Autopsy Results

Old September 20th 03, 02:58 AM
KS

Default Autopsy Results

I finally got the autopsy results tonight. Spook didn't have a chance.

Her heart was okay, but she had "high grade" lymphosarcoma of spleen and liver.
Spleen rupture isn't common, and probably did because it grew very fast. And
it's possible she died in her sleep, no one of knowing.

I asked the vet to give me a scenario, if I'd brought her in the week before.
Until she would have been fully diagnosed with ultrasound, it probably would
have been too late. And IF they'd caught it and removed the spleen, they
couldn't have started chemo till she recovered. And with the cancer in the
liver, they would have had to do high doses of chemo, which would have made her
sick. At most, she would have had six lousy months, but most likely, less time.

So the way she went was the best for Spook, altho I still wish I had had a short
time to have told her one last time how much I love her and how much she meant
to me.

My beautiful sweetheart, I know I gave you a good home and lots of love, but I'm
so sorry that life can be so unfair, and that I couldn't protect you from it.

But I'm glad, my 5-1/2 year old kitten, that you knew how to enjoy your life to
the fullest.

Kami

P.S. How ironic that this is the one year anniversary of my retirement,
which was one of the happiest days of my life.

--
emayl me at furpods at mindspring dot com
Old September 20th 03, 04:29 PM
Stinky

Kami:

Spook *did* know how much you loved her because you told her many, many
times! Each time you held her; strocked her, petted, kissed,etc. Spook got
your love and more.

Please don't be too hard on yourself. As you say, Spook went the way that
was best for her. How luck she was and to live and love and be loved by you
before that time.

MMS'ing ana purrz fur Spook

Old September 20th 03, 08:01 PM
KS

Unca Cory wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:58:10 GMT, KS said...
I finally got the autopsy results tonight. Spook didn't have a chance.

Her heart was okay, but she had "high grade" lymphosarcoma of spleen and liver.
Spleen rupture isn't common, and probably did because it grew very fast. And
it's possible she died in her sleep, no one of knowing.

I asked the vet to give me a scenario, if I'd brought her in the week before.
Until she would have been fully diagnosed with ultrasound, it probably would
have been too late.

TEDs (both human and animal alike) aren't known for running tests willy-
nilly, either, so Spook would have had to present with symptoms *first*
for TED to even *consider* doing an ultrasound. From what you told us
about her last few weeks (God, it's really strange to type that about
Spook, of all kitties), she'd been fine the whole time she'd been sick
(and don't drive yourself crazy, Kami, by going back in time in your mind
and going over things that you think you may have "missed", because all
it's going to do is... well, nothing, really.). By then, IMHO, it
*certainly* would have been too late to do anything worthwhile.

I know that now. At midnight before, she seemed fine. I never heard a sound.
When I found her, she was lying on her side. I hope she passed in her sleep.

snip

So the way she went was the best for Spook, altho I still wish I had had a short
time to have told her one last time how much I love her and how much she meant
to me.

I think she knew. Those few minutes you spent together the night before
her trip to the Bridge may have been her way of saying goodbye and "thank
you" to you, for all we know, for taking such good care of her. Another
way to look at it is that she wanted to spend part of her last night in
some quiet solitude with the person who meant the most to her.

Yeah.

Kami

--
emayl me at furpods at mindspring dot com
Old September 20th 03, 08:02 PM
KS

Stinky wrote:

Kami:

Spook *did* know how much you loved her because you told her many, many
times! Each time you held her; strocked her, petted, kissed,etc. Spook got
your love and more.

Please don't be too hard on yourself. As you say, Spook went the way that
was best for her. How luck she was and to live and love and be loved by you
before that time.

MMS'ing ana purrz fur Spook

Thank you, for the words and the purrrrz.

Kami

--
emayl me at furpods at mindspring dot com
Old September 20th 03, 09:28 PM
Fred Williams

KS wrote:

At midnight before, she seemed fine. I never
heard a sound.
When I found her, she was lying on her side. I hope she passed in
her sleep.

If you never heard a sound, it pretty safe to assume she went in her
sleep. It seems consistant with the cause as well. That's how I
would expect it to happen. She wouldn't feel any pain, but she'd get
very tired and want to sleep, as near as I can tell.
It's probably harder for us left behind who miss her. My thoughts
and prayers are still with you.

--
Regards
Fred

Remove FFFf to reply, please
Old September 21st 03, 10:57 PM
ChildFree23

Oh, Auntie Kami, we'ze so sorry to hear this. We'ze can only hope that
Spook wented to The Bridge in her sleep and didn't feel a thing.

Kitty Schottland DOC, Capt. Midnight DOC, & Lilith Kitten

--
Want to get in touch with me? Put the "balls" into a "net."

Old September 22nd 03, 01:49 AM
Arlene Knop

Kami, I think Spook knew what to do and took her leave the best way.
She is not gone. She is right there with you in spirit and hearing all
that you are saying and feeling all your love. I believe animals have
souls and are better at directing their journeys than we are.

Arlene

Old September 22nd 03, 04:25 AM
KS

Oh, Auntie Kami, we'ze so sorry to hear this. We'ze can only hope that
Spook wented to The Bridge in her sleep and didn't feel a thing.

Kitty Schottland DOC, Capt. Midnight DOC, & Lilith Kitten

I hope she did, too. Thanks.

Kami

--
email: furpods at mindspring dot com
Old September 22nd 03, 04:28 AM
KS

Kami, I think Spook knew what to do and took her leave the best way.
She is not gone. She is right there with you in spirit and hearing all
that you are saying and feeling all your love. I believe animals have
souls and are better at directing their journeys than we are.

Arlene

Thanks, but I don't think she could have known anything was so seriously wrong.
I was told the end, when her spleen bleeded into her stomach, probably happened
very quickly. She had no choice to make. But the choice was taken from me,
because if we had caught this, with the prognosis, I would have had to have put
her down. While I'm very angry that she was taken from me, I'm glad that I
didn't have to make that choice.

Kami

--
email: furpods at mindspring dot com
Old September 22nd 03, 03:51 PM
KS

Beverly Orel wrote:

I suspected something of this sort. In a way, it's comforting because you
can finally finally stop berating yourself with "if only I had....noticed,
done, taken her to TED earlier, etc." and start healing that hurty heart.
Poor Spook, As you said, she really didn't have a chance. sigh

Beverly

That's it. Now I'm dealing with the sadness, pain, anger, anxiety, all of it,
missing her so much.

Kami

--
email: furpods at mindspring dot com