Little Gray Cat

Old August 25th 04, 01:50 AM
CatNipped

Default Little Gray Cat

This is the little gray cat that hangs out in our back yard about 2 or 3
days out of the week (naturally we feed her). When we first moved in our
house, in November of 2003, we thought she might be pregnant and started
making plans for TNR. She kept getting bigger and bigger, but she never
produced any kittens (and went through kitten season without becoming
pregnant, so she must be already spayed). We finally figured out that she
was just getting fat from all the food we were giving her (she would scarf
it down like it was doing to disappear in front of her eyes). She finally
figured out that the food would always be there for her and she tapered off
her eating and lost the weight she had gained. We thought she started
hanging around our house because under the deck, next to the hot tub, was a
warm dry place to sleep in winter.

The last picture on this page is a close-up of her eyes. She's been like
this ever since we met her. Unfortunately, one week after buying the house,
I lost my job and then we had a string of misfortune that wiped out our
life's savings, so I just don't have the money to take her to a vet and have
her treated (we can barely afford to have our own 4 furbabies treated). Do
any of you know what might be wrong with her (I, personally, think it is
herpes, but Ben thinks it's just "weepy eyes" or allergies).

http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/LittleGrayCat/

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 25th 04, 02:10 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "CatNipped"
wrote:

[...]

I wish I knew more of the anatomy of a cat's eyes. What I'm wondering if
the filmy area near her nose, on both sides, is the nicitating membrane
("third eyelid") unable to retract fully, possibly due to some "gunk"
under it, to use the technical term.

Mr. Clark tends toward weepy eyes, and more discharge than Little Gray
Cat. He responds to tetracycline opthalmic ointment, which is available
without prescription and isn't too expensive. Of course, I don't know
how this cat would take to your sticking goo in its eyes a couple of
times a day for a week.

She certainly seems to give off friendly and dignified vibes. I hope you
can help her.

Old August 25th 04, 02:14 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Howard
Berkowitz wrote:

Mr. Clark tends toward weepy eyes, and more discharge than Little Gray
Cat. He responds to tetracycline opthalmic ointment, which is available
without prescription and isn't too expensive. Of course, I don't know
how this cat would take to your sticking goo in its eyes a couple of
times a day for a week.

I was thinking chlortetracycline (Aureomycin) but wrote tetracycline.
I'm not sure there is a veterinary tetracycline opthalmic ointment, but
if there were, it should have the same effect.

Old August 25th 04, 02:21 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , CatNipped at
wrote on 8/24/04 7:50 PM:

http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/LittleGrayCat/

Looks to me like she got a little injury. She may just have a bit of
infection. Will she let you wash them with a warm cloth? If you have a good
relationship wiht your vet, they might even give you some drops. That
showing of the inner lid indicates that but it doesn't look red, which is
good. I bet a good opthamologic drop would do wonders. She sure is PRETTY!!!