RWatchtower (Jehovah's Witnesses) to BAN PUSSIES for Cult-members?e: H

Old September 15th 03, 07:06 PM
Cat Protector

Well my thing with Agua Girl is that she suddenly saw the word Pentagram and
all of a sudden she turned it into a picking on Pagans thing. No Pagans were
even mentioned until she brought it up. I guess some people need the
spotlight no matter what the topic is. No offense was meant but I guess AG
wishes to see people who mention Pentagrams as being bad people. I killfiled
her though since it was obvious that despite anything said or any apology
offered she still wants to call people names and then judge them. It must be
great for her to be judge, jury and executioner so instead of continuing the
debate I killfiled her. It is much easier to do that than to keep the war
going.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Priscilla H Ballou" wrote in message

Making use of stereotypes about Pagans could certainly be interpretted as
"picking on" them. I found myself somewhat bothered by the post in
question myself. And I'm not even Pagan!

You seem to mention the Star of David as being similar or looking similar

the Pentagram. How is that possible? They look nothing alike.

IIRC, the comparison was to the stars in the US flag. And she's spot on
with that.

I think a little sensitivity towards a group of religions which has been
traditionally discriminated against would be in order.

Priscilla, who's learned what the five points of the pentagram stand for,
thanks to this thread!

Old September 15th 03, 07:09 PM
Agua Girl

"Priscilla H Ballou" wrote in message
In rec.pets.cats.rescue Cat Protector wrote:
Nobody was picking on Pagans here.

Making use of stereotypes about Pagans could certainly be interpretted as
"picking on" them. I found myself somewhat bothered by the post in
question myself. And I'm not even Pagan!

You seem to mention the Star of David as being similar or looking similar

the Pentagram. How is that possible? They look nothing alike.

IIRC, the comparison was to the stars in the US flag. And she's spot on
with that.

Actually I did mention the Star of David. I know that star has six points
and
looks more like entertwined triangles but if an upside pentagram can look
like
a regular one...well... g.

I was Pagan before I knew what pagan was :-). I researched everything
including
the pentagram before I started wearing one. It's really a beautiful
concept...the
symbol itself, and it has a long long history. The use of the inverted
pentagram
didn't happen until the 20th century when the statanist or "black magic"
cults
started inverting it to represent the individuals goals over the spirit.
Even that isn't
evil as much as it is selfish and short sighted.

I think a little sensitivity towards a group of religions which has been
traditionally discriminated against would be in order.

Agreed. That's all I was really asking. I guess it's hard for some people
believe that persecution can actually still exist in this day and age. You
would
think we had grown beyond that. Just as jokes about racism are harmful to
those still dealing with it...jokes about religions are harmful. And I
don't mean
the "a rabbi, a priest and a minister walk into a bar" jokes...I mean the
comments
that perpetuate myths and stereotypes spoken in jest. Not everyone gets
that it's
a joke unless it ends in some punch line so the stereotypes live on.
Sensitivity
is not everyone's strong suit. :-)

Priscilla, who's learned what the five points of the pentagram stand for,
thanks to this thread!|

Cool, I learned something too. I looked up the whole satan aspect. I had
read something about it moons ago but wanted to be sure before I posted
my concerns. Good habit that :-) I am sorry I carried on so long though.
This is a fun group about cats..not a religious discussion group. I didn't
expect it to get so out of hand. To bring it back on topic....Sasha
was almost named Silver because she kept stealing my silver chain (and
pentagram) off my night stand. I guess it just looked like something she
needed
to play with. Now I hang it up at night and she has moved on to other off
limit items. :-)

AG

Old September 15th 03, 08:08 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

In rec.pets.cats.rescue Cat Protector wrote:
Well my thing with Agua Girl is that she suddenly saw the word Pentagram and
all of a sudden she turned it into a picking on Pagans thing.

You want to tell me about any other religious group that uses pentagrams?
What you're saying is sort of like saying "why did that Jew think I was
talking about Judaism when I made reference to a star of David?"

Priscilla
Old September 15th 03, 10:01 PM
Dee

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:08:12 +0000 (UTC)
From: Priscilla H Ballou
Newsgroups: alt.cats, rec.pets.cats.misc, rec.pets.cats.rescue
Subject: Watchtower (Jehovah's Witnesses) to BAN PUSSIES: JW Idjit
Sornson

In rec.pets.cats.rescue Cat Protector wrote:
Well my thing with Agua Girl is that she suddenly saw the word Pentagram and
all of a sudden she turned it into a picking on Pagans thing.

You want to tell me about any other religious group that uses pentagrams?
What you're saying is sort of like saying "why did that Jew think I was
talking about Judaism when I made reference to a star of David?"

If anyone's actually interested:

http://altreligion.about.com/library.../aa100102a.htm

Dee

Old September 16th 03, 03:38 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article Q7u9b.5275$v%5.51@fed1read02,
"Cat Protector" wrote:

Wiccans and satanists have also used Pentagrams.

Wiccans are clearly Pagan, and Satanists are also, I believe.

Priscilla
--
The Episcopal Church welcomes you... and you... and you....
Old September 16th 03, 04:59 AM
Agua Girl

news
"Cat Protector" wrote:

Wiccans and satanists have also used Pentagrams.

Wiccans are clearly Pagan, and Satanists are also, I believe.

Well, without getting into a huge discussion on terminology. Satanist
are pagans in the most base meaning of the word. Most pagans are
now using the term neopagan to try and differentiate but really the more
accepted definition of a Pagan is one who's spiritual path is Earth centered
and who's members respect the earth and live in harmony with the earths
cycles. The Native Americans were pagans..(as were thousands of cultures
before them) and most modern day pagans try to nourish the earth in much
the same way.
Satanist..if I understand them correctly..don't really consider themselves
"evil" or worship the dark lord but they don't observe the same Karmic
laws as Wiccan's and they don't believe in the spirit being higher than the
material self. Honestly, it is all so intermixed. I read a wonderful book
by
Raven Grimassi just this weekend called the spirit of the Witch. He
describes
a gathering of people forming a circle with a large crystal in the center.
Each
person describes the crystal and of course each person see's the crystal a
little
differently. Some see sharp edges, other see smooth surface,..etc. Each of
them is right and see the "true" crystal but only from their own
perspective. Only
by weaving their experience together can one know the true crystal...and
then
there are still hundreds of perspectives (above and below) that are yet
explored.
I see...(as Raven did) religions as being that way. Each of us see the
truth from
our own perspective. Each of us is right and each of us is wrong. Only the
most stubborn will refuse to accept anothers point of view as being "true"
(if
only from thier perspective). It's a great analogy. I have just read the
book but
I hope that visual sticks with me always.

AG (done with religion...I swear to ...err...I promise g)

Priscilla
--
The Episcopal Church welcomes you... and you... and you....

Old September 16th 03, 08:31 PM
Dee

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Priscilla Ballou wrote:

Wiccans are clearly Pagan, and Satanists are also, I believe.

LOL ...you believe huh?