15-y/o male cat with bowel issues & occasional vomiting

Old April 1st 15, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BoonevillePhil

Default 15-y/o male cat with bowel issues & occasional vomiting

We have a jet black male 15 y/o cat that has occasional bouts of vomiting & diarrhea. He has lost some weight but not enough to be a concern, his coat is glossy, & he hasn't been lethargic. He yowls more, especially when deciding to go to the litterbox. But he purrs when we cuddle with him & appears to be generally content. He scoots on the carpet often after visiting the litterbox, too, & has left droppings as he dashes out of the litter box sometimes. He's always had a "nervous stomach" all his life (he can be pretty spastic) & has a tendency to eat mouthfuls of food rather than a small bites. He's always afraid he'll be run off from his food bowl by our "alpha cat". He'll go a few weeks without vomiting or diarrhea, but then it will start up for several days. His eyes are alert & he doesn't display any signs of discomfort or pain other than the occasional yowl as he goes into the litterbox. His appetite has never been voracious but he eats regularly (when he doesn't get nudged out from the other cat). He's got some Siamese but do not know of any other breed. We're not sure if we should take him to a vet or just change his food. Any thoughts?
Old April 1st 15, 01:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 3/31/2015 7:14 PM, BoonevillePhil wrote:
We have a jet black male 15 y/o cat that has occasional bouts of vomiting & diarrhea.

.............Trip to the vet? I'd start with a wormer.

buglady
take out the dog before replying
Old April 1st 15, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BoonevillePhil

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 8:04:00 AM UTC-4, buglady wrote:
On 3/31/2015 7:14 PM, BoonevillePhil wrote:
We have a jet black male 15 y/o cat that has occasional bouts of vomiting & diarrhea.

............Trip to the vet? I'd start with a wormer.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

I had thought of that, but his appetite seem not to be affected nor is there any apparent pain/swelling of the abdomen. I was even wondering if we're looking at IBD...
Old April 1st 15, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 05:36:24 -0700 (PDT), BoonevillePhil
wrote:

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 8:04:00 AM UTC-4, buglady wrote:
On 3/31/2015 7:14 PM, BoonevillePhil wrote:
We have a jet black male 15 y/o cat that has occasional bouts of vomiting & diarrhea.

............Trip to the vet? I'd start with a wormer.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

I had thought of that, but his appetite seem not to be affected nor is there any apparent pain/swelling of the abdomen. I was even wondering if we're looking at IBD...

Then it's vet. There are too many possibles with a 15 yo cat.
Old April 1st 15, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 4/1/2015 8:36 AM, BoonevillePhil wrote:

I had thought of that, but his appetite seem not to be affected nor is there any apparent

pain/swelling of the abdomen. I was even wondering if we're looking
at IBD...

.............There wouldn't be pain with parasites I don't think. A
general wormer (which might not do tapes) is cheaper than a stool analysis!

..........My hope is that the vet would worm, and then would probably
prescribe antibiotic to start. Then take the next step if it's needed.
Personally I think a full blood panel is good if you haven't done it
in a while.

........And the other person is right, could be about anything.