I have discovered

Old July 31st 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`[_2_]

Default I have discovered

You are absolutely right my dear Granby
Hug
Kyla

"Granby"
"never give anyone a hard time"

NEVER!
"Will in New Haven"
On Jul 30, 3:12 pm, "Granby" :
I have discovered that putting someone in KF does no good, they just
keep
showing on other posts of people I read.

I just wish we could drop some of the stuff and move on back to our
"family"
type caring. Yeah, I know old lady wants harmony and life isn't like
that.

I've been on UseNet since the beginning of time without a killfile.
There's little point to them if they DO keep you from seeing someone's
messages and less if they don't. Of course, I am the soul of kindness
and never give anyone a hard time and only person in all that time has
come to New Haven with the stated intention of doing me bodily harm.

--
Will in New Haven

Old July 31st 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I love the "PLONK" especially on trolls. Feels like putting their heads
underwater, putting a bucket over it and dropping a big rock. OK no one
ever said I couldn't be weird.
"Joy" wrote in message
wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

But thats just me, and I won't condemn others for using them, although
I do
dislike the "PLONK!" as a way to do the usenet equivalent of sticking
your
fingers in your ears and yelling 'lalalalala' :-)

I read the "PLONK" as a way of trying to do a big, dramatic exit and
get the last word in an argument. If you don't want to want to read
someone's posts, just KF them discreetly - there's no need for drama.

It's just odd to me, to hear this line of reasoning about killfiles,
that it's some kind of weakness. And it's not just you, Yowie - I've
heard it from several people. (Your point about not condemning others
for using KFs is well-taken though - thanks.) But I "grew up" on Usenet
and email lists, hearing this much-repeated mantra: "You know how to
use the delete key." This was always invoked whenever someone started
bitching about things other people were saying. In fact, it was
considered rude *not* to use the delete key when necessary. I guess
beliefs have changed?

I think it's important to remember that this isn't an in-person
conversation, where it would indeed be rude to ignore certain
individuals in a group. It's just individual people scattered over
the globe, sitting alone at their individual computers, and having
several simultaneous conversations using the same medium. So naturally,
we're going to read some of the discussions and not others. And
naturally,
we're going to like some of the people and not others. The beauty of
online communication is that you can choose not to interact with some
of the people, without it disrupting the overall social environment.
It's important to make the distinction between online and in-person
social interactions. I think a lot of people tend to forget that there
even *is* a distinction.

I don't mean to detract from your desire for self-control, etc. Just
wanted to say a little more about my philosopy of internet socializing.

--
Joyce ^..^

I agree with you, Joyce. I wish more people would do that, or take their
arguments to email, instead of attacking and/or bickering on the
newsgroup.

Joy

Old July 31st 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`[_2_]

"Joy"
bastXXXette
Yowie :

[...]

I agree with all of you, and I also wish people would take their arguments
to e-mail.
RPCA is supposed to be a fun place, and altho I've only been here since
March, I've grown to love it here
Hugs to all
Kyla

Old July 31st 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`[_2_]

Luckily, I haven't seen any trolls here lately, but the PLONK works for me
on that one too
Hug
Kyla
--also wierd
"Granby"

Old August 1st 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"outsider" wrote in message

"Yowie" wrote in
:

on killfiles

Currently no-one from RPCA is in there.

Yowie

Is one of them being spied upon by the uk government via his TV set?

No, but they are kindred spirits to the person who does believe they are
being spied on :-). Of the two that are permanantly in there, one has
associated th strange notion that because a girl he knew in kindergarten who
went missing has a similar name to the daughter of a University lecturer,
and both girls are of a similar age, he is under the impression that the
University lecturer must have killed his kindergarten friend after she said
'no' to his misplaced incestuous sexual advances. He writes all sorts of
strange revenge rants, most of which are totally incoherant. Sadly he is
also a wiz at computers, so I miss the helpful tips he supplies to those who
ask, but it does make for a far more uncluttered read. The second also
suffers from obvious mental disquiet, but this time he continually rants
about sodomy, all in capitals, and often posts the exact same post time
after time with only seconds between the time stamps (as if he's hit 'send'
compulsively). Those who have asked him to not to hit send compulsively or
who have asked him not to 'yell' are then accused of sodomising him (with
the 'crime' described in graphic detail), with the associated long rants. As
both tend to write long strange rants and whether or not they receive
replies, throwing them both into the killfile does not seem wrong to me.

