Death Therapy

Old October 13th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Tom+Gracie+Jenny

Default Death Therapy

We have the two calicos, Gracie and Jenny, sisters from the same
litter, two and a half years old.

We did, rather. Today, Jenny passed away. I found her lying there,
did artificial respiration, rushed her to a vet who pronounced her
dead, probably of a heart attack.

Before we did the cremation route, I brought the body home. My wife
spent time cuddling her, and suggested something ... her idea was to
have Gracie see the body, sniff it, investigate it.

Gracie did indeed investigate. Probably recognized the death smell, -
and- the Jenny smell, and put two and two together. She seems to
know, Jenny is passed on. . . . After a while, Gracie went across the
room, and sat and watched us for a while.

I've brought the body to be cremated, and am back home.

After that, Gracie has been staying close to us. Sitting next to me
while I am at the computer. Lying next to my wife as she took a nap.

The question is:

.... What do you all do with a cat who has lost her companion?

We had the two of them so they could play together. They've never
been separated. Now Gracie will have the whole house to roam around
in by herself.

My wife is talking of getting another two and a half year old,
definately not a kitten.

Me, I don't know. Please let me know your thoughts. All three of us
seem to miss Jenny terribly already.

Tom
Old November 10th 08, 08:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
aksumabys

On Oct 13, 3:56*pm, "Tom+Gracie+Jenny" wrote:
[...]

Take this at your own pace. It is a very personal journey. Talk to
your wife about when you both would feel comfortable about getting
another cat. Then consider looking at your local shelters for one, or
possibly a retired purebred, since you are more interested in an adult
cat.
http://www.petfinder.com
http://www.breedlist.com/retired/index.html

As for the introductory process, the best advice I have seen on that
is on the Abyssinian rescue site, but applies to any breed.
http://www.abyssinian-rescue.com/advice.htm

Condolences and Best Wishes for your new cat.
-Susan
http://aksumabyssinians.com