Mom [OT]

Old March 26th 04, 10:33 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:31:08 -0600, "Karen"
yodeled:

"David Stevenson" wrote in message
Karen wrote
Yup. We call our "Mums" "Mom" or sometimes when younger "Mama" (though my
siblings and I held on to that one for a long time actually.) "Mother" is
generally held for referral use only OR when aggravated by said parent.

"Mums" and "Mama" sound fine to me.

Now here is the real question. How do you spell Mama? I have seen so many
variations over the years. Momma is how we spelled it growing up, but there
is also mama and mamma.

Karen

Also, do you promounce it MAma, with the stress on the first syllable
(down home- like) or MaMA, with the stress on the second (upper
clahss-like).

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old March 26th 04, 10:40 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:02:09 +0000 (UTC), David Stevenson
yodeled:

JBHajos wrote
I find it most annoying when little brats in American TV series refer
to "My Mom" or say something sick-making like "I love my Mom".

Oh, my!!! Most children, brats or not, call their mothers "Mom"
here. We don't think it's any worse than "Mum" which we'd never
criticize. (In fact, I think it's charming.) My 93-year-old mother
was "Mom" to us to her dying day. I am Mom to all seven of my
children, sons- and daughters-in-law, friends of the kids, and, in one
instance, the US Postal Service!! Wouldn't have it any other way!
Sorry it's offensive "over there."

I never said it was offensive "over here".

Annoying, then. Well, I think we've pretty well established that what
is annoying to you is pretty standard here. It's not some new horror
that some obnoxious TV writers came up with, just to honk you off.

Haven't you ever heard of "Mom and Apple Pie"?

Old March 26th 04, 10:51 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

What I am curious about is the word 'Mom'. Is that what children
actually say? for that matter do they say that yucky word in England
nowadays?

Nathan, when younger, referred to me as "Mummy" Now he's a teenager, I'm "Mum"
I've always thought of "Mom" as a term from the other side of the pond ;-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old March 26th 04, 11:31 PM
Sherry

What I am curious about is the word 'Mom'. Is that what children
actually say? for that matter do they say that yucky word in England
nowadays?

I don't see what's yucky about it? It's just a word, for crying out loud. It's
been around forever. Ever seen any old Ameriican sitcoms? Even Beaver called
his mother "Mom"--and that was forty years ago.
FYI, if you turn the word MOM upside down, you get WOW, which my children said
stood for "Wicked Old Witch."

Sherry
Old March 27th 04, 12:14 AM
GraceCat

I don't know Dave... it certainly gave the impression that it offended
you. "Sick making" and "little brats" aren't exactly terms of
endearment.

I personally don't see anything wrong with Mom and taking the higher
road, I'll agree "Mum" does sound charming. But I will say that I
believe a post like this pushes the boundaries of the group. It's
provoking our (Americans) defense about our language and culture. We
never claimed that our spellings, pronounciations, and usage of common
English were the same as yours.

And I'm trying, but I don't understand why you want to call them "little
brats" because they called their mothers something they grew up. How
many "little brats" are aware that there are other names for Mother than
the one they use the most often? Sorry, but that type of attitude
borders on troll. Maybe it's the "Mom" in me, but I don't like hearing
children called out in a derogatory way when they haven't done a single
thing to deserve it.

Grace
who is glad she's a Mom too.

--
David Stevenson Storypage:

http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails

welcome
Nanki Poo: SI Bp+W B 10 Y L+ W++ C+ I T+ A- E H++ V- F Q P B+ PA+ PL+

SC
Minke: SI W+Cp B 1 Y++ L-- W- C+

Old March 27th 04, 12:34 AM
lrulan

Heh, MOM is a short version of MOMMY, which we use here in the US instead of
the British Mummy or Mum.

My daughter says MOTHER when she is ready to complain about something.
Jazz and his MAMA

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

"Karen" wrote in message
Yup. We call our "Mums" "Mom" or sometimes when younger "Mama" (though my
siblings and I held on to that one for a long time actually.) "Mother" is
generally held for referral use only OR when aggravated by said parent.

Karen

"David Stevenson" wrote in message

I find it most annoying when little brats in American TV series refer
to "My Mom" or say something sick-making like "I love my Mom".

What I am curious about is the word 'Mom'. Is that what children
actually say? for that matter do they say that yucky word in England
nowadays?

If anyone wonders what my problem is then I learnt 'Mum' and 'Mummy'
and never heard this word 'Mom' until a few years ago.

Old March 27th 04, 12:41 AM
Mishi

"David Stevenson" wrote in message

I find it most annoying when little brats in American TV series refer
to "My Mom"

As a reunited birth mother, the greatest words in the world are "I love you,
Mom!"

Patti
birthmother to Beth and Bill, and grandma to Jade and Jenna