First TED visit for the boys

Old January 24th 05, 08:06 PM
Gabey8

Default First TED visit for the boys

Captain and Stanley know what cat carriers are. And they got an "Oh, no,
not again" expression on their faces when they were coaxed inside. I think
in their experience, going into a carrier means coming out somewhere
unknown and never seeing the previous place again. (They're shelter
kitties.)

So I told them, "This is something new. We'll go see the vet, and then
we'll come home". They didn't look like they believed that, but off we
went to the vet anyway.

Once we got there, they purred all over the vet tech and the vet. )
Stanley thought that his chart was something to curl up on, so he did.
That made life interesting for the vet, who was trying to actually write
down some information. Not to be outdone, when it was Captain's turn, he
thought the vet was scratching that pen on the paper in order to coax him
to bat it around, so he tried.

I'm to continue with the vaporizer, with the vet tech and vet thought was
a GREAT idea (thank you guys, I got the idea here). For now, we're not
giving meds, but there's a note in Stanley's chart that they can have
liquid Clavamox if the symptoms don't improve on their own.

Because of the sneezing, the vet decided to wait on the rabies shot until
early March. I'm to bring them back for a followup then, and get their
rabies vaccination.

Also, Captain's gums are inflamed and his lymph nodes are a little
enlarged. This could be from the URI he's fighting off, or it could be
something else (a bacterial infection that I can't remember the name of).
If the gums don't show improvement, I'm to bring him back so they can
check to make sure it's not that sort of infection. If it IS that, there's
a specific antibiotic for it that he'll have to take for 6 weeks.

Other than that, the boys are eating, drinking, playing, purring, sleeping
and using the litterboxes pretty much normally.

I'd appreciate some purrs that the boys' URI symptoms, plus Captain's
other inflammation symptoms, all go away. Because other than those things,
the vet visit went well.

Everyone at the vet's office loved the boys. ) And they remember me from
the days of Melody and Harmony (both RB) coming in there, so they are glad
to see me with cats again.

Oh, and speaking of RB. Please purr for the lady and man who were exiting
just as we were getting our bill rung up. The receptionist told them, "I'm
sorry for your loss" as they left. I looked up and noticed that the woman
was crying quietly. Their kitty must have gone to the RB. ( So please
join in sending them purrs and purr-ayers that the kitty's journey is
peaceful, and that the lady and man are comforted. I felt such a pang in
my heart to see them, and know what it's like to have to say goodbye. I've
been in their shoes. I hope that they're able to be in my shoes before
long, and give a home to a new kitty who needs one.

Speaking of new kitties. Both of them are napping in the living room.
They've had a busy day.

Donna, Captain (snorrrrre) and Stanley (zzzzzz)

Old January 24th 05, 08:25 PM
Katz

Good boys! They were nice for TED, huh? And not upset. Hope all the
various health problems clear up soon. I adopted 3 unrelated adults all
at the same time, & was giving meds to everybody for a while. It's all
a distant memory now. )

Katz

Old January 24th 05, 10:24 PM
Mischief

Awwww, every vet tech just loooooves little kittens!!
Purrs that their URI gets better!

Kristi

Old January 25th 05, 01:18 AM
Tanada

Gabey8 wrote:

Oh, and speaking of RB. Please purr for the lady and man who were exiting
just as we were getting our bill rung up. The receptionist told them, "I'm
sorry for your loss" as they left. I looked up and noticed that the woman
was crying quietly. Their kitty must have gone to the RB. ( So please
join in sending them purrs and purr-ayers that the kitty's journey is
peaceful, and that the lady and man are comforted. I felt such a pang in
my heart to see them, and know what it's like to have to say goodbye. I've
been in their shoes. I hope that they're able to be in my shoes before
long, and give a home to a new kitty who needs one.

Glad to read that TED doesn't seem to think their colbs are too serious.
Also glad that they had fun at TED's house. Mine think the carrier
is torture, even when they actually enjoy the place that we haul them to.

Purrs and sympathy for the couple who lost their kitty. It is never
easy, no matter how expected the event may be.

Pam, Rob, and the Fayetteville Five + Calvin & Sonya, & Speedy the d-thing
Old January 25th 05, 01:33 AM
Melissa Houle

Gabey8 gabey8-@-aol-dot-com (formerly dgabriel-at-netaxs-dot-com) wrote in
message lkaboutpets.com...
[...]

Hope all symptoms and ailments clear up soon, Donna. The boys sound like
they made their mark with the Vet. =o) LOL about curling up on the chart,
and swatting at the Vet's pen. Nina thinks every pen is a toy. I have to
put her on the floor repeatedly whenever I pay bills, or my signature can
end up looking very weird!

