Can diagnosed withy renal failure

Old December 2nd 08, 10:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default Cat diagnosed with renal failure

"Angela" wrote in message
om...

"Phil P." wrote in message
| I don't think treating a UTI will have a major effect of his appetite.

In
| fact the antibiotics may actually worsen his appetite. The nitrogenous
waste
| products-especially urea- from protein catabolism build up in the blood

in
| cats with CRF- that's what causes the BUN (blood urea nitrogen) to rise.
| These waste products can make a cat feel queasy and not want to eat.
Kinda
| like how we feel when we have an upset stomach. Speak to your vet about
| Pepcid AC (regular strength)- about 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet every other

day.
| Pepcid has helped improve the appetite of a lot of cats with CRF. You
might
| also want to speak to your vet about adding 1/4 of a 4 mg tablet of
| Cyproheptadine (Periactin) every other day- this might help jump-start

his

1
| capsule a day.
|
| I think you should start looking for a new vet- one who has a little

more
| experience treating cats with CRF, while your cat is still relatively
| healthy. A "nice vet" isn't necessarily a "good vet".
|
| Best of luck,
|
| Phil

She's not suggesting that the UTI will make things better, that's my hopes
but while he has an infection she cannot be sure how much the proteing in
his urine is caused by his kidneys and how much is in fact the infection,
that's why she wants another test when the course of antibiotics is
complete. She wants an accurate picture before deciding on future
management.

Angela

OK- That sounds more reasonable. However, I still think you should at least
discuss a course of Pepcid AC with your vet. I'm sure it will improve your
cat's appetite and make him feel a lot better.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old December 7th 08, 11:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Angela[_2_]

"Phil P." wrote in message

| She's not suggesting that the UTI will make things better, that's my
hopes
| but while he has an infection she cannot be sure how much the proteing
in
| his urine is caused by his kidneys and how much is in fact the
infection,
| that's why she wants another test when the course of antibiotics is
| complete. She wants an accurate picture before deciding on future
| management.
|
| Angela
|

| OK- That sounds more reasonable. However, I still think you should at
least
| discuss a course of Pepcid AC with your vet. I'm sure it will improve
your
| cat's appetite and make him feel a lot better.
|
| Best of luck,
|
| Phil

Well he has finished his course of antibiotics and he is a completely
different cat. He's eating, though his regular food has to be mixed with
chicken to get him interested, but he has put back some of the weight he
lost. He's not completely back to normal, still sleeping a lot, but he's a
lot perkier than he was, even playing with the kitten a little.

I have to try and get another urine specemin from him tomorrow. Hopefully
that will give a better picture.

Angela

Old December 8th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Angela" wrote in message
om...

Well he has finished his course of antibiotics and he is a completely
different cat. He's eating, though his regular food has to be mixed with
chicken to get him interested, but he has put back some of the weight he
lost. He's not completely back to normal, still sleeping a lot, but he's

lot perkier than he was, even playing with the kitten a little.

I have to try and get another urine specemin from him tomorrow. Hopefully
that will give a better picture.

Angela

Thanks for the update. I'm glad he's eating and feeling better.
Unfortunately, cats with CRF produce a dilute urine which makes them much
more susceptible to UTIs than cats with a normal USG.

You should still speak to your vet about monitoring his blood pressure.
Nothing speeds up the progression of CRF faster than systemic and/or
intrarenal hypertension. Hypertension can come on very quickly in cats with
CRF. So, you should keep a very close watch on his BP.

You might also want to speak to your vet about a low-dose (2 mEq/day)
potassium supplement. Even if your cat's serum potassium levels are in the
normal range potassium depletion (from tissue) can still be occurring. Cats
with CRF produce urine more rapidly than normal cats. Rapid urine production
promotes potassium excretion- which can also speed up the progression. You
want to keep his serum K+ in the upper half of the normal range.

Best of luck,

Phil