kitten not eating enough

Old June 6th 04, 04:00 AM
MadHatter

Default kitten not eating enough

i fear that m little one is not eating well. she is 7 weeks old and
when i brought her she was eating like she's never seen food before.
she also used to drink milk. i switched milk to water and i change
water every day, but i am not sure that she drinks it, at least i never
seen her drink. she also stopped eating as much as she used to. she is
very cuddly and friendly and playful, at least she used to be playful.
now she mostly likes to nap with me, or on my lap. i dont' think she
eats enough! she is always curious about human food and ate a few
pieces of pasta before i could stop her a few days ago, but she would
come up to her bowls, look at them, sniff, meow, nibble a little and
leave. i am sure she eats when i am not looking, but the food is not
disappearing as fast as it used to. i dont' think she moves as much as
a little kitten should. she mostly prefers to nap. perhaps we are not
playing enough with her. she may be lonely. she was dewormed, i was
told, at 6 weeks, so she should be fine. i am really worried.

-L
Old June 6th 04, 08:17 AM
Mary

"MadHatter" wrote:

i am really worried.

Vet. Right? Bet you knew that.

Old June 6th 04, 08:17 AM
Mary

"MadHatter" wrote:

i am really worried.

Vet. Right? Bet you knew that.

Old June 6th 04, 03:18 PM
Wendy

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Sat, 05 Jun 2004 23:00:53 -0400, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
MadHatter ) said,
[...]

I think it's time to call the veterinarian.

Laura
--

What Laura said.

Take a stool sample. Just because they've been wormed doesn't mean that they
don't still have worms. You can have her checked for eat mites and a general
going over. While you're there you can discuss the schedule for her shots.
Even if she had her first shots when she was dewormed she'll need boosters
and I don't think they give the rabies shot until they are older than 6 wks
so she'll need that eventually too. If she hasn't been FIV/FeLV tested you
can discuss having that done. You can also find out how soon you're vet
feels comfortable neutering her. So see even if there is absolutely nothing
wrong with her other than being very young to be away from Mom and her
litter mates it's not a wasted vet trip. I always take my new additions to
the vet within a week or so of them coming home just to get acquainted and
refresh my memory about the shot schedule.

Good luck with you're new kitty.

Old June 7th 04, 12:12 AM
MadHatter

"Wendy" wrote in message ...
"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

thanks everyone. i will take her to the vet next week. she is also
acting rather strange: she wants to be carried and held all the time!
when we are walking around she follows us, meows and won't stop until
we pick her up, or until we sit and keep her on our lap. i've never
seen a kitten do that. perhaps she is lonely, since she is the only
kitten we have, but when we are around, she not only wants to be with
us, but wants to be held ALL the time! i was making breakfast today
with her on my shoulder because i just couldn't bear her pitiful
cries, she sounded so sad.

-L

Old June 7th 04, 04:02 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , MadHatter at
wrote on 6/6/04 6:12 PM:

"Wendy" wrote in message
"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Kittens crash FAST. I would call the vet TOMORROW or your kitten could
really be in trouble.

Old June 7th 04, 10:57 PM
~*Connie*~

I totally agree with everyones advice (aka get the cat to a vet), but I
would also like to add there are kitten foods that kittens refuse to eat,
Iams for one, science diet for another.. I have fostered over 100 kittens,
and I haven't found one that likes either one of them. Try a few different
brands to see if something else temps her, or even offer human food fit for
cats It is more important for kittens to be eating, than what exactly they
are eating when there is an issue like this. Once you find out why they
aren't eating, then try to find a way to get them on a good quality kitten
food.

Good luck