New Baby/Cat Interaction

Old May 27th 05, 04:48 AM
123456789

Default New Baby/Cat Interaction

Hi all,

I'll be bringing my son home from the hospital tomorrow. Any tips for a new
dad on how the cats will react to the new baby and any tips on how to get
the cats used to our new family member?

Thanks/.

Old May 27th 05, 06:30 AM
Philip

123456789 wrote:
Hi all,

I'll be bringing my son home from the hospital tomorrow. Any tips
for a new dad on how the cats will react to the new baby and any tips
on how to get the cats used to our new family member?

Thanks/.

Don't leave the two in the same room unsupervised. Some animals immediately
feel displaced and will take a swat at an infant. Then there's the matter
of a baby's grip on a cat's tail. Don't let this happen. It's your fault
if/when the cat administers toddler training.

I have a short .mov file of an cat taking a few swats at an infant's head if
you care to see it. Funny because the cat got the message across to the
toddler and nobody got injured. Just need your email address. You need
Quicktime Player.

Old May 27th 05, 12:24 PM
KellyH

"123456789" wrote in message news:fMwle.893$zb.779@trndny06...
Hi all,

I'll be bringing my son home from the hospital tomorrow. Any tips for a
new dad on how the cats will react to the new baby and any tips on how to
get the cats used to our new family member?

Thanks/.

Bring home something from the hospital first that smells like the baby so
the cat can get used to his scent (not sure if you'll have time to do this).
Let the cat sniff him, but do not hold him in a way in which the cat could
swat.

--
-Kelly

Old May 28th 05, 12:52 AM
.oO rach Oo.

I just found out I am pregnant and was told to let my husband carry the baby
in so I can do the usual coming home activities with the cats (each gets a
pat on the head, spoken to and a belly rub) Since I would have been away for
a bit, they will likely be looking for my attention so if I am baby free
there is less chance of them being jealous.

--
..oO rach Oo.

Old May 28th 05, 12:23 PM

My friend has 5 cats and a 6 month old baby. The cats have completely
ignored the baby, apart from 2 occasions, one when a cat tried to get
her milk, and the same cat attempted to sleep in her carry cot (she
wasn't in it at the time). Having said that, the baby is starting to
realise that she's sharing her home with the cats so will be
interesting to see what develops. The cats now only have the run of
the kitchen/diner and outside garden so they're never alone with the
baby. They're not allowed in the rest of the house but this doesn't
seem to bother them.

Old May 28th 05, 01:54 PM
bigbadbarry

Philip wrote:

I have a short .mov file of an cat taking a few swats at an infant's head if
you care to see it. Funny because the cat got the message across to the
toddler and nobody got injured. Just need your email address. You need
Quicktime Player.

Can you just put the .mov file on your server and post the link here?

Old May 28th 05, 01:57 PM
bigbadbarry

Philip wrote:

I have a short .mov file of an cat taking a few swats at an infant's head if
you care to see it. Funny because the cat got the message across to the
toddler and nobody got injured. Just need your email address. You need
Quicktime Player.

I meant to say...please...

depending on your servers behavoir, you can just drop it in a directory
of choice..and any external link to it...will call it up.

:-)

Old May 28th 05, 07:48 PM
Philip

bigbadbarry wrote:
Philip wrote:

I have a short .mov file of an cat taking a few swats at an infant's
head if you care to see it. Funny because the cat got the message
across to the toddler and nobody got injured. Just need your email
address. You need Quicktime Player.

Can you just put the .mov file on your server and post the link here?

Nope. I looked into this hosted website and domain name stuff earlier this
year. With my ISP it's $20 a month for earthlink to host a website from
which I could maintain a library for anyone to download files from. I can't
justify that expense. I you want the file, I'll send it to you. It's funny
as all get out!

Old May 28th 05, 08:48 PM
Philip

bigbadbarry wrote:
Philip wrote:

I have a short .mov file of an cat taking a few swats at an infant's
head if you care to see it. Funny because the cat got the message
across to the toddler and nobody got injured. Just need your email
address. You need Quicktime Player.

I meant to say...please...

depending on your servers behavoir, you can just drop it in a
directory
of choice..and any external link to it...will call it up.

:-)

I have NO idea what you're talking about. My son set up this new computer
last November with an external fire wall and self updating antivirus and
anti spy ware software that runs automatically. I'm a very high end
computer user! LOL

Old May 29th 05, 12:21 AM
Dan and Nancy Mahoney

Nope. I looked into this hosted website and domain name stuff earlier this
year. With my ISP it's $20 a month for earthlink to host a website from
which I could maintain a library for anyone to download files from. I can't
justify that expense. I you want the file, I'll send it to you. It's funny
as all get out!

Send it to me (dan at wolf dot com) and I'll put it on my server.

Dan