I found the tip of my cat's tail.

Old February 6th 05, 12:33 AM
Tee

Default I found the tip of my cat's tail.

I am baffled how I came upon about 1 1/4" end of my cat's tail. I actually
found it in my car which makes me think that it had probably stuck to
something in my home and somehow ended up in the back of my SUV. I spotted
a clump of her fur and it was attached to a small cigar-shaped materal. I
was taking her to the vet to have her nails clipped so I asked the girls at
the desk if that in fact was the tail end of my cat's tail. They verified
that it was. I knew that whenever I would pet my cat and also include her
tail in my petting, her tail felt funny at the end, sorta scabby or
something, but didn't give it much thought. Then after about a month I
noticed her tail felt smooth, so I figured whatever was going on had healed.
I have another cat who has no claws and since I brought this new kitty into
my home last year, they don't always get along, although they have made
great strides. Do you think the other kitty may have bitten it off in a
fight. I can't figure out how this could have happened. If you have had a
similar experience please let me know. All in all, kitty is doing
fine...her tail is just a tad shorter.

Old February 7th 05, 08:29 PM

Tee wrote:
snip....
I can't figure out how this could have happened. If you have had a
similar experience please let me know. All in all, kitty is doing
fine...her tail is just a tad shorter.

Years ago my Pip used to sun herself daily on the back porch. As I was
entering the apartment she decided to come in at the last minute,
darting inside as I pulled the heavy old door shut. Okay, I slammed
it. Not a yelp, not a yowl....nothing. I knew she had cut it close
but assumed she'd cleared the door without incident and we went about
our evening routine.

About ten minutes later, I discovered what appeared to be a sliver of
cartilage encased in a little black tuft of fur on the door jamb.
Thoroughly unmoved by the event, she sat quietly awaiting her dinner
while I sobbed hysterically on the kitchen floor. Had I not found her
tail stuck to the door jamb so quickly, I would have been none the
wiser.

Though it appeared she did not suffer any visible (or audible) pain
from the incident, her tail was always discernibly shorter. At least
to me it was.

So I guess what happened to your cat is anybody's guess. I do hope she
recovers as well as the Pipsta did.

Regards

Old February 7th 05, 09:39 PM
Karen

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tee wrote:
snip....
[...]

*shudder*

Old February 7th 05, 10:59 PM
Tee

Thank you for the responses and thanks for sharing your story Marie. Maybe
that's what happened, maybe she did get her tail caught in the door and
never made a peep. I would imagine it would be painful and they would let
out some sort of yelp. Do you think the area is not so sensitive? I just
don't know how she lost that piece of her tail. It is all dried out which
makes me believe it happened sometime ago. How I found it in the back of my
SUV I'll never know. All I can guess is that it was stuck to something in
my home, i.e., my handbag or whatever, and then ended up in my suv. I do
not let her in the SUV w/o being in a carrier so I know she didn't have an
accident in my car. I have another cat, and as I said it has taken them a
good year to get used to each other. Sometimes Ms. Shorttail does
antagonize my older cat and he may have one day just let her know who was
boss. I'll never know.

Thanks.

" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip....

Old February 7th 05, 11:38 PM
Laura M

Oh my gosh, I know I shouldn't be sitting here laughing, but your story
cracked me up! THe part about your cat waiting for dinner while you
sobbed hysterically was just too much! I have two kitties (tails in
tact) so I'm not laughing at you. Really! Thanks for giving me a good
laugh today.

Old February 8th 05, 09:15 PM

Karen wrote:

*shudder*

I know, if I retrospect too deeply it still conjures a chill.