New cat

Old June 28th 05, 09:35 PM

Default New cat

We finally got rid of Nika's fungus and have just brought a new kitten into
the house. Our vet (who gave us the cat and a great deal on the eventual
neuter operation) told us that with two cats we won't need cable. You can
just watch them.
So far all that's happening is the kitten won't come out of the traveling
case (we have food, water and litter in there for him). Nika hisses at him
when he thinks about it, and she's bigger than he is (but not for long, I'm
afraid). I think they'll be playing in a few days though. The hostility is
very mild compared to what I've seen in other cats.
We haven't named the male yet. We were considering Caruso (Nika is from a
music person as well) because he was so loud on the way home from the vet,
but he hasn't made a sound since.
Fascinating.

Old June 28th 05, 10:04 PM
Alison

wrote in message
[...]

It would be best to put the kitten in its own room or seperate him
from Nika. It must be overwhelming for him to be in strange place and
have a hostile cat hissing at him and Nika must wonder who this
stranger intruding on her territory is.
Alison

Old June 28th 05, 10:32 PM

We finally got rid of Nika's fungus and have just brought a new kitten into
the house. Our vet (who gave us the cat and a great deal on the eventual
neuter operation) told us that with two cats we won't need cable. You can
just watch them.
So far all that's happening is the kitten won't come out of the traveling
case (we have food, water and litter in there for him). Nika hisses at him
when he thinks about it, and she's bigger than he is (but not for long, I'm
afraid). I think they'll be playing in a few days though. The hostility is
very mild compared to what I've seen in other cats.
We haven't named the male yet. We were considering Caruso (Nika is from a
music person as well) because he was so loud on the way home from the vet,
but he hasn't made a sound since.
Fascinating.

They're often loud on car trips, only to become quiet once they realize
the trip is over!

If the kitten won't come out of the carrier, he's most likely feeling
insecure - anxious about his new environment. He may venture out soon,
but since Nikka is hissing at him, it may be advantageous to give the
kitten a place of his own, w/ all of the needed creature comforts - &
frequent visits by his humans - for a few days (maybe even a couple of
weeks, depending on how things progress)at first. The bathroom (with
the toilet lid kept down & nothing dangerous in the waste basket), a
spare bedroom, where ever...

Cathy

Old June 28th 05, 11:24 PM
Cheryl

On Tue 28 Jun 2005 04:35:55p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

We finally got rid of Nika's fungus and have just brought a new
kitten into the house.

Congrats! On both accounts. Ringworm, if that is what the fungus
was, can be soooo hard to get rid of. For a friend of mine who
adopted 2 kittens who were infected, it literally took MONTHS
because they kept spreading it back and forth to each other, even
with all the precautions.

Our vet (who gave us the cat and a great
deal on the eventual neuter operation) told us that with two
cats we won't need cable. You can just watch them.

True! LOL

So far all that's happening is the kitten won't come out of the
traveling case (we have food, water and litter in there for
him). Nika hisses at him when he thinks about it, and she's
bigger than he is (but not for long, I'm afraid). I think
they'll be playing in a few days though. The hostility is very
mild compared to what I've seen in other cats. We haven't named
the male yet. We were considering Caruso (Nika is from a music
person as well) because he was so loud on the way home from the
vet, but he hasn't made a sound since.
Fascinating.

I adopted 2 kittens last November, and they were sequestered for
the first month in their own room, and even after they came out to
play with my other two, they spent the day while I was at work in
"their" room. I think having so much new space and a new kitty or
two, who may resent his presence at first, is just too
intimidating. What I did was put up a screen door on the "kitten
room" so everyone could see each other if they wanted, but couldn't
get too close. Even this was done weeks after the kittens' arrival.
Just give it a little time and it sounds like they'll be buds
before you know it.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old June 29th 05, 05:59 AM

I've watched them interact all day now. They'll be fine. Caruso (the new
male kitten) isn't really scared of Nika, and Nika apparently has no
intention of hurting Caruso.
It makes sense. We looked for friendly laid back cats, and we appear to be
getting what we asked for.

Nika's a year old; Caruso is about 5-6 weeks (according to the vet). I'd
forgotten how potent the odor of kitten poop is. OUCH.

Old June 29th 05, 03:27 PM
Lesley

I'd
forgotten how potent the odor of kitten poop is. OUCH.

Don't remind me!!!!! How does something so small produce that much
smell?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old June 30th 05, 07:16 AM

Watching two cats get acquainted is very interesting, I must say. They have
been together for two days now, and they are beginning to chase each other
(well, Nika chases Caruso (the kitten) mostly), but Nika still will not
allow Caruso any contact with her.
I know they are progressing faster than some cats would be and I'm happy. It
is very amusing, to say the least.
I think it was T. S. Elliot who claimed he had learned a great deal about
human nature by owning two cats.
I'll be interested to see if the male (Caruso) interacts with my wife and I
the same way or if there is any gender based behavior, as there clearly is
with Nika who is female.

Peace.

Old July 1st 05, 01:20 AM
Cheryl

On Thu 30 Jun 2005 02:16:52a, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Watching two cats get acquainted is very interesting, I must
say. They have been together for two days now, and they are
beginning to chase each other (well, Nika chases Caruso (the
kitten) mostly), but Nika still will not allow Caruso any
contact with her.

Of course not; it's beneath her to frolic with the baby. LOL

I know they are progressing faster than some
cats would be and I'm happy. It is very amusing, to say the
least. I think it was T. S. Elliot who claimed he had learned a
great deal about human nature by owning two cats.
I'll be interested to see if the male (Caruso) interacts with my
wife and I the same way or if there is any gender based
behavior, as there clearly is with Nika who is female.

I have a mixed bunch - 2 males, 2 females - and at least here,
there doesn't seem to be a difference in how affectionate they are,
although before these 2 females I've always had male cats, and any
female cat I knew seemed more aloof. With these 4, they're all very
affectionate. Sounds like you're making progress!

Old July 1st 05, 05:32 AM

Of course not; it's beneath her to frolic with the baby. LOL

That's exactly what it looks like.
The problem is compounded by the fact that Caruso (the baby) can't
concentrate on anything long enough to get any real play with Nika started.
She'll initiate some kind of play and the baby will wander off to chew on
the phone book. Nika then walks off in a huff, to put it in human terms.