There are two others that spend a fair bit of time in there, and again, I
suspect some sort of mental illness. These two, however, are far more
coherant and give the guise of conversation and interaction, for a little
while anyway. The first has a pet subject that could (at extreme tangents)
be 'somewhat' on topic for the group (sort of like 'how cats first became
pets' could be tangentally On Topic here, at least for a little while.
Whilst he is articulate and clever, any and all conversation leads back to
his Pet Theory, and for the life of all others in the group, we have been
unable to get him to understand no-one is interested and whilst he is
entitled to his beliefs, it has been thoroughly been discredited by the
experts as a scientific theory. He pops in and out of my killfile because I
find him immensely frustrating to deal with. At the moment, instead of
killfilling all his posts, I have taken to marking all his posts in fuschia,
just so I can 'eyeball' a thread and see how much interaction he's having in
it. If its just fuschia - black -fuschia - black - fuschia - black all down
the screen, I read the first and the last post int he thread just to see if
I was mistaken about its content (rarely) and mark it as read.

The last person who bounces in and out of my killfile is more difficult
again. Considered as much a regular as myself in the list we both inhabit,
this person just seems to whine all the time about how hard their life is.
There's always some trouble that they want sympathy and 'prayers' for. I too
sent sympathy, prayers, 'energy', candlelight (even purrs once when I got
mixed up) and even a small amount of cash a few times. But after years of
reading how terrible their life is without having seen a balancing 'good
side', I have run out of sympathy, and now think that alot of their troubles
are self inflicted. They bounce in and out of my killfile because
occasionally I am struck by the urge to give them the mail-list equivalent
of a shape slap across the face with a "get *over* yourself". I know it
would not help in any way (I've seen my betters try), and cause harm to
untold people as the fall out disrupted the whole group, So if I find myself
writing a 'slap in the face' post directed at that person, I *try* to stop,
killfile the person irritating me, and stay away from that group for a few
days. Once I've gotten over *my*self, I let said person out of my killfile
and remind myself it takes all types, and there's no-one forcing me to read
their posts nor the responses to their posts, and I am not in any way
entitled to dictate how other people behave because the only person I have
control over is my *self*. I am left to ponder what it is about *me* that
makes me react in such a way to them when so many others seem to value their
input into the group, and resolve to do better next time.

Again, no-one in RPCA is a permanant resident or regular visitor of my
kill-file

Yowie

Old August 2nd 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Granby" wrote in message

"never give anyone a hard time"

Oh dear.

None of us would be here if the previous generation hadn't given at least
one other person 'a hard time'

snicker

Yowie

Old August 2nd 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Granby" wrote in message

"never give anyone a hard time"

Oh dear.

None of us would be here if the previous generation hadn't given at least
one other person 'a hard time'

snicker

Yowie

snerk Bad, Yowie, to the time-out corner with you young lady! ;

Head Butts,

CatNipped

Old August 2nd 08, 11:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Yowie wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message

"never give anyone a hard time"

Oh dear.

None of us would be here if the previous generation hadn't given at
least one other person 'a hard time'

snicker

Yowie

Are you saying you made things hard for Joel? Norty gurl. ;-)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 2nd 08, 12:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Adrian" wrote in message
om
Yowie wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message

"never give anyone a hard time"

Oh dear.

None of us would be here if the previous generation hadn't given at
least one other person 'a hard time'

snicker

Yowie

Are you saying you made things hard for Joel? Norty gurl. ;-)

Joel: "Not often enough". LOL

Yowie