Thanks for the Advice about Maine Coons

Old February 2nd 05, 08:19 PM
Bruce Maguire

Default Thanks for the Advice about Maine Coons

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the advice in response to my questions about Bengals
and Maine Coons. I've decided on a Maine Coon, and am in the process
of selecting a breeder (and especial thanks to Orchid for the
excellent article on how to go about this).

Cheers
Bruce

Old February 2nd 05, 08:43 PM
Mary

"Bruce Maguire" wrote in message
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the advice in response to my questions about Bengals
and Maine Coons. I've decided on a Maine Coon, and am in the process
of selecting a breeder (and especial thanks to Orchid for the
excellent article on how to go about this).

I'd be happy for you if it weren't for all the beautiful cats at your local
shelter that will die because they have nobody to take care of them.
The best cat is the one that needs you the most.

Old February 2nd 05, 09:33 PM
---MIKE---

Bruce, Why don't you go to http://www.petfinder.com, enter your zip code
and select "breeds". You will find many Maine Coons at shelters near
you that need homes. You should not encourage breeders by buying from
them. There is no guarantee that you will get a healthy or friendly cat
from a breeder.

---MIKE---

Old February 2nd 05, 11:48 PM
Laura M

Good advice! I got my Main Coon from a shelter and I've always felt
that my kitty knows I saved him. He's the most lovable cat I've ever
encountered!

Old February 3rd 05, 12:08 AM
Mary

"Laura M" wrote in message
oups.com...
Good advice! I got my Main Coon from a shelter and I've always felt
that my kitty knows I saved him. He's the most lovable cat I've ever
encountered!

My Cheeky, too. She was in there for four months, and while I know
she was happy to be fed and housed, I have never seen a happier, more
grateful animal than she was when she walked out of the carrier
and into my office. She just strettttttttched and smiled!

Old February 3rd 05, 01:02 AM
Steve G

Laura M wrote:
Good advice! I got my Main Coon from a shelter and I've always felt
that my kitty knows I saved him. He's the most lovable cat I've ever
encountered!

Well, if you got him from a shelter, I doubt you'd know if he's a Maine
Coon. Mind you, appearance-wise, Maine Coons are basically just big
tabby cats - I suppose labelling 'em as Maine Coons at the shelter
helps to shift units. Indeed, IIRC my ex-shelter cat was labelled as a
Maine Coon mix. Then again, I thought he was so physically impressive
that you could've labelled him as a Swiss Cheese Plant and I would've
still adopted him.

I did wonder why he'd languished at the shelter for the several (5?)
months since he'd been rescued. The shelter staff also hedged a little
when I inquired as to his long-term non-adoption. This turned out to be
because he was Evil. Well, slightly evil anyway.

He mellowed though, and now spends most of his time sitting on my lap,
or reaching over the kitchen counter to flick any items in reach onto
the floor (last casualty: one dozen eggs).

I'm not sure what the point of this rambling is (well I do, I'm putting
off going to the gym). Something like 'you can take a cat to the
kitchen counter but you can't stop it breaking eggs', p'raps.

Incidentally, I tend to prefer the fluffy-moggy pseudo-Maine-Coons to
the real thing; there's often something about the face of the purebred
versions that I don't quite like. E.g., at
http://www.verismocat.com/htmscripts/lrgimg.htm, the bottommost cat
looks a bit funny in the muzzle to me.

On the flip side, I also have an aby, and I like their appearance and
personality. Wouldn't get a Maine Coon from a breeder, but I would get
(another) aby, if the muse struck.

Waffle waffle,
Steve.

Old February 3rd 05, 01:46 AM
Laura M

I noticed the ease in which this group labels their cats Main Coons so
I went ahead and joined the action. My cat is definitely part main
coon but he's got shorter legs which is from some other breed.
Actually, I think the shorter legs are much cuter, IMHO. But he's
a huge cat with the "M" on his forehead, long bushy tail and big body.
Just a lug. A cute lug at that!

Old February 3rd 05, 02:27 AM
Tracy

It's not really a question of "ease". Maine coon cats simply are the
American indigenous random-bred domestic long-hairs. The original CFA
description of a "certified" Maine Coon required owners to certify that
their cat was a long-haired cat whose parents were both long-haired
cats. Period. Those cats whose owners went through the process became
"official Maine Coons" and provided the breeding stock for all future
generations. Breeders have fooled around with breeding the cats for
increased size and other affectations, (including unfortunately hip
dysplasia and some heart problems from inbreeding) but there's really
almost no difference in the cats. The genetic material was widely
distributed through the cat population a hundred years ago.

Old February 3rd 05, 02:43 AM
Mary

"Tracy" wrote in message
ups.com...
It's not really a question of "ease". Maine coon cats simply are the
American indigenous random-bred domestic long-hairs. The original CFA
description of a "certified" Maine Coon required owners to certify that
their cat was a long-haired cat whose parents were both long-haired
cats. Period. Those cats whose owners went through the process became
"official Maine Coons" and provided the breeding stock for all future
generations. Breeders have fooled around with breeding the cats for
increased size and other affectations, (including unfortunately hip
dysplasia and some heart problems from inbreeding) but there's really
almost no difference in the cats. The genetic material was widely
distributed through the cat population a hundred years ago.

Tracy--could you include a snippet of the post to which you
are referring? That way we know who you are talking to.
Thanks.