Purrs to that poor couple. I hope their beloved companion had a gentle trip
over the Bridge. When I went to pick up Nina after her spaying, I
happened to look into one of the examining rooms, and saw that a big gray
cat was making his or her passage over the Rainbow Bridge, too, and their
hoomin was standing there stroking the cat, looking very sad. It brought
back sad memories of saying goodbye to Izzy in that same examination room
less than a year ago. I was very glad to see Nina come out of the back,
looking bright-eyed, very well, and eager to see me, too! Fortunately, her
spaying incision seems to have healed up with no problems.

Melissa

Old January 25th 05, 03:27 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 24 Jan 2005 02:06:11p, Gabey8 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
alkaboutpets.com)
:

[...]

Once we got there, they purred all over the vet tech and the
vet. ) Stanley thought that his chart was something to curl up
on, so he did. That made life interesting for the vet, who was
trying to actually write down some information. Not to be
outdone, when it was Captain's turn, he thought the vet was
scratching that pen on the paper in order to coax him to bat it
around, so he tried.

Oooo! You're very lucky to have kitties that don't mind the vet!

I'm to continue with the vaporizer, with the vet tech and vet
thought was a GREAT idea (thank you guys, I got the idea here).
For now, we're not giving meds, but there's a note in Stanley's
chart that they can have liquid Clavamox if the symptoms don't
improve on their own.

L-lysine is a helpful, non-hurtful thing to supplement with, 250mg
2x per day in food. It keeps the feline herpes virus from
reproducing. 3 of my kitties so far have been very helped by it.
Feline herpes is very common, and stress induced.

Because of the sneezing, the vet decided to wait on the rabies
shot until early March. I'm to bring them back for a followup
then, and get their rabies vaccination.

Good move!

Also, Captain's gums are inflamed and his lymph nodes are a
little enlarged. This could be from the URI he's fighting off,
or it could be something else (a bacterial infection that I
can't remember the name of). If the gums don't show improvement,
I'm to bring him back so they can check to make sure it's not
that sort of infection. If it IS that, there's a specific
antibiotic for it that he'll have to take for 6 weeks.

I'm going to have to repeat something Megan wrote about -
Bartonella.

Other than that, the boys are eating, drinking, playing,
purring, sleeping and using the litterboxes pretty much
normally.

I'd appreciate some purrs that the boys' URI symptoms, plus
Captain's other inflammation symptoms, all go away. Because
other than those things, the vet visit went well.

Of course. PUrrs for the boys to feel better soon. And more purrs
for the couple who lost their beloved pet.

--
Cheryl
Old January 25th 05, 04:46 AM
Marina

Gabey8 wrote:

Once we got there, they purred all over the vet tech and the vet. )
Stanley thought that his chart was something to curl up on, so he did.
That made life interesting for the vet, who was trying to actually write
down some information. Not to be outdone, when it was Captain's turn, he
thought the vet was scratching that pen on the paper in order to coax him
to bat it around, so he tried.

Such good boys you have there. Frank used to be nice at the vet's
before. That was until they started pricking him each and every time to
take blood for his thyroid tests. We're purring that Captain and Stanley
remain good boys, that their URIs clear up without nasty medication, and
also for the couple who lost their kitty. May they soon be owned again.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old January 25th 05, 11:08 AM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs for the URI to go away and gentle hugs for the couple who lost
their kitty,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Gabey8" gabey8-@-aol-dot-com (formerly dgabriel-at-netaxs-dot-com) wrote
in message
lkaboutpets.com...
snip

Old January 25th 05, 04:39 PM
Kreisleriana

On 24 Jan 2005 13:24:52 -0800, "Mischief"
yodeled:

Awwww, every vet tech just loooooves little kittens!!
Purrs that their URI gets better!

Kristi

Hey! You mean back when I took Stinky for his first vet visit, and he
had to stay overnight, and when I came and got him, and the
receptionist said to me-- "OH, everybody LOVES him! He's the sweetest
little guy!"-- you mean she said that to *all* the kitten-moms? ;P

Theresa
Old January 25th 05, 07:21 PM
SUQKRT

In article , Marina
wrote:

him each and every time to
take blood for his thyroid tests. We're purring that Captain and Stanley

remain good boys, that their URIs clear up without nasty medication, and also
for the couple who lost their kitty. May they soon be owned again.

Purrs for your Boys.
Suz
Macmoosette

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
--Faith Resnick

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")