is a Bengal, and so I would especially appreciate
comparisons between the two in terms of personality, habits, and the
like. For example, my impression is that the Maine Coon is not a
jumper like the Bengal.

Heh. Bengals and Maine Coons are *entirely* different.

Personality :

Bengals are confident, affectionate cats. However, they are blurs of
energy and not lap cats until they have tired themselves out. Then
they want to crawl into your lap and cuddle, but not a moment before.

Maine Coons are love sacks. They are much more lap cattish than
Bengals.

Grooming:

Bengals have short, tight, plush single coats. They shed very little
(though they *do* shed) and don't require much more in the way of
grooming than a 'polishing' with a sisal glove occasionally. Bengals
have what are called 'pelted' coats, and they're totally different
from anything you have felt before.

Maine Coons have long, heavy, profuse double coats. They *must* be
brushed *and* combed at least every other day, preferably daily.
Since Maine Coons have the more normal double coat, they shed
undercoat pretty normally, which is what generally causes most
matting.

Ca

Bengals and Maine Coons need the same sort of dietary care --
high-quality cat food. Both do extremely well on a raw diet, or with
raw treats supplementing their food. Canned food is best. Bengals
tend to highly prefer running water to drink (and play in).

Health:

HCM has shown up in a few lines of Bengals, so any breeder you buy
from should test their cats (and have the printed results to show
you).

Maine Coons should be tested for PKD, HCM, and Feline Hip Dysplasia.
Again, breeders should have the printed test results.

Note that breeding cats should be tested yearly for HCM, as the test
is simply a colour doppler echocardiogram and thus gives a snapshot of
the cat's current state. If the results are more than two years old,
they're worthless.

Habits:

Bengals are the Border Collie of the cat world. Extremely
intelligent, extremely active, and *definitely* not for everyone.
They have enormous energy levels. Having a single Bengal is a Bad
Idea. They need the mental stimulation and energy sink of a friend --
either another Bengal, another high-energy breed (Aby, Siamese, etc),
or a high-energy moggy. There is no shelf a Bengal can't find a way
to -- a 16-week old Bengal can jump from the floor to the top of a
refrigerator. My Bengals can open baby locks, lever-style door
handles, and are mastering the round doorknob. They are into
everything, and must be part of what you are doing, whether that be
cleaning, making beds, doing laundry, or cooking. They are greedy,
food-motivated kitties, whcih makes clicker-training a Very Good Idea
for this breed.

Do a Google Groups Search for "Orchid Top Ten Bengal" and read my Top
Ten Reasons You Don't Want A Bengal. If you still want one, I highly
recommend joining the Yahoo Group 'Bengals-L' -- you'll be able to
hook up with many of the most responsible breeders working in the
breed today.

No matter which breed you decide on, read my 'Guide to Finding a
Responsible Breeder' -- the link is in my sig. Follow the directions.
There are a *lot* of BYBs producing both Bengals and Maine Coons, and
buying from a BYB is the ticket to getting a poor example of either
breed, in health, temperament, conformation, and everything else.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid
Old January 29th 05, 04:30 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Sherry " wrote in message
I'm thinking of purchasing a Maine Coon and would appreciate any tips
on care, grooming, indoors vs outdoors, etc., as well as caveats. The
no.2 on my list is a Bengal, and so I would especially appreciate
comparisons between the two in terms of personality, habits, and the
like. For example, my impression is that the Maine Coon is not a
jumper like the Bengal.

Thanks
Bruce

Just my experience. Maine Coons aren't jumpers.

In my limited experience (my parents' Maine Coon) I don't think they are
jumpers, either. Maybe because they're so big/long that they can reach a
lot by simply stretching? ;-)

snipped

Now. That said, and all pretentiousness aside, a "Maine Coon" is nothing

more
than an extra-large jumbo sized furry cat with a bushy tail. Wanna-be

Maine
Coons are in shelters everywhere.

I second this. My parents' cat may well have not been a purebred Maine
Coon - my father found him in their driveway, wandering around, when a tiny
kitten. Otoh, all of his physical characteristics certainly matched those
of a Maine Coon.

Cathy

Old January 29th 05, 08:36 PM
soft

wrote:

I'm thinking of purchasing a Maine Coon and would appreciate any tips
on care, grooming, indoors vs outdoors, etc., as well as caveats. The
no.2 on my list is a Bengal, and so I would especially appreciate
comparisons between the two in terms of personality, habits, and the
like. For example, my impression is that the Maine Coon is not a
jumper like the Bengal.

I have a Maine Coon that is just 1 year old. He is still kitty and
playful. He is very lovable and very smart. When I am watching tv and
he wants my attention he will grab my face with his paw and turn it to
him.

He does jump, contrary to what everyone said here. He keeps getting on
the tv and the highboy in the bedroom so I bought a tattle tale. He
saw me put it on the tv and has not jumped on it all week. He heard it
make noise when I put it there and thats all it took.

He prefers to lay next to me not on me. I groom him daily just because
he has so much hair. And he is a talker. He meows to me all the time
almost like were having a conversation. When I come home he greets me
at the door with meow meow...until I reach the bedroom & give him his
treat.

Karryl
Old January 30th 05, 02:58 AM
Sandy via CatKB.com

I had a Maine Coon for 15 years and he was the love of my life. Main Coons are not lap cats, but are so very affectionate. He was always with me and very devoted. I never had a problem with his long fur tangling. He became rather deaf at about 12 years of age. I noticed that he was not afraid of the vacuum cleaner any longer. But if I ever get to choose another cat(versus the cat choosing me), I'd get another Maine Coon in a minute.

Old January 30th 05, 03:31 PM
---MIKE---

I can't be certain of Tiger's lineage sine I got him at a shelter at age
4 months. He sure looks like a Maine Coon, He has very long hair,
extra hair at his feet and ears, a heavy clump of hair around his neck,
"pantaloons" , a long bushy tail, and he weighs over 20 pounds. He IS a
lap cat. He doesn't "follow" me around. What he does is try to
anticipate where I am going and get in front of me. Then he is liable
to hiss as I go around him. He is a love bug!

---MIKE---

Old January 30th 05, 04:59 PM
LauraM

My main coon isn't a jumper but he is oh so lovey! He trills and loves
to lay next to me (leaning on me that is). He's also an avid player.
He loves his toys and really likes a lot of attention. He gets along
really great with my other cat who is a completely different
personality. He is an orange type and has had a few teeth issues. I
have to clean his teeth regularly. If you've dreamed of a loving,
faithful, fuzzy cat, then a main coon is for you!

Old January 30th 05, 05:39 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Meghan Noecker at

wrote:

Maine Coons are love sacks. They are much more lap cattish than
Bengals.

I am so glad to hear this. I was told that they like to be around
peopel, but not on them. And therefore not a lap cat. This was from a
judge at a cat show.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography

I think larger cats are uncomfortable lap sitting. Once Grant got long (he
is a reeeeaaally long bodied cat) he will sit and lay against me all the
time, but when he tries to sit on my lap, he just can't get comfy and so
opts for laying next to me.

Old January 30th 05, 06:00 PM
Betsy

I had four Maine Coons for almost 21 years. When I got home, they vied to
be the first in my lap. Even when I sat on the toilet...