Need advice, quickly, on partial removal of lower jaw

Old November 6th 03, 05:16 PM
Dan Mahoney

Default Need advice, quickly, on partial removal of lower jaw

So: has anyone had experience with partial resection of the mandible,
and if so, how was the cat's quaility of life afterwards?

I will have to make up my mind VERY quickly, if the biopsy comes
back positive.

Thanks in advance.

No direct experience with the issue, but here's my two cents worth
anyway - even if the result turned out less than optimal, kitty would
stand a pretty good chance of making the required adjustment and living
a happy life. I've been amazed at the kind of adjustments cats can make,
and still be content with their lot in life.

Dan

Old November 6th 03, 05:38 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Not experience of that particular op, but I do have a one-eyed cat. She had to
have an eye removed following an altercation with a motor vehicle. I have to
say that immediately post-op, she looked like something from a horror film -
half-shaved head with huge stitches where the eye was. Still - once the
stitches were out and her fur grew back, the lack of one eye bothers her not a
jot. She still goes out into the garden and hunts small rodents extremely
successfully (today's count two shrews and a vole...). Before the op - she was
a miserable cat as her eye was giveing her pain - even though vet & I
desparately tried to savew the eye. Post op and minus the damaged eye she
quickly returned to being the happy cat she had been, full of life.

Basically I think what I'm trying to say is that your cat losing part of his
jaw may well be more upsetting to you than to the cat, if you see what I mean.

Best wishes to you and the cat.

helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old November 6th 03, 05:56 PM
Cary Kittrell

The biopsy just came back -- and it's NEGATIVE!

Sorry to have jumped the gun so, but if it had come back positive,
I would have had to decide *right*now* -- typical survival after
diagnosis is two months with this type of tumor.

I want to thank those who have replied so far -- and those
who I know will still want to. I've had such long discussions
on this, often enough in tears, that I'm still quite interested
in hearing the experiences of anyone who has faced this, and
opted for the resection.

Thanks again.

-- cary

Old November 6th 03, 06:28 PM
Mary

"Cary Kittrell" wrote in message

The biopsy just came back -- and it's NEGATIVE!

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Give kitty a big kiss and scritch for
me!
I'm so happy for you.